Merc's latest 2018 A-Class arrives Malaysia! A250 & A200 + MBUX

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Merc's latest 2018 A-Class arrives Malaysia! A250 & A200 + MBUX

Boom! the A Class has arrived - Just debuted in Malaysia, the all-new, gadget centric compact Merc will be available in 2 flavours, the A200 and A250, which are priced from RM227,888 and RM263,888 respectively. W177 will be the new chassis code of this new A Class

A250 - Currently top of the range here, the 2L turbo 4 cylinder makes 224hp / 350nm and passes through a 7 speed dual clutch box. Zerotohundred : 6.2 seconds

Features:

• AMG Line exterior
  • 18" AMG wheels
  • AMG Line interior
  • Aluminum interior accents
  • Multifunction steering wrapped in Nappa leather
  • Sports seats trimmed in Artico leather + Dinamica microfibre

A200 - The entry level A is powered by a 163hp / 250nm 1.3L Turbo 4 cylinder and is mated to a 7-speed DCT box as well. Zerotohundred : 8 seconds

Features:

• Progressive Line exterior
  • 18' wheels
  • Black open-pore lime wood interior accents
  • Leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel
  • Luxury seats trimmed in Artico leather

Both A class models will get the latest twin 10.25" digital instrument cluster and entertainment displays as well as:

• 10.25" twin displays
  • MBUX
  • Linguatronic
  • Built-in Nav
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Android Auto
  • Keyless entry
  • Push-start button ignition
  • Illuminated Mercedes-Benz scuff plates
  • Ambient lighting
  • Thermatic auto air-con
  • Electric front seats with memory
  • Active Brake Assist
  • Active Parking Assist
  • Automatic High-Beam Control

Five body colours:

• Polar White
  • Cosmos Black
  • Jupiter Red
  • Iridium Silver
  • Mountain Grey
Continue reading the Post.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I like the direction Benz is going, except the price. A250 is the one to buy. A200 is a lot of money for very little car and a badge.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm the rear now looks more like an Audi! The front headlights seem a bit too small with too big grill in the middle. Not a fan of the big screen dashboard display too. Based on the photos I have seen so far, I actually like the older model better, not sure if later I see it in the flesh. Side profile looks nicer though than the older one coz smoother transition from the hood to the windscreen and roof.

Where's the real AMG version btw? Should've released the A35 right?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I like the direction Benz is going, except the price. A250 is the one to buy. A200 is a lot of money for very little car and a badge.
Gotta say the cockpit is a nice place to be in on either models but I agree the A200 does seem a little bare in person, on first impressions. lets see how it pans out ixeo

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm the rear now looks more like an Audi! The front headlights seem a bit too small with too big grill in the middle. Not a fan of the big screen dashboard display too. Based on the photos I have seen so far, I actually like the older model better, not sure if later I see it in the flesh. Side profile looks nicer though than the older one coz smoother transition from the hood to the windscreen and roof. Where's the real AMG version btw? Should've released the A35 right?
It's very subjective, I on the other hand quite like the new approach. It's been a long time since we've seen a potential trailblazer like this one

The A35 literally just came out of the oven, I doubt it'll arrive here this year. If anything I think it'll be first quarter next year onwards

nw111

Known Member
Feb 13, 2018
Terra dei Motori
I'm curious if the rear legroom is bigger than the previous one.... kinda like the design actually.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
It's very subjective, I on the other hand quite like the new approach. It's been a long time since we've seen a potential trailblazer like this one

The A35 literally just came out of the oven, I doubt it'll arrive here this year. If anything I think it'll be first quarter next year onwards
I think the A35 is priced competitively in other markets. But in Malaysia it wouldn’t be the case.

At the current pricing I feel the obsolete BMW F30 330e is more car than this A200, assuming you value driving experience moreso than creature comforts. If anything it’s a super value buy due (relative to this) to the fact that it’s a sunset model, yet the PHEV drivetrain is far more advanced than the A200 drivetrain. And the B48 engine in there has 4 cylinders.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think the A35 is priced competitively in other markets. But in Malaysia it wouldn’t be the case.
Well it might relative to other similar cars here because the A45 was priced competitively compared to its real rivals (M2, RS3, CTR).

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Well it might relative to other similar cars here because the A45 was priced competitively compared to its real rivals (M2, RS3, CTR).
I think Mercedes pricing in Malaysia, relative to its peers is still higher.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I'm curious if the rear legroom is bigger than the previous one.... kinda like the design actually.
I tried the rear seats for a brief moment, felt decent at that moment. will wait for the next opportunity with the car to find out more

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I think the A35 is priced competitively in other markets. But in Malaysia it wouldn’t be the case. At the current pricing I feel the obsolete BMW F30 330e is more car than this A200, assuming you value driving experience moreso than creature comforts. If anything it’s a super value buy due (relative to this) to the fact that it’s a sunset model, yet the PHEV drivetrain is far more advanced than the A200 drivetrain. And the B48 engine in there has 4 cylinders.
Like @6UE5t said, I think I did read somewhere that "Malaysian" A45s were priced especially lower than most markets, for marketing purposes or something like that. So we don't know if the A35 would follow this same trend yet.

330e would definitely drive miles better than the new A200 when compared this way, but I can't say if the 330e's automatic is more advanced than that of the A class' DCT. If you consider the 330e's layout being a longitudinal one, with the longshaft, rear axle, hybrid motor sandwiched in between then I suppose you are right, it is a quite a bit more elaborate than the A200's transverse, full petrol car. A200 is a 4 cylinder as well but a 1.3L turbo.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Like @6UE5t said, I think I did read somewhere that "Malaysian" A45s were priced especially lower than most markets, for marketing purposes or something like that. So we don't know if the A35 would follow this same trend yet.

330e would definitely drive miles better than the new A200 when compared this way, but I can't say if the 330e's automatic is more advanced than that of the A class' DCT. If you consider the 330e's layout being a longitudinal one, with the longshaft, rear axle, hybrid motor sandwiched in between then I suppose you are right, it is a quite a bit more elaborate than the A200's transverse, full petrol car. A200 is a 4 cylinder as well but a 1.3L turbo.
I guess only in Malaysia we compare cars with price points, cause a compact hatch and a compact sports sedan are very different cars.

No experience with Mercedes’s DCT. Is it the same one used in BMW FWD cars?

BMW’s ZF 8 speed is the best conventional automatic in the business for RWD. I believe it still is. Fast and smooth. It’s both comfort and performance in a single package.

I assume when you say more advanced than the BMW’s 8 speed, I suppose it’s from a performance standpoint? From experience a dual clutch wouldn’t be as smooth as a torque converter. But my only experience are the VW 6 speed wet and 7 speed dry.