Mazda 2 : what is the suitable engine oil

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yup, the lower the lighter. Anyway w is for winter, which we don't have, so for us is cold start....:burnout:
If you have a look at the data sheets vs our malaysian weather, all we truly need is 10w only. Anything less is just overkill.

dude, i think it's totally different.
30 and 40 is the viscosity when the engine heats up. If the engine should use 5w30 but we used 5w40 then the engine oil might be too "thick" to reach every part in the engine, and the engine will be very "heavy" too....
Dude, I know. I'm referring to the operating temps vs viscosity vs engine tolerances. Whether you use w40 or w30 in a standard engine it won't be significant enough to feel. I know how engine oil works, and there's no such thing as engine oil being too thick to reach the engine components. Even if you use 20W50 the oil will reach all parts of your engine. Just a matter of how viscous it is and how much effort is needed for the engine to move with that viscosity. If you're on a balanced engine then I would recommend the 5W30 only (or lighter) but since your car is stock, W40 also won't make a difference la.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
If you have a look at the data sheets vs our malaysian weather, all we truly need is 10w only. Anything less is just overkill.

Dude, I know. I'm referring to the operating temps vs viscosity vs engine tolerances. Whether you use w40 or w30 in a standard engine it won't be significant enough to feel. I know how engine oil works, and there's no such thing as engine oil being too thick to reach the engine components. Even if you use 20W50 the oil will reach all parts of your engine. Just a matter of how viscous it is and how much effort is needed for the engine to move with that viscosity. If you're on a balanced engine then I would recommend the 5W30 only (or lighter) but since your car is stock, W40 also won't make a difference la.
That's why I don't really care is it 5W or 10W, doesn't matter at all
I am more concern with the figure behind.

Yes, it takes more effort to move which means it could damage the mechanism that should move smooth and also might cause improper oil pressure because it doesn't move as how engine was design.

Correct me if i am wrong.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is why when my friends go for 0W-40 I always tell them no need for Malaysian weather....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

That's why I don't really care is it 5W or 10W, doesn't matter at all
I am more concern with the figure behind.

Yes, it takes more effort to move which means it could damage the mechanism that should move smooth and also might cause improper oil pressure because it doesn't move as how engine was design.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Nah! not that heavy until mechanism can be damaged leh!
I have tested oil from 30 to 60 weight, 5w-30. 5w-40. 5w-50 and 10w-60. My engine still running after more than 10 years. Since my engine runs on hydraulic lifters for tappets, 30 weight is too light, the tappets becomes very noisy. 40 weight seems an ideal viscosity. 50 still ok, but 60 is heavy

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Aiya......no need so worry-worry about engine oil. So long it is reputable engine oil, can use oredi...

Even we human, sometimes oso need to eat other brand of rice, if the usual rice brand out of stock....ehehehe

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

That is why when my friends go for 0W-40 I always tell them no need for Malaysian weather....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I have tested oil from 30 to 60 weight, 5w-30. 5w-40. 5w-50 and 10w-60. My engine still running after more than 10 years. Since my engine runs on hydraulic lifters for tappets, 30 weight is too light, the tappets becomes very noisy. 40 weight seems an ideal viscosity. 50 still ok, but 60 is heavy

maybe the TS is an engineer in lubricants.....So, everything must be precise, as per specification. By the book, by the number.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Aiya......no need so worry-worry about engine oil. So long it is reputable engine oil, can use oredi...

Even we human, sometimes oso need to eat other brand of rice, if the usual rice brand out of stock....ehehehe

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

maybe the TS is an engineer in lubricants.....So, everything must be precise, as per specification. By the book, by the number.
In that case actually no need worry, even car manufacturer did not mention in car manual......hhahahhahahha:biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hahahaha...true.

Reminds me of those chinese printed manual/instruction....Donno to read or not read those manual/instruction....

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003

BTW what is your engine CC?
I tried 5w30 in a mazda 6 2500cc, very noisy, maybe due to the tappets. Change to 5w40 then OK

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2011_MZ6_OM.pdf

Page 8-19 : Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil (2.5-liter engine). Except USA / Canada : Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil. If SAE 0W-20 engine oil is not available, use SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 engine oil.

And doesn't Mazda6 have hydraulic tappets? It shouldn't make so much noise at all regardless of oil right? Maybe the adjustors need checking.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
BTW what is your engine CC?
I tried 5w30 in a mazda 6 2500cc, very noisy, maybe due to the tappets. Change to 5w40 then OK
VR4 2.0L turbo, now on 5w-40 also.....:driver:

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2011_MZ6_OM.pdf

Page 8-19 : Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil (2.5-liter engine). Except USA / Canada : Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil. If SAE 0W-20 engine oil is not available, use SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 engine oil.

And doesn't Mazda6 have hydraulic tappets? It shouldn't make so much noise at all regardless of oil right? Maybe the adjustors need checking.
To me, 20 weight is too light for Malaysia weather. My friend tried on his Odyssey 0w-20, town drive ok, higher revs oil disappear whereas on 0w-30 all is fine....:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi brother's,
Need some info bout Perdana v6's plug cable!!I'm looking for good high performance plug cables for my ride does anyone here know's where can i purchase the item coz i tried to find round Jaybee but itz very expensive and i'm not totally happy with the products.If anyone here knows where to purchase it plz kindly gimme de info thankz in advance:_:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience