Mod brake lights to blink/flash

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I suggest just brighten your third brake lights or add additional third brake light, so the rear car can see better, not blinking lights...

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
I am with cbsteh and papagoines.... I think it works....

I mean as long it is not the strobe lighting kind, which definitely can be annoying... I don't even mind the blinking/flashing type which is installed lower on the bumper. I have got rear ended a couple of times in traffic (not even a fast emergency stop). Maybe this little change would help...
I know how you feel. I have been rear ended many times, at least once a year. I have found a electronics diagram on flashing brake lights on the net. It allows us to adjust the number and duration of pulse as well. I might just DIY instead of buying a finished product or asking someone to do it for me.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Aiyah! all the accessories fitted here where got go thru' J**.....:mad:
they dont need to go through JPJ... they only go through JPJ to make them legal.

so if u install something illegal then u kena la if they catch u

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
blinking f1 relay is for LED bulb only.. not filamen bulbs..

but for me.. yes.. blinking rear light really fast catch our attention than normal rear brake light.. but like danz says.. blinking for a few seconds then stop..

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
To me, if I find cars with such non-stop blinking lights on their brake lights whenever they hit the brakes, is kinda annoying and distracting other road users. If it is like the 4th additional brake lights that many installed, which actually blinks up to 3 times then it remains as it is. That is okay.

If you are gonna install something that keeps blinking non-stop whenever your foot is on the brakes, is just not practical and is making people behind you have a difficult time in driving especially at night. How painful can your eyes be when a light keeps flashing in front of you brightly.

Is good, and it helps but install a proper one where it only blinks up to 3 times then it stops as just lighted up. That way, you feel
more secure and you are more considerate with other road users as well. A win-win situation.

A good idea, but get it done properly. If not, you are gonna make our eyes go blinking as well :stoned:

Anyway, before you go on with your idea, you may want to read some of the JPJ Rules for our cars before you consider
doing what you planned to do. Might save you a few summons.

JPJ/RTD GUIDELINES FOR PRIVATE CAR MODIFICATIONS

Let me copy out one of the section that related to your topic.

INSTALLATION OF ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED

1. Blinking lights (other than signal lights and hazard lights) at the front or rear of the car.
2. Installation of light blue, purple or green.
3. Installation of a mix of horn or with a two-tone horn.
4. Installation of spot lights at the rear of the car.
5. Installation of tinted glass or colored material on the front windscreen, rear windscreen and side windows which permit the light is less than 70%.

Note: However, the use of tinted glass or colored material at the top of the front windscreen of 20% of its width and the window glass is allowed in the quarter may be amended from time to time

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
To me, if I find cars with such non-stop blinking lights on their brake lights whenever they hit the brakes, is kinda annoying and distracting other road users. If it is like the 4th additional brake lights that many installed, which actually blinks up to 3 times then it remains as it is. That is okay.

If you are gonna install something that keeps blinking non-stop whenever your foot is on the brakes, is just not practical and is making people behind you have a difficult time in driving especially at night. How painful can your eyes be when a light keeps flashing in front of you brightly.

Is good, and it helps but install a proper one where it only blinks up to 3 times then it stops as just lighted up. That way, you feel
more secure and you are more considerate with other road users as well. A win-win situation.

A good idea, but get it done properly. If not, you are gonna make our eyes go blinking as well :stoned:

Anyway, before you go on with your idea, you may want to read some of the JPJ Rules for our cars before you consider
doing what you planned to do. Might save you a few summons.

JPJ/RTD GUIDELINES FOR PRIVATE CAR MODIFICATIONS

Let me copy out one of the section that related to your topic.
Thanks for the JPJ guidelines.

But it is still gonna happen. I am fed up of having my car rear hit once or twice a year since 2004 (no exaggeration). However, I am mindful about non-stop blinking lights. Those DIY electronic circuits and commercial blinkers all do not blink non-stop. They blink only for a while (like for 2 seconds then the third brake light turns solid).

Some products will only blink if you step on the brakes 8 seconds or more after the last blink (good for traffic jams where you have to press the brake lights many times, so the brake lights won't keep blinking each time you press on the brakes).

P.S.
I've been hit in the rear in the following situations (all in slow speeds):
- stopping at traffic lights (normal, gradual stop)
- going downhill on a slow but moving traffic
- going slow over a partially flooded road
- traffic jam (either moving slowly or I am in complete stop)
- stopping at T-junctions (again, normal and gradual stop)

Before anyone asks, no, my brake lights were working in all those situations.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
cbsteh, I think is wise you try to go to the temple and pray and ask god if you are chinese. Or maybe go to some reputable fortune teller to see what has gone wrong. It could be something happened or accidentally trip on something bad.

Could be bad luck. From the way u say it. Normal gradually stop also can get rear ended. So is must be something wrong.
Or like Izso said, change number plate or car.

Sometimes things that we don't believe, is just there for us not to believe.

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
cbsteh...since u always kena rear ended...your number plate giving u bad luck.
happened to my sis' previous car....finally sold it.....
cbsteh, I think is wise you try to go to the temple and pray and ask god if you are chinese. Or maybe go to some reputable fortune teller to see what has gone wrong. It could be something happened or accidentally trip on something bad.

Could be bad luck. From the way u say it. Normal gradually stop also can get rear ended. So is must be something wrong.
Or like Izso said, change number plate or car.

Sometimes things that we don't believe, is just there for us not to believe.
Nope, don't believe it any of those things. Besides, these accidents occur over two cars, old and new.

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
it seems that you insist to install those blinking light anyway. then just proceed to any accessories shop and get it done. yes you will feel safer with those blinking lights, but not us that following you. it just hurt our eyes. TQ

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
actually what car do you drive, u 3rd brake light is on top @ bottom of glass @ maybe u'r brake is too good @ wiring not good already for your car that it grip first lights later:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nissan has finally launched the V36 Skyline Coupe 370GT to the Japanese market with 333ps under the hood, making it the most powerful V6 in its class.<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

The V36 Skyline Coupe is powered by VQ37VHR ,also includes Nissan’s new...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience