Kelisa ride/handling problems

chriszzz1225

Oct 10, 2012
Penang
Hi all, I am starting this thread to get some insights/advices/solutions on what could have caused my Kelisa's increasing problematic ride and handling:

About a week ago my car skidded and hit a road divider. It was raining and I was driving across a hill road in Penang (Relau hill to be exact if anyone of you is from Penang). While negotiating a rather tight corner (I was driving quite slow, around 30 to 40kmh as I know the road is wet), my car lost traction and started steering to the oncoming traffic. I had to hit the brakes cos the corner was leading to a downhill path and god knows what will happen if I don't brake. The crash broke my car's left lower arm (screwed my left fender as well), so I got it replaced. My mech said that my car could have faced hydroplaning due to water or grease on the road, but as the one experiencing the crash I know that it is not merely these factors that caused the skidding. :confused:

I have actually got both of my car's front lower arms, front arm bushings and front stabilizer bushings replaced 2 weeks ago. Alignment was done too. So supposedly the car should had handled better than before as these components were really worn off. In fact, during non-raining seasons, my car handles rather okay. My front shocks are standard Kayabas and 3 years old, and I'm running on 14 inch wheels. While turning there was no creaking sound so I think the problem shouldn't be a worn off driveshaft.

Could it be some worn off camber bolts, or steering issues? Do lend some insights on my issue ya, thanks a bunch!

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If you skid at low speed, most of the time the culprit is the tyre. Alignment camber all ok means all 4 tyres contact with the ground. So if skid means tyres not grippy

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
tyre problem

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
You need to know how much your tyre thread still left? Almost bald tyres or very little thread left? Dry usually okay. When wet. You will be in trouble

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
as far as I know if all other mechanical thingy in a stock car @ an average riding style is in good condition, it must be them tyres, especially when u r riding a kelisa. I'd give 10/10 points for it's handling if it's a stock car @ an average riding style.:smokin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
or simply got ppl put oil on the road...

on dry road+oil already dangerous.....

hence wet road+oil..the dangerous level is increased exponentally with speed :driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
or simply got ppl put oil on the road...

on dry road+oil already dangerous.....

hence wet road+oil..the dangerous level is increased exponentally with speed :driver:
Ya bro only 2 obvious possibilities. Oil or bald tyres

chriszzz1225

Oct 10, 2012
Penang
You need to know how much your tyre thread still left? Almost bald tyres or very little thread left? Dry usually okay. When wet. You will be in trouble
My tyres are just 4 months old. Thread wise I should say around 80 percent the least...

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

as far as I know if all other mechanical thingy in a stock car @ an average riding style is in good condition, it must be them tyres, especially when u r riding a kelisa. I'd give 10/10 points for it's handling if it's a stock car @ an average riding style.:smokin:
lol... yeah kelisas will definitely handle well in tolerable speeds... but since my tyres are rather new and well threaded, i guess there other factors as well. would the brand Hankook be a problem? read from somewhere that they are not grippy in the wet.

Ya bro only 2 obvious possibilities. Oil or bald tyres
I too thought oil was the culprit at first. But then a few cars behind me passed that particular corner, seemingly with higher speed, and nothing happened. :confused:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
maybe u can check ur tyre spec 1st, as 4 the external possibilities, it is possible sabotage @ previous day got accident & got oil spill

wifey lenovo wit tapatalk

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
My tyres are just 4 months old. Thread wise I should say around 80 percent the least...

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

lol... yeah kelisas will definitely handle well in tolerable speeds... but since my tyres are rather new and well threaded, i guess there other factors as well. would the brand Hankook be a problem? read from somewhere that they are not grippy in the wet.

I too thought oil was the culprit at first. But then a few cars behind me passed that particular corner, seemingly with higher speed, and nothing happened. :confused:
30-40 is quite slow and since your tyres are new, it can't be. What is the year of the tyre? If corner + sudden hard breaking on wet, is possible to skid. Cuz rear tyres will lock, then when is wet, is even worse. Really no puddle of water when you recalled? Maybe only little oil spilled by trucks or buses?

I skidded before on my silverstone tyres during a corner. About 70% thread left. Drizzling only, ground is wet. During the corner, I stomp the brake hard and I skidded. Lol. Saved by the curb.

Tyres grip or not have to seek tyre Sifu vr2turbo. Hehe!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I have actually got both of my car's front lower arms, front arm bushings and front stabilizer bushings replaced 2 weeks ago. Alignment was done too. So supposedly the car should had handled better than before as these components were really worn off. In fact, during non-raining seasons, my car handles rather okay. My front shocks are standard Kayabas and 3 years old, and I'm running on 14 inch wheels. While turning there was no creaking sound so I think the problem shouldn't be a worn off driveshaft.

Could it be some worn off camber bolts, or steering issues? Do lend some insights on my issue ya, thanks a bunch!
If car handles well in the dry, then it is either tyre problem or something on the road at that corner. Oil and water is one of the most slippery surface. The Kerinchi link from KL have got many victims already. Buses usually spill diesel in that corner and when it rains many cars have skidded and hit the wall. I have actually seen a SUV skid in this same spot.
Coming back to you what model of Hankook tyre are you using?
Ventus, Optimo or Kinergy range?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Bro, don't judge things by brands. Goodyear NCT5 is shit but Goodyear Eagle F1 asy damn magnificent. Right? Give us the model, VR2 sifu can advise.

I have a hunch its you bought bad spec tyres.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro, don't judge things by brands. Goodyear NCT5 is shit but Goodyear Eagle F1 asy damn magnificent. Right? Give us the model, VR2 sifu can advise.

I have a hunch its you bought bad spec tyres.
But anyway cannot do much in 165/55R14 size, unless can find PP2 like Bro. SF or use BS RE-030. Others are entry level tyres only. Even NCT5 consider not bad when new, Your NCT5 are already after 50% so the performance is pretty bad now. Even NCT5 do not have in this size. The lower Duraplus and Ducaro only have.....:rolleyes:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i need some suggestion from you guys
1)Suzuki swift sport / suzuki swift
2)Honda civic es 2.0
3)Toyota vios
i'm not really pro about car.http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/images/smilies/gtnsmilies/stupid.gif
My budget is around 75k - 110k
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience