Modified Proton Inspira for smooth driving on bad road condition or off road

johnstoney86

Mar 16, 2015
Sarawak
Request the tips for upgrade proton inspira car structure and suspension system for smooth driving on bad road condition or off road

Will the strut bar and sway bar strengthen the car structure and make the car structure more durable for off road (bad road condition) driving? How to enhance the car suspension system to make it more stable and smooth driving on bad road condition or off road?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If want smooth ride keep the suspension stock. Modify to be stable means harder springs or absorber then ride will be bumpy.

Going off road better get SUV

johnstoney86

Mar 16, 2015
Sarawak
If want smooth ride keep the suspension stock. Modify to be stable means harder springs or absorber then ride will be bumpy.

Going off road better get SUV
I target SUV and Pickup before this. However, both most SUV and Pickup came with big CC, high fuel consumption and high maintenance fee for diesel engine. Really not a good option to me with salary that only enough to eat. That why I turn target 2nd hand Inspira 1.8E MT for the reason that Inspira and Mushibishi are sharing the same technology platform. Indeed, both cars are inherent same technology from Lotus (for suspension) and Mitsubishi (4B10 1.8 MIVEC Mushibishi engine and Multi-ECI fuel injection). Most important, the car has big space, good to drive, and mitsubishi spare part are easy to find.

By the way, I am from Sarawak and the road condition is bumpy and suck.:mad: Even Hilux are also hard to survive at the bad road condition (Except for SUV but most more than 100K for brand new) Not even mention, saga, persona, myvi, axia, all this new car will not able to survive more than 5 years for long distance drive at Sarawak. That why, I have give up my first choice to buy new good luxury car like City and Vios. It simply not worth for long distance driving at Sarawak.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Since you need the space too, if not got small SUV also. Chery Tiggo, Great Wall Haval M4 or even Honda HR-V.

Anyway since you already have the Inspira keep it stock. Harden the suspension for your bad road there will be worse....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
A good suspension system isn't all about hardness. A good system is about how much compliance it could best offer to:
absorb bumps/potholes (road condition)
keeping the constant tyre contact patches on the road
keeping the car level and stable

The spring rate, shock absorber rebound rate, type of suspension system, suspension system travel, etc... work in tandem to provide the best ride. Even changing tyre air pressure could make some changes of how the car drives and performs. You'll can experiment more if you change the tyre profile/section, rubber compound, etc

Weight distribution and live-load on the car oso effect the car's handling.

There are lots of variables to consider.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
A good suspension system isn't all about hardness. A good system is about how much compliance it could best offer to:
absorb bumps/potholes (road condition)
keeping the constant tyre contact patches on the road
keeping the car level and stable

The spring rate, shock absorber rebound rate, type of suspension system, suspension system travel, etc... work in tandem to provide the best ride. Even changing tyre air pressure could make some changes of how the car drives and performs. You'll can experiment more if you change the tyre profile/section, rubber compound, etc

Weight distribution and live-load on the car oso effect the car's handling.

There are lots of variables to consider.
Yes, correct but then if you want it to be more stable, slight stiffening will be required and especially off road, soft suspension will have too much body roll. Too hard also will not be good that is why I ask him to keep stock as that have been calculated by manufacturer to be best compromise for comfort and stability....:driver:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yes, correct but then if you want it to be more stable, slight stiffening will be required and especially off road, soft suspension will have too much body roll. Too hard also will not be good that is why I ask him to keep stock as that have been calculated by manufacturer to be best compromise for comfort and stability....:driver:
The most important thing about suspension when going off road or on a super bad road is suspension articulation.
Which is why most older gen suv or pickup does not have rear anti roll bar.its to allow better movement of the rear axle to provide max tyre contact on rough surface.

My following suggestion will sound sort of crazy but it will improve comfort slightly on very bad or rough road.The suggestion is to remove or disconnect the anti roll bar esp on the rear.if u remove the front oso then it will be even more comfortable but your car will fight your steering input on corner.

why this work?
Because the left and right suspension is doing job on their side only and not transfering the force to the other side.u cam feel the suspension becomes a bit softer.did u know land rover have a function which can disconnect the rear anti roll bar for offroad purpose?

Strut bar is not recommended.yes it does strengthen the chassis a bit but your ride will be firmer and uncomfortable.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The most important thing about suspension when going off road or on a super bad road is suspension articulation.
Which is why most older gen suv or pickup does not have rear anti roll bar.its to allow better movement of the rear axle to provide max tyre contact on rough surface.

My following suggestion will sound sort of crazy but it will improve comfort slightly on very bad or rough road.The suggestion is to remove or disconnect the anti roll bar esp on the rear.if u remove the front oso then it will be even more comfortable but your car will fight your steering input on corner.

why this work?
Because the left and right suspension is doing job on their side only and not transfering the force to the other side.u cam feel the suspension becomes a bit softer.did u know land rover have a function which can disconnect the rear anti roll bar for offroad purpose?

Strut bar is not recommended.yes it does strengthen the chassis a bit but your ride will be firmer and uncomfortable.
Yes, good idea, but he needs for both on road and off road, so taking the ARB out, his on road will suffer. Best to keep stock still stands.......hahhahaa:driver:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yes, good idea, but he needs for both on road and off road, so taking the ARB out, his on road will suffer. Best to keep stock still stands.......hahhahaa:driver:
My waja's rear arb link is snap since last week.can feel its abit more comfy.
Handling suffer as the rear does not compliment the front at high speed bend.

I havent replace it as i no longer travel on twisty road often.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My waja's rear arb link is snap since last week.can feel its abit more comfy.
Handling suffer as the rear does not compliment the front at high speed bend.

I havent replace it as i no longer travel on twisty road often.
You now town driver....hahhaha
Bro. johnstone needs, as his Sarawak roasd are winding......:smokin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
You now town driver....hahhaha
Bro. johnstone needs, as his Sarawak roasd are winding......:smokin:
Very dull lh driving in town.only can tapau some young wannabe on straight. I will replace the link and the bush too.the cause for it to break is i am using teflon as bush so the handling improve by alot.
left and right work as one and u can feel the bite and connection of the rear.however teflon does not absorb some of the force which causes the link to snap when driving on rough surface.back to rubber bush after this.

one more way for TS to improve comfort is to go for tyre with softer sidewall.it really does have a different.tire like my current bs ep200,xm2,viking city tech,and others.
these tire transfer lesser bump force to the suspension hence improving comfort.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Totally removing the ARBs may be an overkill. Rather than upgrading your ARB, you may want to undersize them for bad road conditions. Ride would be comfier and you may even experience better tyre contact to the road. Then again, I am not sure where to find smaller bars for your Inspira. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Very dull lh driving in town.only can tapau some young wannabe on straight. I will replace the link and the bush too.the cause for it to break is i am using teflon as bush so the handling improve by alot.
left and right work as one and u can feel the bite and connection of the rear.however teflon does not absorb some of the force which causes the link to snap when driving on rough surface.back to rubber bush after this.

one more way for TS to improve comfort is to go for tyre with softer sidewall.it really does have a different.tire like my current bs ep200,xm2,viking city tech,and others.
these tire transfer lesser bump force to the suspension hence improving comfort.
His idea to go from 16" to 15" and using 65 series instead of 60 can help a lot on the comfort....:driver:

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Totally removing the ARBs may be an overkill. Rather than upgrading your ARB, you may want to undersize them for bad road conditions. Ride would be comfier and you may even experience better tyre contact to the road. Then again, I am not sure where to find smaller bars for your Inspira. :biggrin:
Better keep as standard so best of both world. Changing to smaller may be better off road but may not be for tarmac and the road TS travels on is winding and hilly....:driver:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
sorry..i skipped all the reading...

for offroad/rough road condition... DO NOT add any strut bar and thick antirollbar... it would only introduce harshness in ride comfort...

if accessible, use smaller diameter antirollbar....

if not..just maintain all stock suspension...and downsize the stock rim size from 16" into 15" but use thicker tyre...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there ,
This is the first time I post thread.......:)
Hope to gain some information from all car enthusiasts here/ senior
I knew a turbo kit is about 2500.
Then Including other necessary changes .....
My question is, what about the JPJ part ?????
Sure can isit , if i want to bold on turbo kit ?? Or any other problem ???

If I have the choice, MIVEC 1.6 better or Turbo KIt ??????

Please inform me every sifus and seniors. THANKS :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience