Modification of the NA engine

Andres

Known Member
Jun 2, 2005
Penang
let me start a thread
to all Brothers and Sisters

what we should upgrade for our engine and become a more power. U all can give ur solution or opinion of how to make a car faster with low budget or more expert modification. It is better we suggest for the NA engine, this is because turbo engine is too power already.... :tee:

Let me start for the 1st stage modification of the NA engine

1. ) Changing the ekzos system. (It will be cost u about 300-800) depend on the brand we choose.

2.) chaging a power air filter

all bro pls give the opinion of it, to some of our member may be need some help so that they can view on this thread...

et5828

1,500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
touchin outside of the engine will never get the picture of increasin hp
internal parts mod are the most extreme significant improvement for ur engine

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Ask yourself first... do u plan to move on the forced induction in 1 to 2 years? If so, leave it stock and save money. If not, do some light mods.

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
Honestly turbo car's aern't really that hard 2 control once u get a hang of it... ands its really easy to get a fair sum of power without spending too much money.. where else playing with NA does has its advantages, but alot of money would be involve and the gain wouldn't be as much as turbo... BUT the satisfaction out of tuning up a NA is really cool.. depends on what you want...

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
Dino@Casper said:
Honestly turbo car's aern't really that hard 2 control once u get a hang of it... ands its really easy to get a fair sum of power without spending too much money.. where else playing with NA does has its advantages, but alot of money would be involve and the gain wouldn't be as much as turbo... BUT the satisfaction out of tuning up a NA is really cool.. depends on what you want...
if turbo engine not so hard to manage.. can mind tell us dino@casper bro, wat is the best way to start/play with turbo?
get turbo engine.. bolt-on turbo.. or... wat other best ways ? :smile:

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
nitrus said:
if turbo engine not so hard to manage.. can mind tell us dino@casper bro, wat is the best way to start/play with turbo?
get turbo engine.. bolt-on turbo.. or... wat other best ways ? :smile:
best way to start playing with turbo engine, since its made to be turbocharged from the start thus you save yourself potential headaches.

If you are after big horsepower, turbo is the only 'value for money' way to do it, and more drivable on the road. Why i say so? okay, lets look at 220hp 1.6liter engine, a turbocharged one that pumps 220hp is very normal and easy to drive on the road, while an NA version with 220hp will give you a hell lot of problem like stall engine during traffic jam, engine can't idle properly and not having any power at all at low rev, and to the extreme changing gear sometime might not be as smooth since with super light weight flywheel you'll not only be facing prob of stalling but also rev drop too fast if you shift too slow.

those who play with NA would know the pain of spending a few thousand for a couple of hoursepower and no matter how much you spend it is unlikely to double your car's horsepower while turbocharged engine owner would be able to get few times the power from teh stock just by giving it more boost.

oh ya, one thing before i forgot, the "g-force" you feel when acceleration depends more on the torque than the horsepower. you can mod and mod and mod an NA engine and see the horsepower rating goes up but in reality the mods just increase the torque by a little bit and shift the powerband upward the rev range and as a result give higher HP. HP is useful to run fast in a track but not really the whole case if you are talking about the street. 4age for example, stock one comes with about 15kg-m of torque, and the highest torque i've seen from a 4ag is about 19.6kg-m, thats about 30+% increase from the stock, and it won't make power under 6000rpm. According to some other forum i've participate in, they haven't seen a single NA engine in the world
make more than 89lb-ft of torque per litter

on the other hand turbocharged give alot more power with alot less money...

Kelis

Known Member
Jul 5, 2004
Penang
Hi, maybe u might wanna try out performance cams if u r planning to stick to your current engine, or u might wanna consider an engine transplant n go turbo instead. The choice is up to u... Just my 2 cents... :smile:

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
Here's a common way of upgrading an NA engine, although in a general way and not specific to any model and do not need to be strictly followed:

1. Good lubricant, less friction means more power.

2. Intake and exhaust, note that drop in filter is better for light mod since open pod/cone filter draws in hot air = less power, unless your car is for track racing where it move fast enough to ram cold air in your engine bay everytime or you can afford cold air intake system.

3. Adjustable cam pulley. can adjust for predictable power, but if you have variable cam timing, might as well leave it, better for everyday driving.

4. mild cams, extra power with stock ecu.

5. use lightened flywheel

6. go for aftermarket programable ecu, and throw in racing cam inside, as high as you can accept.

7. rebuild and balance the whole engine, do a 3 angle valve job or 5 angle one, port and polish the head.

8. do anything to increase your compresion ratio, but with malaysian's ron97 fuel i don't see too much increasement in power without suffering from knocking :D

thats about the general stuff you can do with your engine, other performance gain that do not have anything to do with the engine would be:
-use a good clutch system
-if you got the money and willing to learn, get a dog engagement gearbox
-use smaller size/lighter/balanced rim
-basically make your car have better power to weight ratio..

well, hope that helps...

Civic-R

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
Earth
Visit site
Fastest car F1 running on NA.Not turbo.Yes turbo easy to get hp by modifying a bit meanwhile for NA,tons of money haf to spend just to get a slight increase in hp.But maintenance for turbo is way to higher than maintaining a NA.

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
Civic-R said:
Fastest car F1 running on NA.Not turbo.Yes turbo easy to get hp by modifying a bit meanwhile for NA,tons of money haf to spend just to get a slight increase in hp.But maintenance for turbo is way to higher than maintaining a NA.
Now now.. the F1 car's design is very very different from our daily car.. its only meant to last for 2 races.. nothing more for the time being.. previously the engine's were replace every single race... So under such condition the tolerence of the shafts and bearings use in F1 are the lightest and yet would be most efficent... Where else in our daily car.. the engines are design to lets say let your car run even though u haven't service ur engine for more than half a year..

So you cannot take a race car to compare with a normal street car... Now for another big big misconception.. Maintaining a turbo isn't any much more expensive than ur normal NA.. let me take for instance.. if u are driving a same class of cars.. erm... maybe an EVO compare with a Fairlady.. both cars would need good braking systems.. therefore the price of the pads would be the same.. as for the usage of engine oils... during normal service a fairlady would need about 5l of engine oil where else the evo would only use 4.5l .. so you see other than the fact one is a turbo one is not.. there isn't really gonna be much difference in the maintaining the car..

And on the part about the cooling system on the engine, if u upgrade ur car.. even if its a turbo or na, when you tune ur engine u get better combustion.. and if you do love to high rev.. what kind of engine would also benefit from better cooling system... turbo non turbo also important..

Last edited:

Andres

Known Member
Jun 2, 2005
Penang
yalah, if really wan to increase HP in easy way is TURBO. BUt, the turbo car compare to our daily car the maintannace is more high? example like: fuel combustion , turbo kit spoiled, intercooler problem... etc. all also is only turbo car have... so??? pls advice

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My ride is wira 1300cc.:biggrin:
Currently using tyres 195/50/R15. Because wanna to get feel & looks like Rally car. Can I change to 195/55/R15 or 195/60/R15 ? Using this 2 kind of tyres will it effect the car drive heavily ? :hmmmm:

I also plan to change set of Adjustable absorber. GAP type with 36 point adjust soft hard & Titan no 36 point adjust soft hard. Both have their advantages. What to choose, is there anyone can give advise .......??:adore:

Thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience