Low oil pressure at idle and Mivec mode not cutting in 4G92 MIVEC help!

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Is there any chance there's oil sludge in your engine?
The oil on the dipstick looks pretty clean but its possible, anyway hopefully an oil and oil filter change will help if this is the case.

It was a used engine so no idea how long it at been sitting before I bought it and installed it.

Anyway investigations have been on hold for the last few days as I have had food poisoning :puke:

slowly starting to feel better so will look to get the oil change done next week

cheers

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ehh urs 4g63, dont u need those extra short filters? or is that just the later models
Proton have two filter models. Both have same size housing and rubber gasket, only one is larger in size and one is smaller. VR filter location is next to sub frame at the bottom. The large size filter will touch the frame so need the small filter.....lol:biggrin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Proton have two filter models. Both have same size housing and rubber gasket, only one is larger in size and one is smaller. VR filter location is next to sub frame at the bottom. The large size filter will touch the frame so need the small filter.....lol:biggrin:
Proton filter for Campro version which is smaller is the same as Perodua. However Proton original fiter is muck more expensive than Perodua. My Campro is using Perodua original filter.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Proton filter for Campro version which is smaller is the same as Perodua. However Proton original fiter is muck more expensive than Perodua. My Campro is using Perodua original filter.
The price I am getting at from a spare part shop near my place is RM8 for small filter and RM10 for the big one. If not Proton brand they are prices at RM7 and RM5 respectively....lol

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
ahh i didnt realize there were 2 sizes of proton filters.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ahh i didnt realize there were 2 sizes of proton filters.
Yah! if you go and buy at spare part shop and ask for proton filter they will ask 1.3 or 1.5, or big or small....lol
My hyundai sonata 3 also uses proton filters since their engine is Mitsu base......hhahahha:rofl:

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand

So felt better yesterday and got oil and oil filter change done, changed to 5W50 Mobil1 Fully synthetic with an original Mitsu oil filter

The problem came back with low oil pressure at tick-over but not until the oil was hotter this time.

The mechanic that did the oil change did say he thought the dashboard oil pressure light had been wired into the same sensor as the after market oil pressure gauge however, so next I will be looking into how this has been wired and replacing the sensor and maybe the gauge too if it points to that.

Thanks for all the support so far from this forum :adore:

@ sweelt my GF did give me charcoal pills after I was puking, I was like WTF are these :eek: but they seemed to work, anyway feel much better now thanks

Attachments

Reactions: ^pomen_GTR^

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
so..any finding??

Hi, sorry for the delay in my reply, been busy with work, and had to do a short overseas trip.

I did the oil and filter change, helped a little.

U then got the gauge checked and re-calibrated, it now reads just over 1 bar when the engine is hot and at tick-over.

The oil pressure looks fine as the rev's rise and for normal and faster driving.

The red dashboard old light flickers occasionally when the revs at tick-over drop really low, mostly only when the engine is hot but it is cool and the air-con is off so there is no load on the engine.

The Mivec I think is working, but I think the thicker oil I used for this oil change is making it slightly less responsive at higher revs.

I will probably do another oil change in about 5000KM and go back to 10W40 fully synthetic. I am on 5W50 fully synthetic now. I will keep on top of regular oil changes and maybe this will help as the engine may have been sitting around for a while before I bought it and got gummed up.

I did enquirer about replacing the oil pump, but its a big job so will see how things go for now.

Worse case is I will need a bottom end rebuild at some stage but now there is no sounds that suggest this is needed yet.

Just part of the fun of running a higher performance JDM engine that is almost 20 years old, and came from Japan with no history I guess :rolleyes:

Been on a few mid distance drives now and overall the car is running fine.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions from this forum, helps a lot to have a resource like this that is in English

cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I need help ! Why the radio and the clock doesnt working?? But the fuse at the back of the radio is okay,and the fuse in the dashboard is okay,i dont know why
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience