Interior lighting is getting dimmer even without turn on the headlight

swgiant

May 11, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Interior lighting is dim even without turn on the headlight

2 months ago, this issue only happened when i turn on the headlight at night. The lighting of clock, air-cond panel, front meter dashboard is very dim, can say only 50% of lighting output.
Sometimes even worse, very hard to see the clock wording at night and only 25% of lighting output. However after few minutes of driving, the lighting output is getting better again and at least can back to 50%.
I felt shock to see that, only the radio panel lighting is normal and the air-cond still can blast to the max!

I dont think the Interior lights dim when the headlamps are turned on to reduce glare at night, because since last week, the problem is getting worse! Now, the lighting dim all the time even without turn on the headlight, only 50% of the lighting output! When driving at night and turn on the head light, the interior lighting is only left 25% constantly. The radio lighting and aircond still can blast to the max, very weird!
So, what is the problem likely to be?

I am driving 23 years old car, so no dimmer switch built-in at that time.

Last edited:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Yeah, voltage stabilizer would help you little. I was using one before but for some reason it spoiled. So, I can see the difference without it. Would like to know if anyone here can recommend a good piece of voltage stabilizer? I was using Pivot Raizin previously. It was good but I feel like trying something different.

Many thanks in advance.

swgiant

May 11, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
what is the root cause of this problem ? Any way to get this problem fixed without install any voltage stabilizer?

kazukimy

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2006
KL/Pahang
devil-home.blogspot.com
DDV - u can try hot inazma, or pivot mega raizin

swgiant - well im not sure whether it is because of unstable voltage, cause old car (i personally driving a 23 years old car as well) compare to new car on the market right nw, we tend of have unstable voltage due to the deteriorating of wire or what not or didnt have grounding wire.
perhaps u could check your battery voltage and alternator.

swgiant

May 11, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
how about rewiring the car?
Then kazukimy, do you install VS and GK, any improvement?
I know mostly of hks purple color of GK is chapalang one, then can it last long?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
What car are you driving? The lights gone dim because of insufficient current flowing through the loop. Re-wiring is unnecessary I believe. Identify your grounding points and clean the metal surface and also the terminal surface contacts. You may need to lightly sand the surface.

Installing grounding wire is recommended. A voltage stabilizer is also good but solve the grounding first. A grounding kit + installation would cost only around RM30-50, depending on which type or brand. Some even fetches up above RM300. Get a normal one will do. I DIY mine and it only cost me Rm10. If problem persist after installing grounding (correct installation of course), check the battery. If battery is new but doesn't recharge then its your alternator.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
if it were me i'll try the grounding first, do the engine grounding & add 1 @ 2 ground wire from under the dashboard direct to batt, if it doesn't work, spend sometime check voltage output from each point of lights that is dim, might need the whole day if u never do minor diy for ur car dash, it'll be bonus to u'r knowledge if u'd do it. we are r beginners 1 way @ another rite:biggrin:

swgiant

May 11, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
cvkit17, can i say that my battery and alternator is less likely a problem because under this symptoms i still managed to drive for a few months and full blast the aircond without the problem, the car still very powerful and smooth start each morning!
Due to my current on hand project is due within this month therefore have no time to send it to workshop (even MC), does it still safe to drive for the moment?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
cvkit17, can i say that my battery and alternator is less likely a problem because under this symptoms i still managed to drive for a few months and full blast the aircond without the problem, the car still very powerful and smooth start each morning!
Due to my current on hand project is due within this month therefore have no time to send it to workshop (even MC), does it still safe to drive for the moment?
Alternator problems are very mysterious. One day it can be working perfectly fine next day it'll suck like hell. I would know! And your car is pretty old, have you ever changed the alternator? Anyway, it's most likely the stock grounding is no longer efficient or working properly. Suggest you get a grounding kit done for your car, if you want to DIY buy some 6 gauge or 4 gauge power cables from Jln Pasar, buy the connector head and learn to solder. It's a pretty simple job to do grounding. Alternatively just drop your car off at a trusted accessory shop and have them do it for you. Usually a GK will cost about RM180 thereabouts. If you buy those Pivots or HKS or whatever aftermarket wiring, it might not have the right length for your car.

Alternator checking is pretty difficult without a good multimeter and even if you did have one, it might fool you like mine did me. Generally if your alternator is older than 7 years, it's time to change la.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

PPL,

I have a 6 year old aeroback in relatively good condition except for the rust on the car roof. The rust is 'bubbling' out from the underside. Any sifu know how to 'kow tim' this problem. Can I remove the entire roof and get a new one?!?!?!?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience