More problem....rust in my boot floor...advice needed

iameternal

Known Member

iameternal

Known Member
May 16, 2019
recently opening up to check my spare tire ended up finding the boot floor is rusted here and there..

any sifu here know what is the best solution for now?

should i sand it?

or can i just apply of some those rust remover spray? after spraying i need to wipe it dry?

after that i should use a coating? what brand? type? i still can get a color that match my car rite?

thank you !

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Sand down and paint back. Color up to you whether you want it to match since it is inside. Nowadays new cars, spare tyre compartment not painted with car color.....lol
Check where it is leaking, try to repair.

Reactions: Izso

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
My way;
1.Use wire brush until can see bare metal.
2.If there is small holes i will used the house roof patch tape ( the one with chrome exposed surface and bitumen-like adhesive ). I used heat gun to melt the bitumen-like adhesive.
3.If no holes i will apply red oxie primer, 2 layer of it.
4.Apply underseal paint, the smooth type. I will always do this to conceal area as underseal is much more robust compared to normal paint.

Reactions: parakey and Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm not as hardworking as gunnerzz.

I sanded off the rust, wiped it down clean with IPA, sprayed a layer of rust protectent, then final coat of paint on top.

iameternal

Known Member

iameternal

Known Member
May 16, 2019
My way;
1.Use wire brush until can see bare metal.
2.If there is small holes i will used the house roof patch tape ( the one with chrome exposed surface and bitumen-like adhesive ). I used heat gun to melt the bitumen-like adhesive.
3.If no holes i will apply red oxie primer, 2 layer of it.
4.Apply underseal paint, the smooth type. I will always do this to conceal area as underseal is much more robust compared to normal paint.

looks like a lot of work...haha

iameternal

Known Member

iameternal

Known Member
May 16, 2019
I'm not as hardworking as gunnerzz.

I sanded off the rust, wiped it down clean with IPA, sprayed a layer of rust protectent, then final coat of paint on top.
i thought of just sand or brush off to bare metal and spray paint on it, is this anti rust thing necessary?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
looks like a lot of work...haha
Nope, really easy.
I strongly recommend using primer. U can left the primer as it is and dont use colour paint.
Using colour paint only might not last long and moat of the time the paint have a hard time sticking to bare metal.

I think my waja spare tire area is fully covered with underseal after i discovered a swimming pool under there. Its no longer leaking but i still covered tye area fully as we dont regularly check the area. Better safe than sorry.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I put some towels on the top edge, if that is wet, means still got leak......lol
As for inside, if leak until get pool, I remove the rubber stopper permanently, to let the water out...haha

Reactions: alcyon

alcyon

500 RPM

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Sand off the rust, wipe clean. Apply permatex rust converter, let it dry,then paint over. Next you need to prevent water from coming in the boot. Find out where its coming from and fix that. Most probably the metal under your boot seal lip is rusted through..

Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi loyal Zerotohundred.com people,

Welcome to Malaysia, West Coast Customs!

After being kept a secret from the public for months, the news has finally been released. The guys from West Coast Customs are in Malaysia for a tour!

Many organisations collaborated to make this happen, which will be announced soon.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience