Leaking T-Bar!

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hi All,

It rained exceptionally heavy today and normally, my roof won't leak so much, only maybe a drop or two from the joint nearer the front. But today, it literally poured water into the cabin. The leak was from the join nearer the rear and i did not even open the door.

any one got any solution for this? i already bought a second hand rubber lining that goes round the door and t-bar but someone told me that it is actually the glass roof rubber that needs to be replaced. i have not found that yet.

I have already used silicon to permanently seal the roof to the body and i thought it was already water proof :) apparently not...

any advise would be great!. thanks.

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
it's always happen at here:

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hi Khoo,

Yes, but today, it happened on the back. :P

Reading a few other forums, looks like silicon spray might do the trick!

iexit

1,500 RPM
Aug 18, 2005
Selangor
iexit.multiply.com
A good DIY way would be to adjust yr doors first then simply line the hollow insides of the door rubber with a soft rubber/fish tank plastic hose to ‘fat’ it up

I also bought black silicone to add more height to the rubber, but do it tastefully if not it will look like ass...

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
grease? where u want to put it?

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Around the rubber lining of the glass and the body. If grease works, it would be better than silicone because it doesn't glue the targa roof to the body :)

Last edited:

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
pls dun do tht oblivion....i think the grease will corrode the rubber badly......
iexit....i tried tis before(make the rubber fatter)but the door become hard to close....

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
Water leaking especially where Khoo198 pointed out is common.

2 main reasons are due to misallignment of the heavy door over time and poor maintenance of rubber lining.

To remedy the 2 problems above:

1. try reinstalling the door so that it is in proper position and;

2. maintenance of rubber lining with diver's grease or of similar properties on a clean surface frequently is encouraged.

It would be a pity to seal permanently with silicone of some sort.

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
hi khoo, ok, no grease :)

i think i get what you mean by making the rubber "puffyier". my targa roof also not 100% aligned with the body. Somehow the metal side of the roof, is slightly higher than the main body. I will take photo and post later, easier to see :) But i think the roof sits in properly already.

The door alignment could have some thing to do with it as well, i could hear the door creaking when i drive about. I assumed it is because the body is old and flexes. not sure.

I wonder if there are any mechanics that you guys know who have fix the leaks before? or is this mostly DIY?

Thanks.

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
oblivion,try this..makatman 0126678590
found in previous thread.

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
The idea to fill the trim with a fish tank hose is brilliant!! I always apply the leather/tire/interior polish to my trims and it works well to ensure the rubber lining is puffy and the door windows would slide over it closing all gaps, instead of rubbing hard against the rubber due friction and misalignment. Try it, it works for me, whenever it starts raining in the car, I'll apply the polish liquid, wait awhile, and wipe as required over all rubber surfaces and 'waterbreak test' will usually pass (basically shower the car with high pressured water!!)

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hi All,

went to see makatman this week :) he said he did lots of mr2 roofs before and would normally take 1 whole day. I didn't have time to leave my car there yet, but will maybe next week. will update you guys soon :)

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hi Guys,

Got the roof fixed in a day by makatman. But, the cost is a little questionable, however, i did not negotiate much with him on that.

Anyway, basically, he used a type of sponge at the contacts points of the glass roof. It looks like sound proof material which is water and heat resistant. Quite a simple solution as he explained that over time, the roof rubber collapse and shrink. so, need to pad it back.

Results? I think so far so good... i have not experienced heavy rain yet, but normal washing, seems to be quite water tight....:)

so, besides the cost of workmanship, i think generally quite happy with it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Odyssey user,

Would like to know whether could Honda Odyssey RA1 year 1995 can convert Odyssey RA6 front bodypart.
Could RA6 front bodypart like headlamp, bonet, feeder and bumper could be install into Odyssey RA1?

Is it plug n play (PNP) bodypart front Odyssey RA1 with RA6???

Please advise and if anyone have converted it, please include or download the photo to this thread or email to me. ( [email protected] )

Thank you very much.

RONIN (...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience