mr2 engine swap

nuken00

Sep 29, 2005
dear sifus, my mr2 sw20 engine already kong...now really have to change to a new engine..could the new celica engine(2ZZ-ge) fit in my car..if cannot,what other engine could fit in my car..prefer N/A..

LA53OKD

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
KL
go for the revision 3 3sge.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
get another SW20 engine be it NA (beams) or turbo. i heard someone wanted to bring back(one of the threads here) a SW20 2.0L BEAMs.

in japan the ZZW series engines are all BEAMs. (though no BEAMs word on engine head but at toyota websites ZZW series thru evolving from the earlier BEAMs)

the 2ZZGE from the celica is still $$$, & will likely may not have enough torque as SW20 base weight is probably as heavy as the current celica.

both MR-S & the lotus elise S2 benefit from 2zz as the are much lighter.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
get another SW20 engine be it NA (beams) or turbo. i heard someone wanted to bring back(one of the threads here) a SW20 2.0L BEAMs.

in japan the ZZW series engines are all BEAMs. (though no BEAMs word on engine head but at toyota websites ZZW series thru evolving from the earlier BEAMs)

the 2ZZGE from the celica is still $$$, & will likely may not have enough torque as SW20 base weight is probably as heavy as the current celica.

both MR-S & the lotus elise S2 benefit from 2zz as the are much lighter.

nuken00

Sep 29, 2005
thanx
will try and look for it
price wise?for the beams engine

nuken00

Sep 29, 2005
sifus ive done my researh..seems that the beams engine(3SGE) is nice..question is
1)how hard is it to get the engine?
2)is it just drop in swap?
3)can the engine from celica fit mr2..cause the engine model same number..altezza also using 3sge engine if im not wrong..
4)lastly,gearbox which 1 do i need to use..same halfcut gears or my old gear

nuken00

Sep 29, 2005
sifus ive done my researh..seems that the beams engine(3SGE) is nice..question is
1)how hard is it to get the engine?
2)is it just drop in swap?
3)can the engine from celica fit mr2..cause the engine model same number..altezza also using 3sge engine if im not wrong..
4)lastly,gearbox which 1 do i need to use..same halfcut gears or my old gear

LA53OKD

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
KL
1)its very hard to get as they only made 1000 units and its all over the world by now

2)its a drop in swap but you need to get all the wiring and ECUs' to come back from the halfcut

3)celica engine have to do mods but im not so sure how compatible cuz i think the ECU is different (not sure)

4)u can use your old gearbox BUT its better to use the gearbox which came back with the halfcut cuz its got better ratios

=D

thats about all i can give to your questions

but my recommendation is to save $$$ by getting the revision 3 halfcut NA if you want to keep it an NA. its a pretty good engine (from experience) and the half cut is cheap! and it gives you spare cash for MODS hehehe with a little tuning the engine is very nice =)

Last edited:

LA53OKD

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
KL
if you can find it then go ahead but there will be mods that you have to do to fit it in. not so simple so u need to make sure you find someone who can do it right. the camry v6 is a 3 litre tho so road tax will be higher and also fuel consumption but ofcourse having that engine in our cars would be superb. handling would be different tho cuz as you increase the weight at the back youre going to get more understeer and bigger snaps of oversteer. it all depends on what youre going to use the car for =)

nuken00

Sep 29, 2005
i want the engine to be simple and got power...how about altezza engine..could i just drop in the engine as its the same model 3sge..anyone have tried it before??but i thing tranny surely got problems..

LA53OKD

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
KL
yeah it would be a problem as its an FR engine. if you want simple and powerful then get the 245 engine and keep it stock la.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just to let u guys know that skunk2 fake intake manifold has arrive on our shore.
so for those potential buyer,be aware what u paid for.what i'm afraid of is some
of the shop pass it as genuine item.i'm not saying that they purposely sell u a fake
1 and claim it to be genuine but some of them doesn't even know how to tell the
different.that's not all,some of their supplier don't even bother to tell them.
for those of u who don't know how to differentiate between them,just look
at the vacuum...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience