Mivec Blacktop vs Silvertop

jahreshay

Mar 28, 2006
Hi frens,

I am planning to convert my Wira 1.5 engine to Mivec engine.
I came across 2 types of mivec engine Blacktop and Silvertop.
Blacktop is relatively expensive compare to Silvertop....
What is the major defferent between both? both are 1.6 rite?
Which one should i go for. Hope you ppl can share your expertise on this.

Reshay:confused_smile:

apai_Ngage

Known Member
Dec 15, 2004
A lot of people saying that there are a lot kind of Mivec engine. Blacktop, Silvertop, Bluetop, MD etc.... What I can say is the engine is just similar. The difference that I manage to find out is the ECU and the "wtf" engine wire ( <--- dunno this thing, sorry). Blacktop has 2 wire while others has 4. Currently I'm using a Blacktop Mivec. (Am I mistaken?) But for consideration, go for MD. Better fuel mileage during traffic jam. This is just my 2cent though. To all sifu, correct me if I am wrong. Don`t shoot. Hehehehehehe............

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2005
Cheras , Sel
Since i came across this thread , mivec RS and mivec ? 1.8 and 1.6 izzit ?

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
all normal mivec is come from 2 wire ; only MD version come from 4 wires.
for the sliver top, ecu is 4828 and the cut off is stand at 7.8k rpm. while black top ecu is 7035, cut off is at 8.2k.
Base on the spec, all mivec can produce 175ps.

speeding_mama

May 6, 2005
Klang
If I'm not mistaken, all Mivecs are 1.6. As far as I know, there are RS and MD. RS stands for "Rally Spec" and MD stands for "Modulated Displacement". Heard from ppl sayin that RS is more powerful (higher fuel consumption), and then MD saves more fuel, but not as powerful as RS lo. They said MD runs on 2 cylinders during idling, is that true? I oso dunno leh... Correct me if I'm wrong. :p

Reactions: darkstar

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
yes, MD will run 2 cylinder below 3000 rpm.
and RS cut off is at 9200rpm due to this engine have been done engine balancing from factory.

spyderslr

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2004
black or silver, its exactly the same....same power, same 8.2k rpm cut off.....ecu code oni different....n some u can even find a LSD Gearbox.....those tat has higher cut-off or engine balanced r most probably being modded by the previous owner in japan....cheerzzz...

IMHO, dun go for MD......yes it runs on 2 cylinder below 3k rpm, but if u want to get a mivec n run below 3k rpm all the time to save fuel, better get something
else instead (eg. 4G92 DOHC Non-MIVEC, 4G91 etc.) ....... MD doesnt save tat much of fuel as compared to a frugally driven Mivec btw.....

not all mivecs are 1.6 .... Variable lift version has got 1.6 (4G92) n 2.0 (6A12 as found in FTO) .... the current variable valve timing version can b found in 1.3, 1.5, 2.4 n the 4G63T Evo 9...... actually there's even 3.5L n 3.8L in certain countries but i'm not sure whether its Variable Lift or Variable Valve Timing.....

Mrnazmi

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2005
Drag City
Visit site
as i know...

mivec blacktop - mivec RS
mivec silvertop - standard mivec
mivec MD - not so sure but i can save a lot of your gas compare with both mivec above...

correct me if i'm wrong....

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
No difference between black or silver. Only difference is between MD and non-MD.

RS versions have a lighter car body,higher rev limit adn higher mivec switchover point (6300 if not mistaken).

alien

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
u all have different answers...
so which is which?

no difference?
or
according to apai,
blacktop has 2 wiring and the rest has 4.
but boyzone only MD has 4 and the rest has 2.
he also said the cut off for the silver top is at 7.8k and blacktop 8.2k
which later sypderslr says
all the cut off is the same..

and then enslaved said there's oni MD and non MD..then suddenly says RS has a higher rev limit which spyder says it's only becoz it's tuned by previous owner..

so which is true????

simplythebest

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Selangor
Must also get the Mivec, with the nice engine cover. :rock: ,

One of the reason why to purchase Mivec. :tongue:

Last edited:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
simplythebest said:
Must also get the Mivec, with the nice engine cover. :rock: ,

One of the reason why to purcharse Mivec. :tongue:
haha... u change to mivec jz because u like the engine cover???...:regular_smile:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear zth ppl,

I like to ask those who is already using this type of wheel spacers. I am interested to get the 25mm ones. So you guys who are using it for front and rear wheels, I want to ask doest them wobbles during highspeeds and braking ?

Thanks alot.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience