"Malaysian government cannot control price of cars" - MITI

SundayDriver

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
All of you layman people mostly talk cock as well..dream of having sports car every day!
Be in common sense lah! This is all politicians...vote them out? what u think also can solve ka? short minded laa u all..

Any politicians, current government on opposition also will do the same thing..they will take advantage of your dreams for god sake! since you guys keep dreaming..dat means no matter who rule the government,dat government still want to make money out of your dream car..no matter how much percentage and all, duties and excise still be relevant in order to run the country..

blame me for talk cock? ahaa..yes now see this,their car is much way cheaper of coz! to those countries, car is like accessories..so not much tax kena bayar laa..but look at their living cost, income tax, GST tax, food tax and other misc tax which much more triple than us! their currency also high..and their petrol also very high coz dont have subsidy!

go and get to work!! u guys too much dreaming..or maybe go back to zzZzzZzzzz..dont talk bout politics and economy laa when u dont have the scale..read THE EDGE and BUSINESS WEEK!! dont read motor trader and top gear only laa ..maaa haii!

aiyo... y wanna fire all those who dreams... wats wrong with dat? v not asking to get a lambo for under rm200k... if other country can sell vios for 40k, gov untung abit give here sell for 60k oso can la... v not asking for sports cars or wat also.. just a better standard of living...

other place cost of living very high but their standard of living oso in par.
about petrol subsidy all rdy diff story la... v got so much resources in the country i'm sure lowering the tax (price of cars) wont kill the nation rit?

anyway chill la bro..
lets c how things turn out in 2011

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
OK. I'm not anti GOV or what..I'm just being neutral here sharing my humble comments. The guys are not happy is because of the high car price not because they can't buy it. I understand their feelings, it's like you are paying for something that is priced unreasonably but if you want it then you have no choice but to pay that price in order to get it.

Guys, don't be mistaken on the article posted. Yes it's from Malaysia kini but the guy that said:
The price of cars in Malaysia may not go any lower if the government removes the various duties imposed on imported automobiles, said International Trade and Industry Deputy Minister Jacob Dungau Sagan.

He said there are various factors that are outside of the government's control in determining the price of imported cars, such as component prices and foreign exchange rates.

is not from Malaysia kini. It's from MITI.......

Our car prices are really high here, not only me who says this. I've been to different countries and is the local people that is shock when I tell them the car prices in MY. Same model but when you convert the MYR price to say JPY, EURO or USD...They still find it's much expensive than them. Yes they find our petrol price is cheap.

I was told that a new Mitsu Grandis CBU from Japan the sales tax + import duty is already 50K plus. Go find out yourself the selling price for the Grandis.

Some of you say, yeah their petrol price is high, VAT, tax this, tax that but be reminded that their earning is much better than us. Let me tell you my real experience not just base on hearing stories. I was in Frankfurt on May 2010. I went to my customer's company and you know what. They have 3 Porsche Cayenne Turbo as company car (for visitor use, people like me) and 4 VW Golf GTi as company for the sales person to use. I'm not kidding you. So how much is the Golf GTi priced in Europe?
27,275EURO with the manual 6spd
29,150EURO with the 6 spd DSG.

A New Evo X GSR in Japan is selling for:
5MT: 3,786,000 JPY
SST: 4,038,000 JPY
The only car I heard that the Japs is also consider it expensive is the R35....My customer in Osaka, his production workers are driving Evo8, MRS, DC5, E92, S2000 I posted those pic before. My another customer in Tokyo, the manager is driving a Jaguar XF, His sales guy even jokingly tell me that he can just give me his Toyota Aristo for free since it's more than 5 years the car i worth nothing...

I have a few friends in Japan and Hayase 1 of them work as an overseas sales dept guy...he himself can own 2 Harley Davidson bike, 1 Hayabusa, 2 cars and 1 house. His wife is not working and his daughter and kids are still schooling.

Yes, both is these country has a high living cost but they can cope up with it. Only a minority of people find it hard.

my 2 cents.

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
so many problem but we still survive till now ... more and more expensive car we can see now days... are we making less $$$ now days or other ppl making more $$$?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Hahaha...you guys...I believe each country has it own set of problems. It just that how worst is the condition and how it is solve and improved that is the important point. How you fall is not important but how fast you can stand back up is the key. Yes, we see all those developed countries like US, Europe, Japan, HK, China get hit the hardest when the economy crisis landed because they are the front runners so the impact on them is the hardest but in the process it makes them stronger and adaptable, make changes even much faster then before. If a country is not affected adversely from world crisis is because it is still not the front runner. Yes, we can laugh at those affected countries how their big companies went down this and that...but they are still always ahead of the run and are the ones making world policies not just inside their own country.

I believe both Proton and Perodua can churn out good quality models and they have improved along the road, well maybe not very significantly that would make people go WOW~~~ but they are taking the step bit by bit I'm giving them time. I believe if everyone is allow to compete fairly in the market our local car maker will grow very faster if they want to stay in the ring or risk getting kicked out of the ring.

Proton although is already 26 years, it's still a young company compare to the world players. Just to give you an idea how long has those big boys have been in the industry.

Mercedes founded: 1881 (129 years)
VW founded: 28 May 1937 (73 years)
BMW founded: 1916 (94 years)
ISUZU founded: 1916 (94years)
Porsche founded: 1931 (79 years)
Mazda founded: 1920 (90 years)
Mitsubishi founded: 1870 (140 years)
Toyota founded: 28 August 1937 (73 years)
Honda founded: 24 Sept 1948 (62 years)
Nissan founded: 26 Dec 1933 (77 years)
Chevrolet founded: 8 Nov 1911 (99 years)
Lamborghini founded: 30 Oct 1963 (47 years)
Ford founded: 16 June 1903 (107 years)
Ferrari founded: 1947 (63 years)
Subaru founded: 1954 (56 years)
Suzuki founded: 1909 (101 years)
Daihatsu founded: 1 Mac 1907 (103 years)
Aston Martin founded: 1913 (97 years)
Chrysler founded: 6 June 1925 (85 years)

So after looking at the list. Proton would look like a small kid to them with still a lot to learn

Last edited:

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No offense, but I don't think it has much to do with how many years it has been since the car maker was founded. It's to do with mentality, and attitude, not to mention the other integral ingredients for success in business eg. entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation etc. I mean, look at the list compiled above, where Mitsubishi is almost 2x as old as Toyota, but I think you wouldn't disagree when I say Toyota is on par with Mitsubishi, right? (In fact, Toyota is "the world's largest automobile manufacturer by of sales and production" based on this and this)

The protectionist policies currently enjoyed by local automobile manufacturers means that you will never see first class attitude since their mentality is that there will always be the government to protect them. If this remains, even another 50 years down the road, we'll still be kept waiting for a truly world class national car to be delivered.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hahaha...you guys...I believe each country has it own set of problems. It just that how worst is the condition and how it is solve and improved that is the important point. How you fall is not important but how fast you can stand back up is the key. Yes, we see all those developed countries like US, Europe, Japan, HK, China get hit the hardest when the economy crisis landed because they are the front runners so the impact on them is the hardest but in the process it makes them stronger and adaptable, make changes even much faster then before. If a country is not affected adversely from world crisis is because it is still not the front runner. Yes, we can laugh at those affected countries how their big companies went down this and that...but they are still always ahead of the run and are the ones making world policies not just inside their own country.

I believe both Proton and Perodua can churn out good quality models and they have improved along the road, well maybe not very significantly that would make people go WOW~~~ but they are taking the step bit by bit I'm giving them time. I believe if everyone is allow to compete fairly in the market our local car maker will grow very faster if they want to stay in the ring or risk getting kicked out of the ring.

Proton although is already 26 years, it's still a young company compare to the world players. Just to give you an idea how long has those big boys have been in the industry.

Mercedes founded: 1881 (129 years)
VW founded: 28 May 1937 (73 years)
BMW founded: 1916 (94 years)
ISUZU founded: 1916 (94years)
Porsche founded: 1931 (79 years)
Mazda founded: 1920 (90 years)
Mitsubishi founded: 1870 (140 years)
Toyota founded: 28 August 1937 (73 years)
Honda founded: 24 Sept 1948 (62 years)
Nissan founded: 26 Dec 1933 (77 years)
Chevrolet founded: 8 Nov 1911 (99 years)
Lamborghini founded: 30 Oct 1963 (47 years)
Ford founded: 16 June 1903 (107 years)
Ferrari founded: 1947 (63 years)
Subaru founded: 1954 (56 years)
Suzuki founded: 1909 (101 years)
Daihatsu founded: 1 Mac 1907 (103 years)
Aston Martin founded: 1913 (97 years)
Chrysler founded: 6 June 1925 (85 years)

So after looking at the list. Proton would look like a small kid to them with still a lot to learn
Sorry... also no offense.... If u really compare the list... Then u should also realize that back in those old days, there are not so much reference for them to do "RND"... But when proton was established, there are already a variety of cars in the market for them to knock down for research...

And infact, they were joint venture of mitsubishi that was one of the oldest JDM established automotive company... That was an opportunity to developed and learn. But they've chosen to announce themself as a novice instead.... So be a novice forever...

And also.... does one needs 140 years of experience to design and build a power window that can last for 2 years... If they can do it during the WIRA/SATRIA/PUTRA era... What can't they do it now..?

Wuahahaha...

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

No offense, but I don't think it has much to do with how many years it has been since the car maker was founded. It's to do with mentality, and attitude, not to mention the other integral ingredients for success in business eg. entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation etc. I mean, look at the list compiled above, where Mitsubishi is almost 2x as old as Toyota, but I think you wouldn't disagree when I say Toyota is on par with Mitsubishi, right? (In fact, Toyota is "the world's largest automobile manufacturer by of sales and production" based on this and this)

The protectionist policies currently enjoyed by local automobile manufacturers means that you will never see first class attitude since their mentality is that there will always be the government to protect them. If this remains, even another 50 years down the road, we'll still be kept waiting for a truly world class national car to be delivered.
I think it has been replaced by VW after they took over major share of PORSCHE...

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
If removing import tax wun make cars cheaper, then why does removing subsidies make prices higher? Hmmm...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Ok, you guys are right on your point. I don't think all the staff inside Proton is all bad and like to get protected there are people in the company that is trying to break through the barrier for the company to leap ahead for a better future. The problem is that the "barriers" in the company has more saying or power than those trying to break the barrier. Which hinder the advancement, do you think so?

I'm not siding Proton or I'm a Proton fan as I've personally seen some companies where the staff are good but the upper level is not, so it's quite hard for the lower ranks to make the call. If you have a good engineer, good designer but the result and idea is not accepted by the top guys...It's a waste...

For the joint venture thing, I believe there are people in Proton that welcomed it but is the people that makes the decision didn't welcomed it.

The problem is with the higher ranks mentality and thinking. Just look at R3, I don't think they are not capable and it has prove that there are people that are thinking differently.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
TR...yr right. there are improvements in the recent years. new models with more customer oriented amenities n design but they arent going at it fast enuff(as compared to the land of kim chi cars)...i really like their EMAS concept car tho. really hope they bring it to production and place it sub 30k. make it the rakyat's car. the BLM CANNOT be considered the rakyat's car as it's too expensive...i'm guessing the avg rakyat can only afford rm200-rm300/month on car instalments. they should work on designing a car based on that. right now they look more like they're not even sure what market they plan to capture....

R3 rawks! i say give them more freedom. engineers and designers work best when not constraint by management and lousy management makes it even worse.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I agree with what Titanrev says.

It's the mentality. BUT the mentality is caused by the poor quality product, cronyism, poor political backing and ridiculous taxes.

Look at Korea. They have high taxes but their citizens are super fiercely loyal to the Korean brands LG, Samsung, Kia and all that. Tesco is the only hypermarket to survive in Korea because they teamed up with Samsung to open their stores - so when Koreans see Tesco, they see Samsung too and that encourages them to buy from there. Stores like Walmart, Carrefour and all failed miserably even though they were cheaper.

WHY?

Because Korea doesn't churn out rubbish products. In Korea their cars are good. Their technology is super high-tech so much so even Japan is barely keeping up (most houses there have 1-touch technology and everyone is connected to the internet with super high speed connectivity). The Koreans are so fiercly loyal so much so that Samsung has become so big there that they have fingers in everything from makeup, cars, housing projects, electronics, computers, etc.. literally everything. And who benefits? Their government.

So why can't M'sia do the same? Because they aren't interested in the country, they're only interested in who can make their wallets fatter (cronyism) and do next to nothing for the rakyat. Hell they can't even quell one simple thing like racism.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I think automotive industry don't go well with politics. I say just let Proton's engineers and designer free from constraint. I'm an engineer myself and I don't like my hard work or project that I did for few sleepless nights went into the dust bin because a fat guy sitting on top says it's not necessary.

Off topic a bit, talking about internet speed. I can download 4 HD movies in about 5 hours in Japan so you do the math on how fast their internet speed is. Surfing ZTH in Japan is like a breeze.

Apart from Proton, the vendors involved in selling parts to Proton also needs to improved. Parts quality need to go up not down and the vendors too have to keep doing more RnD to produce better and improved parts to help the car company also. It's not a 1 man show thing, it involves different bodies and if everyone has to be on the same page.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i juz got saman from traffic police today .... the fine required wasnt listed there ... only thing written there is 2.Seksyen 16(1) melakukan galangan dengan meletakkan kenderaan yang tidak selaris dengan jalan .... the road is wide n how come causing obstruction ... anyone know how to check for the fine required n whats the best way to solve this shit ... sifu2 pls advice me thankyou :vollkommenauf::vollkommenauf:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience