LSD Gearbox..Share Your Real-time Experience Here. Comments Also

aja

Dec 3, 2003
Anyone with car equipped LSD gearbox want to share their experience actual experience here?. Tyres skidded etc?. Good for other users too!!.

alvin24

steering becomes heavier... because the LSD is always fighting to make both wheels turn at the same speed (go straight).

scoupe

Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
i too need some info on lsd gear box. soon i will be having one. will it help prevent wheel spin? i heard i wont be able to take a corner as fast as without lsd is it true? btw mine is a helical lsd what does that mean?
alvin24 said:
steering becomes heavier... because the LSD is always fighting to make both wheels turn at the same speed (go straight).

alvin24

There are several types of LSD...more common ones being helical and quafe... I think u better do a web search.. a picture paints a thousand words. I dunno how to describe its 'shape' or 'functionality' difference in words! wahahha... =Þ

Prevent wheel spin... hmm... it doesn't prevent it totally lar... but it kinda wheel spins differently... dunno how to explain this part oso. IT jerks rather than spins (kinda like grip, spin, grip, spin...). Won't be able to take corner as fast? This one i can't be too sure... i've never really driven my current engine setup without LSD...

putra4767

Sep 13, 2004
lsd

yup, this lsd thingy got me confused.....

some say good & some say not.....Of coz it depends on personal driving
taste or way........

But...what & why is lsd ??

Cheong Mou Kei 4G9XT

Ampang
www.geocities.com
(kinda like grip, spin, grip, spin...) yeah dat rite....while accelerating full trothle but oni for awhile

non LSD pickup wheel spin u fell stering is going 1 side and da whell is juz happily spining.

LSD give more traction while hard pickup

FF LSD has more tendency of understeer when entering corner at hi-speed but good traction while exiting da corner....

and it is important to use good quality LSD gear oil ....n it is not recomended to use normal gearoil in a LSD gearbox. it might damage o shorten da lifespan of da LSD

alvin24

Yeah... hehehe... thats the best way i can describe it (grip, spin, grip, spin...) kinda makes the car a bit jerky till u get full traction.

Non-LSD will go "SCREeeeeeeeeeeee* tires spinning, but the car still there. hahaha.. !! =Þ

Yes... I also agree on the gear oil... MUST USE GOOD LSD GEARBOX OIL !!! I'd recommend Redline or Kaaz... if u use cheap gearbox oil, when sharp turns that time you'll feel like as though your drive shaft super bengkok aledi (klack, klack, klack while the car whole car vibrates and steering pulls left-right-left-right)... but when drive straight then nothing! hahaha...

vtecer

Jul 28, 2005
alvin24 said:
Yeah... hehehe... thats the best way i can describe it (grip, spin, grip, spin...) kinda makes the car a bit jerky till u get full traction.

Non-LSD will go "SCREeeeeeeeeeeee* tires spinning, but the car still there. hahaha.. !! =Þ

Yes... I also agree on the gear oil... MUST USE GOOD LSD GEARBOX OIL !!! I'd recommend Redline or Kaaz... if u use cheap gearbox oil, when sharp turns that time you'll feel like as though your drive shaft super bengkok aledi (klack, klack, klack while the car whole car vibrates and steering pulls left-right-left-right)... but when drive straight then nothing! hahaha...

Is that 'klack, klack, klack' sound normal for LSD gearbox when taking sharp turn?? Mine sounds the same eventhoug the drive shaft is quite new.
Any comments?? :rolleyes:

aja

Dec 3, 2003
The reason i'm asking is because my car seems slipping a bit or more (not so critical) during heavy raining day on hway, especially when going thru deep water on hway also. FYI, my car currently now running on helical LSD (or known as Torsen LSD, gear type), which is quite differ from normal LSD (clutch type). For Clutch type LSD or normal LSD, normally if u turn the rightside trye, the other will follow. This do not apply to helical LSD.

Any cooments guys?.

scoupe

Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
with lsd on a powerfull car will it help wit the traction during rain? im gonna get a toyota 16v supercharger it comes with lsd but my mech said i need to be very carefull on wet roads cause the traction is low. btw will this also cause my car to oversteer during corner? any comment?

merz2

Oct 25, 2004
How to check wether the gearbox is LSD or not for 2WD gearbox...

vtecer

Jul 28, 2005
scoupe said:
with lsd on a powerfull car will it help wit the traction during rain? im gonna get a toyota 16v supercharger it comes with lsd but my mech said i need to be very carefull on wet roads cause the traction is low. btw will this also cause my car to oversteer during corner? any comment?

Bro, the lsd is suppose to give you a better traction because it will limit the spinning of the wheel especially for the powerful cars like yours.

I have no problem on my ride when taking corners. The LSD provide a good traction hence my ride just follows where ever you steer it even at a sharp turn. This give you confidence to take a corners.

The only by product that it produce is the 'klak,klak,klak' sounds when the steering is fully turn to left or right.

I am not sure about others because there is a few type of LSD. They may behave differently. :wink:

Another GTR crashes on Jalan Ampang. This time, it's said to be a Bangladeshi car jockey who probably thought the GTR's really fail proof. Sad to say, it's not exactly dummy...