Lacing up for Fatlace’s Word Up drift clinics

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

This is exactly the thing we need here in Malaysia, proper promoting of drifting at the grassroots level. Fatlace have been organising their Word Up grassroots drifting and open day for a while now with the sole purpose of instilling the basic drifting know-how in anybody interested in learning and picking it up.

Granted there are plenty of open track drifting events here but sometimes the newbies need a little guidance and for an experienced hand to show them ropes. This is where a drift clinic would be thoroughly useful and I think it the response would definitely be more than overwhelming because there’s surely somebody out here wanting to take up drifting but just doesn’t have the know-how yet.

As you can see from the video, Word Up is a pretty laidback event and that would surely benefit the participants and not put them under any unnecessary stress to pick things up quickly or feel left out.

One of the best ways to get about picking it up is surely through car clubs. Right now, I dare say there’s a car club for almost every model out there and most of them are quite active when it comes to members activities.

Based on personal experience, this is one of the best ways to dip your toes in the water and meet some great people that are always eager to lend a hand. Of course, this doesn’t just go for drifting alone. Generally, joining a car club is a great way to enrich your knowledge of your car.

I too recently joined the Cefiro A31 Club of Malaysia for one of their weekend open drift days at Putrajaya. While it was just a casual open drift day, there were a number of newbies that were eager to learn, myself being part of that group.

All the senior members were more than helpful and even sat shotgun to show the beginners the basics of drifting. We’ll be sure to get some coverage the next time something like this is being held.

Anyways, the video is surely worth a watch as it captures perfectly all the aspects that make a Fatlace event so enjoyable and fun.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/18263266" width="400" frameborder="0" height="225"></iframe>Fatlace Word Up! from iPhilms on Vimeo.

Source: Fatlace

Attachments

biz-da-tech

500 RPM
Jan 21, 2006
nice sharing~ and yeh i also hope there going to be alot event on nortern regions cuz we here are bored !! more event will bring less street illegal ignorant drivers. but entrance fee dont expensive enuff also hahaa.

anyway hope thix 11 year will have alot of event on nortern regions side :(

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
DCM used to conduct regular drift clinics back in the day, helmed by Zee and Yoong. It was affordable and was good. There is a lot of enthusiasm here but no one understands how difficult it is to organise these things, and take your time away to do them. And lack of numbers. Everyone always says "Oh wish they had this here too" but when someone organises something, only a hardful turn up. People dont wanna pay for it, or they think they don't need any coaching or improvement, etc etc. And for the poor instructors, you think it's fun meh to sit next to beginners and spin all day long? Frickin get dizzy and sick man.
So eventually, after awhile, the event/clinic/course dies off.
That's the natural order of things here in Malaysia.
So don't say no one organises it, they do. There's just no support or demand for it. All heresy.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I have to agree with Adian. It's very true.

When there's none, ppl will say wish to have one but when it is organised there will be excuses.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
TR..sometimes its the cost that puts ppl off..not everybody has a huge cashflow to play around with. life priorities sometimes suck. u've gotta choose between wants and needs. like track days. its in SIC so those outside of KL/Selangor area might be put off by the travel distance and then the cost of joining..easily rm500++ not counting misc stuff consumed on the track itself. what with the increasing fuel and living expenses, some ppl are really just cant help to want but not afford.

but the workshop that adian mention...i really havent heard of it before. never visited dcm till the A-drain incident heheh

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Arturo, you can go to Bukit Jalil..sometimes I see clinics being held there. small ones around 5 to 6 cars.

Arturo, yup. its a 50/50 thing.

yams727

Jul 26, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Btw, open track days at SIC organised by SIC are rm150 for a half day session. And you can check sepangcircuit.com.my for more info on when it's being organised. To say its cheap or expensive is subjective, but it is the best and safest way to test your machines and enjoy doing it. As for drift clinics i'm not aware of the cost, but as mentioned above there has to be some form of cost associated to it. Venue and mentors don't come free.

wkwoo69

Known Member
Mar 13, 2004
For every single enthusiast-level event which is organised (and I thank you all for doing so, much rather you than me!), there'll always be idiots who moan and groan about the fees but as some has pointed out here, no they don't think about the necessary effort, sacrifice and opportunity cost involved. These are the same fools who spend thousands and thousands on doing up their rides and still complain about a couple of hundred bucks! Maybe the govt will help us in this regard one day, if its not paying thousands for a friggin' screwdriver.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi bros & pros,

just wanna ask? how to know whether the sports spring still can be used or not/kong just by itself?

i got my pren sports spring brand monza ie progressive sports spring but he said had be using it for 1 1/2 year alredi. is it kong alredi or can be used it.

i don wan to pasang it and later knowing that its kong alredi. waste my $$$.

can help aaa all the sifus in zth. thanks a lot bros.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience