Mod brake lights to blink/flash

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The problem is, he would not notice/realize if there's a person having a seizure because it's behind him. :)

Anyway, just this evening while going home and stuck in traffic jam in Tun Razak, a Civic went into my lane in front of me and guess what, it had blinking lights in the shark fin antenna! And it kept on bloody blinking all the time! It was small light but pretty bright some more and it flash directly into the head/face level! How annoying and disturbing, I just had to keep avoiding as much as I could by looking to the side. :mad: Luckily a few mins later the bugger change lane again so I can overtake him. I'd pity anyone who got stuck behind this bugger. I wish later on a cop will spot that and give him a ticket.
Bro., I can't even stand the ones fitted under the bumper. Is LED and bright, so when blink very irritating....:mad:

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Plus S&H, about RM105. Here's a link on how someone installed it:

DIY Blinking Third Brake Light
Yup, this one is okay. Third brake light blink is not that irritating as those LED ones, but this one stops after blinking for a short while...

You can fit this as 4th brake light, no need to mod 3rd brake light.....:driver:

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
Yup, this one is okay. Third brake light blink is not that irritating as those LED ones, but this one stops after blinking for a short while...

You can fit this as 4th brake light, no need to mod 3rd brake light.....:driver:
You know me, lah, from another forum. My car must be super neat and clean. I prefer without a 4th brake light.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
blinking lights are illegal according to JPJ...and have a little heart for people who suffer from epilepsy. bright blinking lights can cause a fit and even for normal ppl...its damn irritating when ur stuck behind a car in a jam with those high brightness blinking lights which they put at eye level...

please do a little work and make it only blink when the brake is pressed fully or at "emergency" levels of pressure instead of always on if the motive is to warn people of emergency braking in progress...

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
blinking lights are illegal according to JPJ...and have a little heart for people who suffer from epilepsy. bright blinking lights can cause a fit and even for normal ppl...its damn irritating when ur stuck behind a car in a jam with those high brightness blinking lights which they put at eye level...

please do a little work and make it only blink when the brake is pressed fully or at "emergency" levels of pressure instead of always on if the motive is to warn people of emergency braking in progress...
I did mention earlier in the thread the model I was getting that blinked only briefly.

Here's another video of the flashing brake light model I'm getting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RR7phuen5NQ

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You know me, lah, from another forum. My car must be super neat and clean. I prefer without a 4th brake light.
Yes, of course brother, That is why using same id is still better, so we can recognize each other, unless those who wants to hide....:biggrin:

Well, knowing you, you can still fit the 4th neatly.....:adore:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Cbsteh...wonder if the wiring can be modified to only blink at certain brake pressure...
Bro. arturo, no need mah! since it blinks a few times then will stop and if not more then 8 seconds does not blink again....

weu250

Known Member
Feb 12, 2004
Subang Jaya (USJ)
Visit site
Yes, I will let you all know the outcome, even after 2 years. I am curious myself.

Flashing causing seizure? Yes, that's possible, but that is like agreeing that using our turn signal may cause seizure.

I have decided not to go through the DIY route. I just ordered online a flashing brake light from the US. It should arrive in 1-2 weeks. It acts something like this video:

KAHTEC Third Brake "Blinking Smart Stop (Delay Version) - YouTube

Notice from the video that the flashing occurs for about 2 seconds, then turns solid. Pressing the brake again doesn't cause the flash unless it is 8 seconds or more after the last brake press.

The kit is very small (like a matchbox) and can be housed with the OEM third brake light.
I think that's okay... you go ahead and fix it first and see for yourself... If you think it is to glaring or whatever you can always pull it out. Else I think it works just fine...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
For me, I just mod my 3rd brake light into LED type using the stock housing so you can tell if it's any LED inside the housing. I use back the stock reflector as a mounting for the LEDs.

Last time I DIY a set of PCB with LED as the 3rd brake light. You an refer to my post in the DIY section. Now I've upgraded it. I swap out the LCB board and fitted a 3 CREE LED DRL into the 3rd brake light. Without the red clear housing it's very bright but after put up. The brightness is lesser but still bright. It looks neat and stock.

For the blinking, it can be done easily with DIY. You can buy a flash module and wired it to + side. The flash control module will enable you to control the flashing frequency. For it to stop blinking after a few time...Hmmm..this I need to RnD around 1st....Hahahahaha

Arturo, for the blinking at certain pressure. That one could be done but need to have to separate wiring. You will need to make the module output 2 different signals at the preset break pressure.

Just example:
Fit the brake pedal with a contact pin to a 2 section cooper strip. The 1st strip say cut to 4cm length, 2nd strip cut to 6cm length. The 1st cooper strip will come into contact with the pin 1st so when the pin move within this 4cm the brake light will light up with the stock wiring. Then if the driver emergency brake. The contact pin will moved more than 4cm into the 2nd cooper strip where the 2nd cooper strip is hooked up to a flashing module. This will make your brake light start lighting up from a constant light on the 1st cooper strip to a blinking one on the 2nd cooper strip.

It could be done, and I believe the wiring won't be so complicated maybe a bit more work only...

Last edited:

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
Nearly 2.5 weeks after I ordered online, my Kahtec Flashing Brake Light arrived. I ordered the Blinking Smart Stop, Delay Version.

Here's how it looks like after unpacking from box:

It comes with the flashing unit and three wire clips:

The unit is very light and small (smaller than a matchbox) but has rather long wires:

Now to install. My car is Nissan Grand Livina. This is the third brake light cover (standard):

Carefully, remove the cover:

It's unnecessary to remove the bulb but since I didn't have anyone immediately available to help me step on the brakes, I remove the bulb so I can see it flash when I am in front to step on the brakes. Find the bulb wires (blue + black):

Remove the wire tape to expose more the bulb wires, and make the connections, following the Kahtec wiring diagram, like so:

Connections were easy. Took me a minute or two only. Once done, tidy up the wires and tuck in the Kahtec box somewhere within the third brake light cover, like so:

Carefully place back the third brake light cover. Done! The whole operation took me about 30 minutes. I had slight trouble putting the cover back. I had to work slow because I didn't want break the cover hinges or something.

I am not putting up the video to demo the flashing brake light because it looks exactly the same as the other videos links I put up. Please refer to them if you are curious.

The third brake light flashes about 6 times in 2 seconds when the brakes are applied, then the light turns solid. If you press the brakes again within 8 seconds, the brake light does not flash (remains soild). But if you press the brake light 8 seconds or more after the last brake press, this would cause the brake light to flash again.

For people who want to DIY, there are a few electronic circuit diagrams on the net. Some are rather noisy because they use relays (can hear click-click whenever you step on the brakes), but I think Kahtec unit is nice and small, so I can put the unit inside the third brake light housing.

:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe width="335" height="250" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PoVF4FexEI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch this heart-warming and innovative advertisement featuring the COLLISION PREVENT ASSIST. The 2012 Mercedes-Benz B Class comes standard with this safety features. A great video to show how a happy ending was achieved with one. Great standard equipment indeed.

Source : http://www.youtube.com
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience