Is it possible to DIY rear disc brakes conversion???

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Anybody ever done the project above?

I need advise from anyone who know or ever done before. Can if be done with normal tools like wrenches, plyers, screwdrivers without workshop tools?

What are the things I need to get? Before this, I thought it is the disc brakes set only. Then the workshop guy told me about knuckle. What is this knuckle thing? And can we just change the drums to disc or have to change the whole suspension set up?

By the way, my car is a humble ae111. Thought of changing to the AE111 GT rear disc.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well if the disc set comes along plug n play to your rear arm...then it shud be easy to DIY...

what makes some rear disc conversion dificult was to fabricate caliper bracket....

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Oh I heard it is plug and play. So let's say if it is plug and play, what are the steps?

1. Disconnect the drum nuts
2. DC the hand brake cable
3. DC the ABS sensor
4. DC the hydraulic cable
5. Then just fix in the discs and plug back all the cables in?

any steps missed out? How to dc the hydraulic cable without spilling the fluid?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
final step would be bleeding the unwanted air from the brake hydraulic line.....

this one u might need some help to pump the brake.....

p/s:the brake fluid would spilled a bit...but don't worry..topup accordingly during air bleeding step....

Autopiazza

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Selangor
orgazmopiazza.com
Anybody ever done the project above?

I need advise from anyone who know or ever done before. Can if be done with normal tools like wrenches, plyers, screwdrivers without workshop tools?

What are the things I need to get? Before this, I thought it is the disc brakes set only. Then the workshop guy told me about knuckle. What is this knuckle thing? And can we just change the drums to disc or have to change the whole suspension set up?

By the way, my car is a humble ae111. Thought of changing to the AE111 GT rear disc.
Tumpang lalu your thread bro . . .
Wanna ask same question to sifus, what is knuckle?

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
I have done this DIY without any special tools or air guns,but you need a good leverage to untighten the tight knuckle bolts and nut.The knuckle is interchangeable between the drum and disc.The hard part is the handbrake cable... other than that,should be no problem..lot of the part is interchangeable so you can compare it after you dismantled the drum.

Last edited:

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
you need to change the whole knuckle with disc because your brake caliper won't have places to bolt on to.

as like bro "cuscostrutbrace said. the arm link was shareable between drum type and disc type brake system as for AE101-110-111 models~ it shouldn't be a problem changing them. The only concern later was the master cylinder was a bit diff between the two. it's 17-11 for the drum and 17-13 for the disc if i wasn't mistaken. Disc type piston need more brake fluid to function. ^^ should take note about it.

just my two cents (V) ~ ^^

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Whoa! Thank you for all the expert opinions... On second thought? Better send to workshop....

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

But seriously... Can anyone explain what is knuckle?

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006

for your reference. If it's understandable~ ^^

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah

for your reference. If it's understandable~ ^^
Whoa! Thank you thank you! That is clear and I understand now. Okay... That is for the front. But if I were to do a rear drum brake to disc brake conversion, is there still a knuckle? Because no steering ma... So still got this knuckle problem or not? Or just plug and play the disc?

Thank you...

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
there's still a knuckle. Just the way it links is different. The front strut needed to steer so it's sits on a ball joint on a lower arm so it count turn when your steer. As the rear didn't need to work so. It is linked to the chassis by (normally) 3 bars in AE111's case. One torsion bar and two link bar. You just need to unscrew these 3 bolts from the drum's knuckle, then you will see the disc knuckle should also had the same 3 'hole' to screw on the 3 bolts~ as the handbrake cable and hydraulic hose, you should know how to did the job ;)
happy fixing~

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
there's still a knuckle. Just the way it links is different. The front strut needed to steer so it's sits on a ball joint on a lower arm so it count turn when your steer. As the rear didn't need to work so. It is linked to the chassis by (normally) 3 bars in AE111's case. One torsion bar and two link bar. You just need to unscrew these 3 bolts from the drum's knuckle, then you will see the disc knuckle should also had the same 3 'hole' to screw on the 3 bolts~ as the handbrake cable and hydraulic hose, you should know how to did the job ;)
happy fixing~
Yeah the AE111's rear suspension is a 3 link. Wah sifu you expert in AE ah? You play AE too? Well if it is so simple like what you say, then I guess can DIY. Last question, so means that the rear knuckle can use back right? I just get the disc and caliper set.

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah the AE111's rear suspension is a 3 link. Wah sifu you expert in AE ah? You play AE too? Well if it is so simple like what you say, then I guess can DIY. Last question, so means that the rear knuckle can use back right? I just get the disc and caliper set.
not really expert la ^^ just having fun working on my AE92 for 5 years already, lol~ the original drum's knuckle would fit the links, but if i'm not mistaken the wheel's bearing won't fit. So you still need to get the whole knuckle~ for my concern, taking up the whole knuckle won't cost you much extra bucks~ hahaha~ to save the trouble, take the whole package.

P.S. handbrake cable is diff, take it as well~

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
not really expert la ^^ just having fun working on my AE92 for 5 years already, lol~ the original drum's knuckle would fit the links, but if i'm not mistaken the wheel's bearing won't fit. So you still need to get the whole knuckle~ for my concern, taking up the whole knuckle won't cost you much extra bucks~ hahaha~ to save the trouble, take the whole package.

P.S. handbrake cable is diff, take it as well~
Thank you for your advice :burnout:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear forumers,

Just something I want to ask here. Most cars comes with s flow exhaust stock. Most people who want to upgrade will change to a straight flow.

But there are aftermarket mufflers that are S-flow as well made by performance brands such as FGK S flow 2.3", Tanabe G power S flow, TRD S flow and so on... I want to ask is there any difference if we change to these aftermarket s flow muffler or is it just for style only? Because it is still s flow and not free flowing.

Anyone...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience