Mat Rempit - Scourge of Malaysian Roads

JtuneD

5,000 RPM
Apr 2, 2004
State Of Trance
Visit site
Singapore Newspaper reports about Malaysian Mat Rempit..

How much trouble can you cause with a little motorbike?

Well, in the hands of a Mat Rempit, it can be a great cause of irritation to other road users.

Mat Rempits have annoyed the Malaysian nation with their reckless riding and total disregard for other road users.

Malaysian bloggers have complained that Mat Rempits take over streets in housing estates as well as main roads in the city centre for their street races that can comprise up to 100 motorbikes.

They speed, cut into lanes of other traffic users, create enormous amounts of pollution and noise and gather menacingly at traffic lights acting as if they own the roads.

When they are not racing, they are attempting stunts in open roads in a dangerous and haphazard manner for fun that often result into fatal accidents.

Such accidents occur when they are trying to ride away from the police, sometimes into on-coming traffic, and when failed stunts cause their bikes to fall over injuring or killing the rider and the pillion.

So who are these so called Mat Rempit hooligans?

According to Wikipedia.com, a Mat Rempit is a Malaysian term for an individual who participates in illegal street racing usually involving small motorcycles of less than 200cc, also known as Kapcai, or scooters.

'Mat' is a Malay slang term used to refer to a person with stereotypical characteristics of a Malay person.

The term 'Rempit' comes from the combination of the words 'ramp it'; to ramp the throttle.

It also sounds like the noise made by a small motorcycle.

Most motorcycles used by the Mat Rempits do not meet standard specifications or have been modified extensively.

Mat Rempits usually travel in big groups of over 30 bikes and race in bustling city centres on weekend nights till the wee hours of the morning.

It is estimated that there are about 200,000 Mat Rempits in Malaysia, according to Wikipedia.com.

The trouble they cause

Mat Rempits have been linked to gangsterism, gang robbery, street fighting, vandalism, theft, bullying and rape.

The Star newspaper reported that some desperate Mat Rempits who are in quick need of money are getting their girlfriends to provide 'sex services' to their friends.

According to a former Mat Rempit, most of them are always on the lookout for money to buy drugs.

An incident that has been regularly blogged about on the internet is the attack of a Canadian by Mat Rempits.

One night, the 43-year-old consultant on a job assignment in Seremban was driving a four-wheel drive with three friends when a car suddenly pulled up in front of his vehicle.

He was then surrounded by 40 Mat Rempits.

Manjit Singh from Montreal who travels to Malaysia regularly for work said when he wound down his window to inquire, one of them punched him.

He was also hit in his face with a helmet.

Mr Singh was injured in his left eye and mouth.

The Mat Rempits then went on to damage his vehicle's rear lights, wipers and number plates.

"It was the most harrowing experience. I was assaulted for no reason", he said.
Mr Singh said the motorcyclists warned him to be careful as he was a foreigner.

Public view

A member of Malaysia's opposition, the Democratic Action Party, and author of 29 books mostly about Malaysian issues, Lim Kit Siang was especially disgusted by Mr Singh's incident.

He is one voice that is loud and clear about Mat Rempit-ism.

In his blog, Mr Lim cites reports on the rampage and violence of Mat Rempits in the country.

One report shows that they are not afraid of authority.

Mr Lim blogged that two Mat Rempits attacked a police station with petrol bombs in the late hours of the night as they were not happy with the police having a road block.

In another incident, a group of ten Mat Rempits turned violent and attacked a police car and a few policemen when a favourite area of theirs was blocked by traffic police.

Mr Lim voiced his concerns saying they create fear among peaceful and law-abiding Malaysians as well as visitors with their lawlessness and contempt for the rights and safety of others.

He is also concerned that they are giving the country a bad name.

The general consensus shows that Malaysians are sick of them and want them to be stopped.

There is even a petition online calling to stop the Mat Rempit culture.

However, the government thinks otherwise.

What to do about them?

One Malaysian politician, Putera UMNO Chairman Datuk Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim, said for example, a representative from a Honda motorcycle and car dealer was impressed with the riding skills of these Mat Rempits.

The representative was also amazed with the engineering skills of the Mat Rempits, boosting the speed of the motorcycles to 180 kilometres per hour considering that the company's engineers were having difficulties in achieving a speed of 120 kilometres per hour.

So, in an effort to harness their potential, the government has come up with a plan to deal with the Mat Rempits; much to the amusement and fury of Malaysian bloggers.

This idea is the re-branding of the Mat Rempit name.

According to Bernama, UMNO wants to change the Mat Rempit name, with its negative connotations, to Mat Cemerlang (meaning Excellent Mat).

They hope this will alter the nation's thoughts of these hell riders into a positive one.

It was also reported that UMNO will reward the nuisance mongers with new motorcycles if they can catch over 30 snatch thieves.

Hopefully, this will encourage the Mat Rempits to help curb crime and become an asset to the nation.

Bloggers are still not impressed and see the attempts by UMNO as unfavourable to the general public.

They complain that the government wants to hire the Mat Rempits for their own political agenda, particularly to become 'spies' for UMNO.

Their question is "Why reward and favour criminals when they should be taught a lesson?"

To them, Mat Rempits are a public nuisance that must be stopped.

The debate of the Mat Rempit continues and will carry on doing so as long as they remain a threat to the public and the government comes down softly on them.

However, who knows if the attempts by the government to include them as a positive figure will work? If it does, then a lot of Malaysians can breathe a sigh of relief and have something to smile about.

With Singaporeans going over the Causeway for Chinese New Year and the holiday season carrying on into the weekend, AsiaOne advises everyone to be vigilant, let them be and be patient when manoeuvring on the roads.

Source : AsiaOne Motoring

Last edited:

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Just kill the rempits la. At road blocks, those who try to evade, just fire at will and bloody gun them down. If the asshole cops can't do it, give me a legitimate written letter that says I can kill the rempits, and I will be glad to man the road blocks every single night. I'm taking only a minimum of UZI (with 10,000 rounds of ammo) and no bloody stupid 6 shooters, thank you.

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
Count me in too .... I'll settle with a standard Remington with 500-odd rounds of "OO" buckshot.

"FARK all those Mat Short-dicks ..."

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
just shot kau them with Ak47 and tie them up,finish them off by throwing them into a balls of fire with some grenades!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Life is cheap for mat rempits. Guess when they get invlove in accident, just ignore them like flea-ridden cat at road side. let them rot.

JacEK

500 RPM
Nov 7, 2005
I couldnt believe what I saw last Sunday when I was on my way to Sg Buloh. I was travelling from Kepong heading to Sg Buloh round 7pm and from far on the hi-way, I saw a group of biker aka mat rempits from opposite direction blocking 2 lanes of the hi-way, riding slowly carrying BN flags. Most suprisingly, many of them not wearing helmets and some showing Rempit's idioitic stunts on the hi-way. If im not wrong, there are BN representative cruising with them in a perdana.

Not only causing a bad jam as all the cars stucked behind these bunch of idiots....their stunt oso endanger others.

So, did BN promised these rempits that if they vote BN and they win, BN will allow them to do ride their bike without helmet on Sg Buloh hi-way and allow to do stunt at the same time? Or maybe monthly incentive to these rempits to maintain their kapcai?

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
just make a play ground for them. 1st, they will have enough fun there and become less aggressive on normal road (just like after paying for a prostitute, after that won't want to rape people) . 2nd, some people can sell water and burger at that place (business opportunity). 3rd, gather them at 1 point and identify most of them to control other related criminal. 4th, to comply to the freedom/human rights's terms that comply to the American standard (as some people like to follow those western thinking, eg. canning a student is not right ).

Please note that, a lot of car also do the same thing which danger other road users. Hope someone don't just firing mat rempit but themselves drive like GT3 on the town road with fake GT3 standard rear wing.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Those who drive their cars like mat rempit probably got fed up with the govt and authorities for not doing anything to the rempits, so they also drive like shit. To add more to that, I seem to encounter more idiot drivers than rempits these days. Check out this blog that I got from somewhere.

===============================

Wonders of driving on malaysian roads
Road rage, murders, road bullies. These are just some of the extreme cases that's being reported daily. In line with those cases, citizens are starting to get worked up about who's suppose to do something about it and what should be done about it. It seems that things happening on the roads these days have increased two fold, or perhaps more, as compared to just a few years ago. Judging from a large number of malaysian driver's driving attitude, skill and morality, I doubt the number of cases will drop anytime soon.

The most common of all cases are road bullies. So what causes certain drivers to become road bullies? After driving for just a few years on the roads, I could pretty much say that the cause of road bullies is...yes...the drivers themselves. haha If people were to drive carefully, I figured that there would be minimal to no road bully cases. Typical scenarios that I've came across includes...

1. cutting queues at the front or almost to the front of a long queue.
2. turning right suddenly from the left lane of a 2 lane road.
3. shooting the red light even when the other side's traffic light is already green.
4. driving in the middle of 2 lanes.
5. driving slow on the right lane or the fast lane which is meant for over taking.
6. driving with the high beams on at night.
7. tail gating closely to the car in front.
8. stopping the car on a no stopping zone, like white lined areas.
9. making U-turns at NO U-TURN zones.
10. driving on the outer lane of a round about to go 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock or 6 o'clock..
11. stopping in yellow boxes.
12. honking/high beaming at the car in front for NOT stopping in the yellow box because there isn't space behind the car in front right after the yellow box.
13. stopping the car on a zebra crossing.
14. driving even faster so as to block a car when the car politely turns on the signal indicators to move into a lane.
15. cutting into a lane suddenly in a slow moving jam and hitting the brakes right after entering the lane, causing the car behind to slam the brakes.
16. cutting into a lane when there's hardly any space to cut in, causing the car behind to slam it's brakes.
17. coming out of a lane when the oncoming car is already so near, causing the oncoming car to slam it's brakes.
18. coming out of a car after pulling over due to an accident and start shouting all over even when the one shouting is the one who is wrong.
19. unreasonable honking and high beaming at other drivers.
20. tail gating while honking or high beaming at other cars while in the slow or middle lane, while the fast or over taking lane is totally clear.
21. motorbikers doing all sorts of shit like riding on highways or expressways when there is readily a motorbike lane.
22. motorbikers riding riding in the groups in all lanes and blocking other drivers.
23. motorbikers riding in an obstructive manner and ignoring other drivers.
24. motorbikers shooting red lights in big groups, causing the other traffic to halt even at green light.
25. motorbikers beating and murdering drivers in groups when the driver is blocking their way or honked / high beam at them to be careful.
26. motorbikers scratching other driver's cars for no reason at all.
27. motorbikers damaging other driver's cars for no reason at all.
28. motorbikers intentionally blocking or irritating other drivers, just because that driver honked at them for blocking the road.
29. fucked up pedestrians who crosses the road slowly even when there is an oncoming car, thinking they are the the kings of the roads. Unfortunately, I've only encountered malays doing this, really.
30. fucked up pedestrians who doesn't follow the pedestrian crossing light.
31. big vehicles like lorries, express buses, large trucks, etc. driving on over head bridges when there is a road through below the over head bridge.
32. big vehicles driving on the middle or fast lane in a 3 lane highway.
33. big vehicles high beaming at other drivers in the middle lane or the fast lane.
33. cars coming out of a turning and driving extremely slow when there's an oncoming car, causing the oncoming car to slam its brakes.
34. queing up to turn right on a left lane which is meant for turning left, holding up all the cars that wants to turn left.
33. queing up on the right lane to turn left or go straight, when there's only 1 left lane to turn left and the right lane is for U-Turn.
34. signalling to turn left or right and then turning out on to the lane to go straight, just after entering the lane to turn left or right. This will cause oncoming cars to slam their brakes.
35. not paying attention to the road and crashing into the rear of other cars, causing the other car to be non-accident free.
36. throwing cigarette butts out of the car window without giving a damn fuck whether there's another car behind or not.
37. stealing other people's parking spot when they have been waiting there and signal indicated already.
38. cutting queue and over taking cars in a parking lot, going all the way to the front and then stealing a vacant parking spot. They just don't follow the queue.
39. parking of cars haphazardly, causing the car beside it to have no space to open it's doors.
40. double parking and when being honked, the driver of the double parked car takes milleniums to come and remove the car.
41. double parking and blocking other drivers from passing through.
42. one car parking and occupying 2 parking spots.
43. motorbikes parking in a car parking lot.
44. cars parking in no parking zones, which causes other road users inconvenience.
45. turning right on a no right turning zone and vice versa.
46. driving so extremely slow when the traffic light turns green, causing only a few cars to pass the traffic light, which leads to a jam.

And just by sitting here, all those points came out of my head spontaneously. Practising patience on the road only goes that far. I've been trying very hard to be patient with many of those points I encounter on the road but sometimes, people just have to push way beyond anyone's limit. That's how road bullies start. It all starts from lack of courtesy and manners, which then leads to one being fed up and then on to being a road bully. Not that I'm encouraging impatience on the road but it's either you become a survivor or a victim. I opt to be a survivor cos I will take a millenium to reach my destination if I choose to be a victim. Tell me now, which do you choose to be?
===============================

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
those weren't rempit my friend.....

look hew they CARE about their life by wearing high quality helmets,padded jackets,glove,shoes all because scared being hit by zigzagging cars,no signalling or last minute lane changer,junction produce crash for not stopping and junction stupig driver....

although there's no need for side marshall for such a small group...

BTW from satria_95 quote

25. motorbikers beating and murdering drivers in groups when the driver is blocking their way or honked / high beam at them to be careful.
*i would like to add:: #drivers beating with weapons and murdering riders by ramming them when the rider honking/highbeam them for using emergency lane in traffic jams :biggrin:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

ok my car has sum bird shit on it...
n there is no way 2 wash it off...
i heard sum of my friends said there are sum stuff that cud make the shit go away...
anny1 of u knw what is it?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience