Migrate from NT4 to Server 2003

miqveh

Dec 12, 2003
Good question devil,

second question....what type of server is it? Does it have any services running? E.g. DHCP/WINS, etc? Or is it just an application server? if it is a database server, oops. That's one of the trickiest to convert. I know one company A that charges another company (B) about $50,000 to upgrade a SQL server to SQL 2000.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
my NT4 server still alive.
But if I clone the NT4 HDD into the new Server HDD and start it up, it dies because of the SCSI.

I have 2 server now lah, one old server still running, one new server trying to upgrade from old.

Regards

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
miqveh,

this is a application server which runs a pervasive SQL, Exact Accounting Software, UBS Payroll and also WinSteel programs.

It is the only server in the company that runs everything inside.

Regards

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by jedi@Dec 31 2003, 04:46 PM
my NT4 server still alive.
But if I clone the NT4 HDD into the new Server HDD and start it up, it dies because of the SCSI.

I have 2 server now lah, one old server still running, one new server trying to upgrade from old.

Regards
if u clone using same hardware spec, u should not hv that problem, if after u clone, u encounter the problem described, chances of your server is not having the same harware competability.

U can try to clone to the new server, boot in safe mode hoping can reinstall the SCSI driver and boot the server up again. Or boot from CD and repair the SCSI driver from there.

Alternatively, I would say is always easier and faster to build a new server and migrate all DB over and reset whole permission.

Judging from your descrision, I do not think your organization is having a large user db, rite? afterall, all accessing can based on group access so your time to reconfigure should be minimize( but also required at least 3/4 day)

So, I guess you will have a great new year eve as well as 1.1 to migrate whole thing over hhuh ! <_<

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
yeap, it's true. my organization only 25 users.

and YES!! the old server is a ciplak clone Pentium II 350Mhz, but the new one is a IBM x.235 2.8Ghz Xeon server.
Hardware all 100% different.

I called my technical support, they say NT4 is hardware dependent OS, so quite difficult to do migration. But Server2003 is hardware independent, so can upgrade anytime anyday.

Best regards

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Jedi,

take my advise, forget about the old setup, build a total new domain, just copy files across and setup whole thing.
U can hv the network ready in 12 hours ....

Cheer!

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
thank you.

But the problem is, I don't have the installer of some application in the old server!! and these application is a MUST application.

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Jedi,

the only way is clone to the new server, boot from safe mood or from CD to replace all the hardware driver and later upgrade to win2000 then 2003.
However, u might want to evaluate the software compliancy between NT4 & 2003. Noted not all NT4 software functioning in 2003.

moreover, through my experience, upgrade from NT4 to 2000 will cause a lot of unexplainable system problem so expect the same when its go to win 2003.

the best thing is to dig back the Cd installation cd then just migrate over.
good luck!

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
thanks!

I will try to look for those application installer

Bert

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Muddy Delta
Visit site
If you dont have the CD tell ur bos there is no way you can move it over.

Also, it would be simpler to move all the files over to the new domain and reinstall everything. Makes life easier.

For the SQL and the accounting software, you shouldnt have issues moving stuff over. Do it in stages since you have both machines available. Set up each s/w and configure it and get ppl to run off the new one first. Do it for all SW and after a while, shut of the old server for a week and if there are no problems, you have a new machien to work off on.

hehehe

Migration is always a big headache. thats y the charges are the highest for migfration.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
yeah, the charges are far far higher than buying the whole machine!

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
How much u was quoted loh?

Bert, Wanna team up and get some additional money for ICE upgrade?
Or too small for u? hehe!

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
I bought the server around RM15k, migration cost RM150/hr

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
150 per hour is consider very reasonable price lah!
O personally will charge more then that loh! :D

^^ED^^

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
My suggest is fresh install & configure.

What u need just the user profile from NT + some DC policy control. Other than that Ur IP, DHCP pool all this u can create urself.

Cause NT4 & 2003 OS is a lot different even its develop from NT base. So is not advise to do migrate, I believe microsoft have some article for migrate but anyone in IT can tell me which server (microsoft os only) after migrate was free from problem ? :lol: to me I don think so :lol: :lol: :lol:

If ur server did not hang, you should happy enough loh ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There are a few things to do to when trying to diagnose a misfire. All vehicles are different, but there are a few places to start.
1)If possible use an OBDII scanner on newer vehicles. The misfire counter function can help you determine which cylinder is behaving badly. Clearly this is not an option for all people and vehicles though.

Note)Even without engine scanners you can identify which cylinder is causing a dead misfire. Carefully disconnect one spark plug at a time. If the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience