Looking for MRS with SMT & hardtop (year 2003 or onwards)

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Just bought the registration number today. Will register on 3rd January 2007. Can't wait to get the car now. Guys, still got any advise for me?

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
congrats mr ben. ensure the seller /shop does the neccessary alignments. check all tools in place / car manual (if there is~likely in japanese) / soft top gets correct treament~no loose ears protruding / all items in place.

after that take a drive.

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
The seller will change all the tyres with alignment & balancing. There were only a spare tyre in the front bonnet, a tool box behind the seat & nothing much extra. Bad part is that I got only 2 months guarantee. The car key controller part is kind of brittle though but I already asked for a change. And yes, I will do the checkings when getting the car. Currently sourcing for various upgrades & accessories for the car. Wanted to sell off the old head/rear lights, so I can change to the new one.

The only thing worries me is whether I made a right decision to buy the car. Many told me that I bought the car at a cheap price but personally I do not think it is cheap since my initial aim was the facelifted model. I fear of the facelifted model will be available soon after I got the car.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
hold them on the guarantee as it actually too short in my books.

i reckon some shops are still trying to get ride of old stocks (in fact a lot of use cars are finding it harder to sell cause looking for financing is a little tricky for many i heard).

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Just need some opinions from you guys. Seriously, do you think the deal I got is worth it? RM 110k (excluding insurance, road tax & misc. charges) for an unregister 2002 model with SMT, hardtop & upgraded with fog light.

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Just saw the MRS speedometer set (up to 240 km/h) at TOM's, priced at about RM 1.6k. Plan to replace the old one. Any advise on how to get it fix on my 5-speed SMT MRS? Any recommended workshops that know how to do it?

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
its for manual. SMT has a different cluster. u can get a brand new one (euro speedo is has 240kmh. but because ours are japanese (JDM) there is a speedo limit (fuel cut) at 180kmh. this applies to monster cars like JDM GTR34, EVO, WRX, NSX, S2K, etc.
(unless you have a aftermarket ECU to remove the "fuel cut" , its unfortunate having a 240kmh "to show only".

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Yea TOM's ECU version is for manual. So any aftermarket ECU to null the speed limiter? Any local workshops can do it?

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Just got my yellow spyder today. Feeling good but still learning to master the SMT shifts as I used to drive auto transmission all this while.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
try driving "like" a manual (using gear lever) as oppose to buttons to "up shift".
& only use the buttons to "down shift" . remember to lift your foot off acelarator when shifting up. u will get use to it after a while

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks for the advise. Another thing is the tyres, as the seller gave me RM 700 to find & change the tyres myself. It is freaking hard to find 195/50 R15 & 205/50 R15 with the same thread. Most of shops asked me to either to change to 16"/17" rims (which I reluctant to do so, as the stock rim with spyder logo still looks new to me) or use all round 195/50 R15. I'm in a great dilemma right now.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
try calling andy (yokohama branch at sunway) for recommendations for tyre manufacturer for rear 205/50/15

Stock tire size
offset is 45

Front 185/55/15 or 195/50/15
Rear 205/50/15 or 195/55/15

-------------------------
205/45/16 and 225/40/16

Stock Tires Size
00-02
front - P185/55SR15.0
rear - P205/50SR15.0

Proposed
00-02
front - P205/40SR16.0
rear - P205/45SR16.0

03-05
front - P185/55VR15.0
rear - P215/45VR16.0

he is familar with MRS as several members has sent their cars there.

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Just change the tyres to Continental SportsConti with 195/50 R16 & 205/45 R16.

code

Sep 2, 2005
KL
just an update:
- went hunting last sunday after some car-dealer filtering.....a green mrs appeared on the way to kl. good sign....
- cut short....found what i wanted after 3 visits, black mrs yr 2k, reg 04, manual 5 speed....originally 108k, but got it at 90k....d/p 5k....2k booking...
- sent in docs last monday, today only approved....ambank, 4.5%....originally 7 yrs, but officer said 9 yrs no problem, so i opted for that....monthly ~rm1100....cimb phoned me too later today, but i already agreed to ambank.
- have nice bodykit, plate numbers and exhaust system makes a nice bassy rumble....no annoying grwoling/pitchy sound while topless....
- viper security alarms
- 'midship runabout' emblem.....
- tyres 205/17all 4 corners, lowered but comfy, passed going through high humps, also did not notice/feel any rubbing while hard cornering....may need to stagger it because salesman went white while test driving...thinking of 225s for the rear. will see first because i can still control the swaying action. admire how the car begs to go faster at corners, WOW ;) do u guys have any preferred area honing your driving skills? thinking of the car park area beside the shah alam stadium...friend gave input that no ju-ons in white will kacau. will wait for a rainy day to come out and play
- to do: settle bank draft tomorrow, and hopefully sunday can drive it back home...wish it was earlier but got classes on saturday. 2 more days, 2 more days ;)

some cons....
- engine mileage quite high ~100K .... but no rough idling, and engine can still scream smoothly with no black/blue/white smoke at high revs...still considering the 1zz if the 'unthinkable' (touchwood) happens. then given some time, if the power-crave creeps in, considering a bolt-on siput....will appreciate your advice(s) when that time comes....
- seats comfy but looks crappy, adding leather to the seats and doors.....salesman let me seat in the beemer 6something coupe as work example. heh ooookkkkey i was sold....just got on to 'first base' and start the car hehe wish i could have taken the baby out.
- let' s seeee, what else....other than the paint needing some small touch-ups, that concludes my me-no-like thingies.

tx for the advices...indirectly, this post helped me a lot :)

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
congrats. please verify car cond with your favourite mechanic/workshop to ensure care for car. (if you dont have one & would like somewhere around sunway, pm mrmic for details (GT @ sunway).

shah alam car park (near stadium is off limits as its "locked", one can only use the area upon booking. btw there are autocross events held there often, so you know how to improve skills la..

check out older links on MRS under "toyota section" (too bad the thrend wasnt shifted into hosted area). Lots of FAQ were posted & would serve as an important info (some cronology of the development of MRS)

link to 80+ pages --->
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/toyota/15602-toyota-mrs-mr2-spyder.html

i would also as spyder owners to lurk at spyderchat for knowledge. (mind you do a search first on topics as they can be hard on newbies)

Last edited: