Introducing: Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyre by Goodyear - The driving enthusiasts' tyre?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Here's a new tyre that will give even the best tyres on the market a run for their money. According to Goodyear, it is developed to match the grip, handling and comfort of current ultra high performance tyres, while competing with the mid-segment market in price, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5 incorporates SportGrip Technology, made with a combination of a solid center line rib and continuous shoulder rib with special polymers and race inspired compound promising precise handling and outstanding grip on various surfaces.

As you can see from the picture above, the EF1D5 tyre being mounted on the MINI which was done today, so check back for my take on Goodyear's new rubber that's designed to be car enthusiast-friendly in performance, price and physique. At the moment though:

• It's pretty
  • Got chunky thread pattern
  • Has iconic F1 V-thread
  • Retro sidewall branding
  • Quiet
  • Soft

Until I get a good drive with the new rubbers, we'll continue with details about the tyre. Goodyear says, the Directional 5 tyre is made for demanding driving enthusiasts who demand the best for their tuned performance cars. The directional design provides dynamic look to the tyre while complimenting the appearance of the aftermarket wheel. Directional tread design also provide maximized water dispersion for optimum performance on wet roads.

Their internal performance tests showed the Eagle F1 Directional 5 outperforms its multi-awarded predecessor in handling and braking on wet and dry surfaces, with a marked improvement in wet braking performance.

The new Directional 5 tyre is also said to feature smoother and quieter ride with its closed shoulder design to reduce noise emissions, even when compared to it's F1 GSD3 predecessor. It's optimized cavity shape also provide a squarer footprint, distributing pressure evenly resulting in a more even tyre wear.

Tyre Sizes

<table id="spec_breakdown" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="480"><tbody><tr><th class="" valign="top">SERIES </th><th class="" valign="top">SIZE </th><th class="speed_index" valign="top">SPEED INDEX </th></tr><tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">40</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">215/40R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">45</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">205/45R16</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">45</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">205/45R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">45</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">215/45R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">45</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">215/45R18</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">45</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">225/45R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">45</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">245/45R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">Y</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">45</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">245/45R18</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">50</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">195/50R15</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">50</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">205/50R16</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">50</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">215/50R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">50</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">225/50R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">55</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">195/55R15</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">55</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">205/55R16</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_odd" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">55</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">225/55R16</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td> </tr> <tr class="row_even" style="font-size: 10px;text-align:center;line-height:10px;"> <td class="bod10" valign="top">55</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">225/55R17</td> <td class="bod10" valign="top">W</td></tr></tbody></table>

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What is “SportGrip Technology” and its benefits?

A combination of rigid rib centerline & shoulder with high weight polymers race type compound

Provides maximum rigidity to the tread design, reducing the deformation under heavy loading during rapid steering movement and heavy cornering

Resulting in improved steering response and cornering power providing a precise handling behavior in challenging situations and outstanding grip performance on all types of surfaces and conditions

Is the EF1 Directional 5 a quiet tire?

The EF1 Directional 5 has been designed to give a quieter ride over its entire tread life. Providing not only world class enjoyment, but also reaching best in class worn tire noise levels in the Ultra High Performance segment.

The EF1 Directional 5 provides vastly improved worn noise performance over its predecessor (EF1 GS-D3).

The EF1 Directional 5 and new EF1 Asymmetric 2 tires are both UHP segment products. What is the positioning for these two products?

The EF1 Asymmetric 2 has been engineered to deliver the highest levels of operating performance for the worlds most sophisticated sports luxury vehicles and their drivers. It is the ultimate performance tire.

The EF1 Directional 5 has been designed to match the styling and performance requirements of customers that seek a tire where style matches performance to enhance the look and feel of their vehicle.

How can the EF1 Directional 5 improve my vehicle looks and performance?

The size range that has been developed for a vast range with rim sizes going from 15” to 20” suited for Asia Pacific car fitments.

How does EF1 Directional 5 compare to the competition?

The EF1 Directional 5 provides superior performance to competition in the critical wet braking exercise (average of 3 surfaces) ensuring leadership position in safety.

The EF1 Directional 5 has also shown to be equal to superior treadwear performance against its competitors, ensuring that style and performance was not obtained at the cost of mileage which in the mid UHP segment remains a key selling parameter.

How does the EF1 Directional 5 compare to the GS-D3?

The EF1 Directional 5 has a tread design that has evolved and matured from the iconic V-Tred design of the EF1 GS-D3 for increased performance levels while maintaining it original style and looks.

The EF1 Directional 5 has improved the envelope of performance of its award winning predecessor in key performance areas such as wet braking and also mileage – a key parameter for the mid UHP.

The EF1 Directional 5’s V shape tread design evolution has allowed dramatic improvement in worn noise performance over the EF1 GS-D3, reaching unprecedented levels in the UHP segment.

In terms of pricing, EF1 Directional 5 will be is positioned at a premium to the EF1 GS-D3, while being below EF1 Asymmetric 2 to reflect the mid segment UHP positioning.

How can we differentiate target users for EF1 Directional 5 and EF1 Asymmetric 2?

The EF1 Directional 5 is an outstanding performer in its own right and will suit the more moderately priced performance vehicles. This will be in segments where consumers want the confidence of a proven performance tyre at a more affordable price. The Tuner market will have a high attraction to the EF1 Directional 5 where performance enthusiasts will be attracted to its performance and stylish looks.

Where is the EF1 Directional 5 produced?

The EF1 Directional 5 is manufactured within the Asia Pacific region in Thailand and China plants with advanced production equipment ensuring high performance standards and quality.

More details or to get a quote: http://www.goodyear.com.my/tyre_details.asp?tyre_code=Eaglef1D5

Attachments

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Re: Introducing: Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyre by Goodyear - The driving enthusiasts' t

very good write up TOM :top:
nice job :adore:

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Re: Introducing: Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyre by Goodyear - The driving enthusiasts' t

How about the price?
mmmm... don't have the 245/40/R17...:hmmmm:

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia

kumar22mostwanted,

I prefer directional type...

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh

anyone can pm me the price for 195/50R15 ?

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!

kumar22mostwanted,

I prefer directional type...
yeah the 245/45/17 also directional 5
for directional 5 they only made one tire with 40 profile which is 215/40/17
asymmetric 2 on the other hand has the exact size that you want

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007

the threads getting boring nowadays Tom.

maybe it just me.

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia

Tom,
Your ride using RCS suspension ka?

kumar22mostwanted,
My rim is 8.5jj/R17... not much choice for directional type.
At the moment using Federal Supersteel... hard to source at my place.
looking an option for Goodyear...
or else need to import from Klang la... (as routine)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

tom...what about this tyre price category??? is it on similiar level as UHP tyre or its value for money than normal comfort/street tyre???

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!

tom...what about this tyre price category??? is it on similiar level as UHP tyre or its value for money than normal comfort/street tyre???
From what I saw here Tyre Price List 3 - Autoworld Forum
215/45/17
Goodyear F1 Asy 2 - RM 480 Quicksave (Sep 11)
Goodyear F1 Directional 5 - RM436.00 Quicksave USJ (Sep'11)
it is very close to the price of goodyears asymmetric 2 tire which is its leading performance tire so you can expect this tire to be in the mid level UHP category but nevertheless a UHP tire

undergh

Jan 14, 2008

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I've just replaced this tyre after using it for 3 days. I find the noise to be quite loud. Prior to that, I was using Yokohama C-drive 2 before upgrading my rims to 17" and shod it with the E1D5. Ironically, I only noticed the promotion/advertisement on this tyre being new et. al after swapping it for a Nexen N8000.

Could the 'quieter' description on the E1D5 be ascribed in relation to its predecessor? I also noticed that the tyre was quite harsh but this could be subjective and is maybe a norm in performance tyres. Anyway, I just thought I should share this info.

Last edited:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

very good write up TOM :top:
nice job :adore:
hi kumar, they are basically details as provided by Goodyear, do wait for my first impression :)

anyone can pm me the price for 195/50R15 ?
try the price quote feature here: Eagle F1 Directional 5 - Tyres - Goodyear Malaysia

the threads getting boring nowadays Tom.

maybe it just me.
admittedly, their thread pattern aren't as aggressive as their Japanese competitors but it's still a fresh change from their current models, especially the previous F1 Asymmetric which is somehow conventional looking.

Tom,
Your ride using RCS suspension ka?
yeah, the MINI is now running on RCS as well

as kumar22 posted

215/45/17
Goodyear F1 Asy 2 - RM 480 Quicksave (Sep 11)
Goodyear F1 Directional 5 - RM436.00 Quicksave USJ (Sep'11)
looks like it's that very far off from Goodyear's top of the range Asymmetric 2 tyre, which received rave reviews

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I've just replaced this tyre after using it for 3 days. I find the noise to be quite loud. Prior to that, I was using Yokohama C-drive 2 before upgrading my rims to 17" and shod it with the E1D5. Ironically, I only noticed the promotion/advertisement on this tyre being new et. al after swapping it for a Nexen N8000.

Could the 'quieter' description on the E1D5 be ascribed in relation to its predecessor? I also noticed that the tyre was quite harsh but this could be subjective and is maybe a norm in performance tyres. Anyway, I just thought I should share this info.
I can't say for sure the EF1D5 is a quiet tyre, but it is a significant improvement from the EF1 Asymmetric that was on the car before this. i'd say yes, it is quieter in relation to its predecessor.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005

my fave eagle type has been yet upgraded, i like!!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all sifu's, pls advice. Can the aircond system in a 4g93T be used in the 4g93P engine? Are the piping the same? HOw about the electronics to control the aircond? Can all the control on the current proton dashboard compatible with the aircond socket from the 4g93T?

Pls feedback. Thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience