Mitsubishi 4G91 engine, F4A212 A/T Diagnostic

Jason7333

Jul 21, 2017
Miri
Hi and good day to all forumer,

Just a fast question about weeks ago my car was run into Limp Home Mode or safe mode which the ECU was limited and lock the gear box at 3rd gear with limited speed.

Been attempt to few workshop and so far there is no news yet. While waiting for the problem been fixed I was Google around website to find some info about how to retrieve the Error Code from the ECU or TCU unit.

And I found and read through some of article from this forum for little bit info about my car and wonder if anyone here know the pin out of self diagnosis for the A/T TCU unit to find the error code which cause into Limp Home Mode.

Below was info for car.

Brand & Model: Proton Satria full convert to Mirage 3 door engine and gearbox.
Engine model: Mitsubishi 4G91
Gearbox: Mitsubishi F4A212
Gearbox TCU code: MD753582

Any input or info from all was much appreciated.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Hi and good day to all forumer,

Just a fast question about weeks ago my car was run into Limp Home Mode or safe mode which the ECU was limited and lock the gear box at 3rd gear with limited speed.

Been attempt to few workshop and so far there is no news yet. While waiting for the problem been fixed I was Google around website to find some info about how to retrieve the Error Code from the ECU or TCU unit.

And I found and read through some of article from this forum for little bit info about my car and wonder if anyone here know the pin out of self diagnosis for the A/T TCU unit to find the error code which cause into Limp Home Mode.

Below was info for car.

Brand & Model: Proton Satria full convert to Mirage 3 door engine and gearbox.
Engine model: Mitsubishi 4G91
Gearbox: Mitsubishi F4A212
Gearbox TCU code: MD753582

Any input or info from all was much appreciated.
u can actually check the TCU error codes using OBD checking tool. most workshop have it. for methods to check the TCU error codes yourself, you can refer to the links below:

TCU Codes:
http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tcucodes.htm

TCU Pinout:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1g-tcu-guide.277172/

hope this helps. :driver:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
its depends if the wiring is done correctly rite?
if not then could not read the code oso as its a transplanted engine.
ya. but should be correct wiring la coz if you transplant half cut engine you will buy together with the correct wiring harness. the cut and join wiring part is usually for the tail lamp, reverse lamp etc coz that one extended to the back.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ya. but should be correct wiring la coz if you transplant half cut engine you will buy together with the correct wiring harness. the cut and join wiring part is usually for the tail lamp, reverse lamp etc coz that one extended to the back.
Yup, if half cut transplant comes with wire harness, unless he transplant engine kosong. The joint of wiring is to the rear part of the car, including fuel tank and pump...:driver:

Jason7333

Jul 21, 2017
Miri
Thanks for the info Sanskrit, gunnerzz and vr2turbo, ya I have bounce on few workshop and finally found a workshop know how to read the ODB, but unfortunately, he claim that he could access ECU unit but not TCU unit. Have try replacing the TCU unit still the same. So I leave the car there few more day for further check.

Before that I have been to one of workshop to remove the TCU unit by mechanic and check it my self if there is any burn in cap. All in good situation and I clean up with contact cleaner and ask them install back the TCU unit. Then it strait away run into Limp mode. I was doubt is it possible that they plug in wrong wiring hardness for the TCU unit?

I was thinking to take back the car and check my self and thanks again gunnerzz for the wiring pin out & ODB code reference. Really appreciate.

Jason7333

Jul 21, 2017
Miri
Yup, if half cut transplant comes with wire harness, unless he transplant engine kosong. The joint of wiring is to the rear part of the car, including fuel tank and pump...:driver:
Yes, last time I transplant from the half cut with everything complete.. only the back part wiring like break, signal, fuel pump was been cut and done up here nicely and I use it for almost 12 year without much big issue beside the gearbox was just done overhaul a year plus ago. It is a nice engine intern of FC as I use it daily on work.

And the stepper motor (idle speed sensor) was faulty long time ready and haven manage to get replace as all parts seller here say don't have. And I think the TPS sensor might gone wrong now cause before the car gone into Limp mode.. it was random happened case like no final gear shift or shift between 4 or Final gear randomly. Then it come to case like stuck in 2nd gear or 1st gear and need rev over 3500 rpm to switch up gear. Or sometime it won't engage to 1st gear while in D at traffic light. It was random problem occurs from time to time..Sometime it don't have any issue at all and smooth for a month.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Since gb have been overhauled before, gb can be acting up again. Gears not changing can be solenoid problem...

Jason7333

Jul 21, 2017
Miri
Since gb have been overhauled before, gb can be acting up again. Gears not changing can be solenoid problem...
Yeah, i read through google for a weeks and the info about gear switching issue from gearbox side might be solenoid or oil temp switch. and for engine side might be TPS sensor which would effect the gearbox switching issue.

Thanks a lot for ur info vr2turbo, i might go back to workshop next weeks check if they have found the issue, else i might try to DIY my self for the diagnostic.

Have a good weekend all forumer =)

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Yeah, i read through google for a weeks and the info about gear switching issue from gearbox side might be solenoid or oil temp switch. and for engine side might be TPS sensor which would effect the gearbox switching issue.

Thanks a lot for ur info vr2turbo, i might go back to workshop next weeks check if they have found the issue, else i might try to DIY my self for the diagnostic.

Have a good weekend all forumer =)
Yup. wrong TPS setting can kacau with the gear shifting as well. and there's also 2 pulse generator u need to check just in case.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yup. wrong TPS setting can kacau with the gear shifting as well. and there's also 2 pulse generator u need to check just in case.
Since the gb went into safe mode then there must be error code in the tcu.too bad so far no shop can read his ecu.

I experienced safe mode before on a renault gb.turns out it just need a clean on the connector and tune up.dunno why...most probably because i left the car hibernating while removing the battery.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Since the gb went into safe mode then there must be error code in the tcu.too bad so far no shop can read his ecu.

I experienced safe mode before on a renault gb.turns out it just need a clean on the connector and tune up.dunno why...most probably because i left the car hibernating while removing the battery.
i dont know where TS is staying. the workshop i always went to at jalan bukit kemuning, shah alam there can check the error codes and help him fix the problem.

i recently converted my car from F4A22 gb to W4A33 gb there. i had a few problems with it since it's a halfcut gb. so far they did the swap and all the troubleshooting and repairs. i still got a few minor problems left to fix to get the gb run smooth though. :burnout:

Jason7333

Jul 21, 2017
Miri

Yes now I was planned as try to solve the problem that goes into Limp mode by reading the code from TCU or check if the previous mechanic have proper plug the wiring hardness back in right port or direction. Hopping the workshop could find out the issue soon...

Then I would solve the faulty electronic parts that cause it.

And then I would go for TPS adjustment and replace the new Idle speed Motor.

Another question I would ask is let say I wanna replace this gearbox , what model gearbox was suitable for this engine and more reliable than this model gb.As I was search around here there is no recon unit available for this. So replacing to others model gearbox was my last resort.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Yes now I was planned as try to solve the problem that goes into Limp mode by reading the code from TCU or check if the previous mechanic have proper plug the wiring hardness back in right port or direction. Hopping the workshop could find out the issue soon...

Then I would solve the faulty electronic parts that cause it.

And then I would go for TPS adjustment and replace the new Idle speed Motor.

Another question I would ask is let say I wanna replace this gearbox , what model gearbox was suitable for this engine and more reliable than this model gb.As I was search around here there is no recon unit available for this. So replacing to others model gearbox was my last resort.
The F4A212 ratio is a good match for your 4G91. But you can get F4A222 if you want to replace it. :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all, in this post I will show you what is the culprit when side mirror cannot auto-flip.

First we need to remove the mirror by pry from below. Do it carefully

Then remove 4 screw that hold side mirror cover.

Here what it will look like...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience