Modification of the NA engine

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
Andres said:
yalah, if really wan to increase HP in easy way is TURBO. BUt, the turbo car compare to our daily car the maintannace is more high? example like: fuel combustion , turbo kit spoiled, intercooler problem... etc. all also is only turbo car have... so??? pls advice
yes but that's only the case if you torture your car and not taking care of it properly.

turbo fuel consumption can be low if you don't rev it/lap all the time since if the turbo didn't kick in it uses way less fuel. Turbo will hardly spoil if you take good care of it and not abuse it. about the intercooler, i've not had any turbo car before, but the only problem i've heard about so far is those front mount i/c got damaged by flying chips of stones :D

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
Fuel comsumption is actually lower if u drive on highways and dun always floor.. intercooler problem all those can be solve with a good mechanic.. as long he knows what he is doing.. all this shouldn't have any problem

Honestly if u trash ur NA engine.. the bill would be just as bad as ur turbo car's repair bill man.. trust me been there..

Last edited:

bcteh

Dec 4, 2005
With this kind of mod, I would advice him to do engine transplant ....much cheaper.

rollakid said:
Here's a common way of upgrading an NA engine, although in a general way and not specific to any model and do not need to be strictly followed:

1. Good lubricant, less friction means more power.

2. Intake and exhaust, note that drop in filter is better for light mod since open pod/cone filter draws in hot air = less power, unless your car is for track racing where it move fast enough to ram cold air in your engine bay everytime or you can afford cold air intake system.

3. Adjustable cam pulley. can adjust for predictable power, but if you have variable cam timing, might as well leave it, better for everyday driving.

4. mild cams, extra power with stock ecu.

5. use lightened flywheel

6. go for aftermarket programable ecu, and throw in racing cam inside, as high as you can accept.

7. rebuild and balance the whole engine, do a 3 angle valve job or 5 angle one, port and polish the head.

8. do anything to increase your compresion ratio, but with malaysian's ron97 fuel i don't see too much increasement in power without suffering from knocking :D

thats about the general stuff you can do with your engine, other performance gain that do not have anything to do with the engine would be:
-use a good clutch system
-if you got the money and willing to learn, get a dog engagement gearbox
-use smaller size/lighter/balanced rim
-basically make your car have better power to weight ratio..

well, hope that helps...

Andres

Known Member
Jun 2, 2005
Penang
to all sifu, u all said is correct also, but however, u can post all the modification regarding the turbo or NA engine modification, let all of us also can refer to!!! :tee:

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
bcteh said:
With this kind of mod, I would advice him to do engine transplant ....much cheaper.
you mean transplat to a turbocharged engine? well yes, you can get all the power of the NA mod with a fraction of the cost by playing with turbo, but you will never get the satisfaction of squizing out every last hp out of that NA engine :D

how i wish there isn't any roadtax... so i can drive around in a 6 liter V8 everyday..

llsaw

Known Member
Dec 23, 2003
Penang
thespfiles.blogspot.com
"8. do anything to increase your compresion ratio, but with malaysian's ron97 fuel i don't see too much increasement in power without suffering from knocking"

I don't have any problems running on local fuel with 11.9 compression. It's all in the mapping but some Afterburn helps too..

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
llsaw said:
"8. do anything to increase your compresion ratio, but with malaysian's ron97 fuel i don't see too much increasement in power without suffering from knocking"

I don't have any problems running on local fuel with 11.9 compression. It's all in the mapping but some Afterburn helps too..
yes i do know that, tho i've only heard about 11.5 before, so thanks for your info :D but you can't deny that having low octane fuel is robbing precious horsepower especially for NA engine.

V8_nutter

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
97 octane is low, suitable for on the road use only. If you have more than 11+ compression and high ignition, engine will knock like crazy.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
ron97 compare to US sure not low lar.. but compare to the rest of the more developped country sure on the lower side. me still dreaming of pumping 100 octane fuel in petrol station...

V8_nutter

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
llsaw said:

If you're running 11.9 and engine is in "safe" condition meaning that your setup is "mild". Im running that compression wif avgas only, cause even V Power will knock like hell.

V8_nutter

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
rollakid said:
ron97 compare to US sure not low lar.. but compare to the rest of the more developped country sure on the lower side. me still dreaming of pumping 100 octane fuel in petrol station...
If you feel 97 ron is OK, meaning your engine setup is mild.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The manual does not say what type of power steering fluid is used. Is it dexron III (same as ATF)?

And where is the fuel filter located. Its not stated in the manual as well and searching online didn't give me any easy answers. If its in the fuel tank like many newer cars, I'll give this diy job a miss.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience