LAUNCH: Proton Prevé (From RM59,990 to RM72,990 OTR)!

Will you buy the Proton Prevé?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I just wanna share my experience test driving the newest Proton a few days ago. The only available test drive unit was the CFE version.

After filling in the form, I took the key (not really a key but a kind of tiny plastic box/immobilizer) from the pretty sales advisor :biggrin:, put it in the slot, press the brake pedal, and push the start button. From standstill, throttle response was dull, meaning there's very little response in the first few mm of pedal travel. I really don't like this, but I guess some people just don't bother with it. Once picking up speed, throttle response improved a bit, but I still felt that it could be improved. There's no feeling of underpower once the engine speed rises above 2000rpm. Tried the sports mode. The RPM went up by 1000 while still maintaining the current speed. Throttle response was not significantly better. When I mash the trottle, the acceleration can be felt. I believe Proton's claimed 0-100km/h time of 9.6s is easily achievable. Then I tried the 7-speed manual mode. Shifting speed was okay, but it's not immediate. Acceptable for a CVT I think.

In the ride and handling department, I can say that Preve is a level above it's competitors like Persona, Waja, Forte or City. I dunno about Inspira since I never drove one. The ride comfort is almost similar to Civic but the handling is much better. Suspension is firm and the rebound is fast like continental cars setup but not harsh over small stones and yellow lines. Body roll is well retained during cornering. Thumbs up! :top:

NVH levels are very good at low and medium speeds. However, I couldn't manage to drive it above 110km/h, so I dunno about its NVH levels above that speed.

Design wise, it looked quite good (to me) especially in white. Much better in real compared to photos.

Interior: Quite okay. The quality of plastic used is almost the same level as Forte. Interior design is average but ergonomics is really good. My left leg can rest in comfortable position and didn't fight for space with centre console. Seat height is adjustable. The steering is small but precise and nice to hold. Steering feel is just okay, it's light but I can still get some feedback from it, but not that much. Steering ratio is quick and I like this.

The only thing that bothered me was the sluggish throttle response. I hope Proton do something about this. Other than that, thumbs up to Proton! :driver:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
If they offer the manual CFE version, that's syok man..

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
srsyly, if this topic was about a bugatti veyron assembled by proton dunno if u all wud be so hike up about this issue of proton making a global car LMAO :biggrin:

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
I just wanna share my experience test driving the newest Proton a few days ago. The only available test drive unit was the CFE version.

After filling in the form, I took the key (not really a key but a kind of tiny plastic box/immobilizer) from the pretty sales advisor :biggrin:, put it in the slot, press the brake pedal, and push the start button. From standstill, throttle response was dull, meaning there's very little response in the first few mm of pedal travel. I really don't like this, but I guess some people just don't bother with it. Once picking up speed, throttle response improved a bit, but I still felt that it could be improved. There's no feeling of underpower once the engine speed rises above 2000rpm. Tried the sports mode. The RPM went up by 1000 while still maintaining the current speed. Throttle response was not significantly better. When I mash the trottle, the acceleration can be felt. I believe Proton's claimed 0-100km/h time of 9.6s is easily achievable. Then I tried the 7-speed manual mode. Shifting speed was okay, but it's not immediate. Acceptable for a CVT I think.

In the ride and handling department, I can say that Preve is a level above it's competitors like Persona, Waja, Forte or City. I dunno about Inspira since I never drove one. The ride comfort is almost similar to Civic but the handling is much better. Suspension is firm and the rebound is fast like continental cars setup but not harsh over small stones and yellow lines. Body roll is well retained during cornering. Thumbs up! :top:

NVH levels are very good at low and medium speeds. However, I couldn't manage to drive it above 110km/h, so I dunno about its NVH levels above that speed.

Design wise, it looked quite good (to me) especially in white. Much better in real compared to photos.

Interior: Quite okay. The quality of plastic used is almost the same level as Forte. Interior design is average but ergonomics is really good. My left leg can rest in comfortable position and didn't fight for space with centre console. Seat height is adjustable. The steering is small but precise and nice to hold. Steering feel is just okay, it's light but I can still get some feedback from it, but not that much. Steering ratio is quick and I like this.

The only thing that bothered me was the sluggish throttle response. I hope Proton do something about this. Other than that, thumbs up to Proton!
Went to see the car but didn't get the chance to test drive. The interior looks better in real life. And for the first time, Proton has managed to get the materials right. The plastics are FINE. But the fit and finish are still not up to mark. Closing the glovebox is a bit notchy. Seats are firm and nice. Suspension is set firm - the car hardly moves when I get in and out of the car. Steering looks like import grade.

Throttle lag? probably it's the drive-by-wire thingy. The car is also heavy hence the feeling of slightly underpowered.

Proton should have come out with a car like this 5 years ago. And where is the CFE 6-speed manual?? It's a global car.. mat sallehs love stick shifters!:driver:

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I managed to test-drive a CFE Preve last Saturday, and here is my opinion:

Exterior:
Looks better in real life. This is maybe because in real life, you are looking at an angle downwards to the car, as opposed to the pictures where you were looking upwards. Some people can say that Proton should have made the car attractive from all angles, but as a Honda fan, I am forced to swallow my pride and say, objectively, that the FD Civic looks flat from the side also, and the rear lights look like a cheap abomination from Altezza.

The Audi-like LED, when viewed during the dusk, is like wow. It makes the silhouette of the car looks menacing enough for people to double-guess and just make way: for a Proton to overtake.

Interior:
The dashboard's design, surprisingly, is not bad also. I can understand the direction: some people like bubbles, Angeline Jolie likes knife.

Colour choice: I've seen worse in Evos, but everybody loves Evos. Just because everybody loves the engine doesn't make the seats less sh*tty.

Seat's headrest reminds me of CRX EG2, which is my favourite. Seat is almost as firm like an BMW E92: which I don't personally prefer: if it's a family car, a 'balik kampung' ride, I want my cushion as thick and slack as performance can allow. Japanese Yakuza-sytle thick or British royal-syle thick, not Scandinavian or German minimalist sh*t. I didn't ask for chrome trims or undercarriage neons. I just appreciate my spine.

But when I stepped out of the car, my head hit the upper door frame. What the f**k. My old EG6 is small but I never hit the door frame ever. Probably the seat height: tall, but the cushion is not thick. So what makes it tall then?

Ride & handling:
Ride is good: you can sit in a BMW F10 and your butt won't be able to tell the difference. Believe me: go sit in a BMW F10, and then find a pothole.

Handling is where this car shines. The car is high, yes, but the handling is still good for such a high car. The only way that this car can get into an accident, like in the viral photo, is that the SA forgot to downshift (maybe he's on the 7th gear hohoho).

Performance:
Performance from standstill is similar to what other people say: sluggish. You need to rev until 2,000rpm before you feel the difference. When the turbo kicks in, hmmm... not bad. I used the S mode, but I feel like the S mode is more suitable for say: auto-cruise touge? Sometimes it holds rev too long. Personally I like to use the paddle shift more: makes me able to choose... when I'm excited. When I'm lazy, S mode or D mode is enough.

Verdict:
A car enthusiast wants a fairly powerful car. If it doesn't have the horsepower, it must have torque. This car has the torque.

A married car enthusiast however, who also happens to works in KL, wants a fairly powerful car that is not a manual, otherwise you go through MRR2 traffic often enough and your knee will become cacat: love your kepala lutut fellas. And, not the traditional auto either. He wants a tiptronic so that he can be Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde when he chooses. And his wife can become Mrs. Jekyll when sending the kids to the nursery.

So what turbo torquey tiptronic family car can you buy in the market? Colt? Not a sedan. Legacy? RM50k more... for a used unit. Evo GTA? A bit harsh for the children.

That leaves you with... Preve?

Brand sentiment? We are mature enough to overcome that, don't we?

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
In Malaysia, can safely say that majority of the average driver buy a car according to brand only. Toyota and Honda branding is very strong in majority of the people. Trying asking 10 people is Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Suzuki good? they sure give you that blank face....The Vios and City is overrated....the underdogs? the Sentra, Latio, Mazda 2

Just my 2 cents...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
So what turbo torquey tiptronic family car can you buy in the market? Colt? Not a sedan. Legacy? RM50k more... for a used unit. Evo GTA? A bit harsh for the children.

That leaves you with... Preve?

Brand sentiment? We are mature enough to overcome that, don't we?
Fair assessment of the car.
this point made me ponder, are there any turbocharged CVT cars prior to this Preve? I can't think of any.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
In Malaysia, can safely say that majority of the average driver buy a car according to brand only. Toyota and Honda branding is very strong in majority of the people. Trying asking 10 people is Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Suzuki good? they sure give you that blank face....The Vios and City is overrated....the underdogs? the Sentra, Latio, Mazda 2

Just my 2 cents...
Erm.. underdog? Perhaps the Latio drives well but looks awful. Sentra 1.6 drives awful. Sentra 1.8 is overpriced. Mazda2 not bad.

But then again this is my own opinion.

As for the Preve, nice review Deaconfrost!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
ixeo, it was the ixora bold iirc
ah, yes. I meant, other than Proton doing it. somehow in my mind CVT has not have a good track record with high horsepower/torque usage. and for the life of me I cannot think of any other car manufacturer pairing CVT with turbo -- stock from the factory that is.

izso: I like the new Latio hatch's rear..like it more than the Preve. I really can't swallow Preve's rear end... look like it got rear ended.

of course, looks are subjective.

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
ah, yes. I meant, other than Proton doing it. somehow in my mind CVT has not have a good track record with high horsepower/torque usage. and for the life of me I cannot think of any other car manufacturer pairing CVT with turbo -- stock from the factory that is.
Colt is CVT.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Just when I thought the Preve is ruined by it's Persona platform...

Youngman Lotus T5 - an SUV based on the Gen2 platform. One could think that the Persona/Preve/Gen2 platform has a high back for a purpose - to form the back of an SUV/crossover.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Looks like there are mixed reviews here. Not surprising actually. Everyone is entitled to his /her own view. useful for those who might want to own this Preve.

Keep the review coming, guys.

Seng_song

Known Member
Jan 16, 2009
Penang
Proton need to keep the run at this pace. Introducing new model in every 5 years to replace the older. So, we can expect much more improvement in next model.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, can any sifus teach me on how to off that irritating starting ceremony and warning beep sound for the Auto Gauge 60MM SUPER AMBER AND WHITE? Appreciate it! Have tried to google and tried those methods but to no avail. Thanks!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience