Mivec RS

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
I am confused with this spec frm mivec. Has no clock and aircond as the dash comes with std analogue aircond. Based from what i read its rally spec. How much is this engine in halfcut. What are the problems that we face having this engine transplanted.
:wavey:

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
RS means rally spec bro, not second get bro... i mean a 4g92 mivec RS which satria's and wira's can use. Not terbalik version

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
If it's not post-98 model, then it should have no problems fitting into your 1st gen satria. Apparently RS models have got a slightly different cam specs and shift point is also higher..

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
Enslaved bro care to explain more in detail?
How bout spare parts? i dun a 4g92 single cam. Very noob to mivec's.
The gearbox's have a better final gear ratio right. All meant for acceleration?
It also comes with a 10K rpm meter, but the ECU is different code that 4828 right

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
When you go look at the half cut, make sure the cam pulley cover is on the RIGHT side (imagine you are standing infront of the car and looking at the engine), then you are fine. It should fit without problem in your Satria.

Honestly, i don;t know if you can tell whether the engine is RS or not by looking at it..maybe someone else on this forum can help. Mivec gearboxes all have a shorter final drive - for acceleration as 1.6 needs to rev high to reach its optimum powerband. You might get a bonus LSD gear box if lucky!

Go to www.mivec.nz.co - the best forum for mivecs!

darkwizard

Jul 10, 2006
Kaching...
Mivec RS is a bit special (Lightweighted version of normal Mivec).
There are 2 versions of Mivec RS
One with no aircond controller, no aircond compressor and no power steering - Rally spec
One with analog/mechanical Aircond controller - with aircond compressor and power steering - Normal road leagal RS spec. - Comes with Mivec-RS timing controller (normally taken out by half cut shop to sell seperately)

How much it cost = depends on Half cut shop. Lately Mivec Halfcut price has gone up to near GSR price range.

The possible problems that buying this kind of engine =
1. It has no history records of oil change (probably lots of stuff worn out)
2. It has been heavily abusive driven (racing used) in its previous life (more wear and tear which not known/detected in early stage of transplant it in to your car)
3. Some parts might have been change to aftermarket parts already by its previous sports owner (especially rally spec RS model) thus not easy to find replacement parts after it spoilt
4. The Gearbox might have some problem (worn out gear selector / syncroniser inside the gearbox might worn out). The next problem might be the Idler gear (the small gears that control reverse) might worn out due to abusive and wrongly perform reverse J turn. The last problem would be possible worn out LSD.
5. etc etc...

Hope that helps...thats is from my 2 cents knowledge when i do research on this type of engine last time. In the end i go for Mivec-MD engine power car due to cost and budget constrain. Anyway, here is my MIVEC-MD + the controller from the MIVEC RS pic (Its plug and tune and play).
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2248/2105335999_eb90b6ab4b_o.jpg

P.S.: The best options is if you can find a good unit and trusted mechanic friends done checking it, it is a very rev happy and good NA engine to play with.

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Nice pic bro darkwizard... you mean that mivec controller is oem item to control mivec open/close?

I'm using mivec rs, engine itself very long lasting and tahan, sometime forgot to change oil and rev rev also no problem : ). I'm not sure whether this true or not but i believe rs has closer fd ratio than normal one cos tested both... This gb is superb while accelerating but sux while crusing... 3krpm = >90km/h...

Fuel efficiency is good as long as ignition and fueling part is well taken care, average 1L=11km/h unless you always pranggggggg, once a while wont drink too much petrol...

Please be extra careful while getting a half cut, make sure the mech is good and honesty cos i was conned by a SOB merchant :.. ( now need to fork out money to fix the synchronizer...

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
The high rpm while cruising is due to the lower 5th gearing to help acceleration. These are race cars, not cruise mobiles.. ;)

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
With the close ratio gb, is fun for u to have a quick acceleration in the shortest distance. :biggrin:

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Gearing helps a lot..seems even the campro 1.3 gearbox has shorter ratios, hence more suited for acceleration. And if you use this gearbox in the 1.6, it will help overcome the weak torque... :)

I've sat in a friend's civic with b16a and modified close ratio 3rd, 4th, 5th gears...you can;t believe the acceleration..rpm needle just goes round the dial!

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Ya Ya, it's so cool while accelerating as all mentioned earlier... but you are not always on battle mod right?? : ) Imagined you are fetching family member, or just wanna enjoy music, or just wanna drive slow but the engine sound is so loud and fuel consumption also... sigh!!!

Conclusion!! must have 2 cars... one for own and one for family... : )

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
The high rpm while cruising is due to the lower 5th gearing to help acceleration. These are race cars, not cruise mobiles.. ;)
Yeah true looks like. But a non race car cruising is important tho

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Yeah thats true this means a normal mivec is better off right?

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
I thought you actually prefer BMW... : )

OK back to topic, normal mivec fd and rs's fd only slight difference, if you wan cruising then change 93 fd... Alternative is becoming a good citizen like me only cruising at 70-80km/h then your fc will be really nice... If you can't stand then rev for distance... then back to 80 again...:listen:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

HI there all

jz ask u technical questions about the wira se car..im using stock 4g15 manual engine bought my car 4 months old..still brand new....

i wanted to mod to 4G's T engine dun care VR4, GSR or EVO1,2,3.....my questions is if i jz transplant the engine+ecu+wiring(or even +GB) ...do i need to change the radiator+aircond radiator to its own original respective engine?...or can i jz used stock wira radiator&aircond radiator?....

what about the power stereng pump?...aircond...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience