imitation rims - are they really not reliable at all?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Haha. but it simply means like the imitation rims.

just because the few that are strong, think all is strong.

Not all imitation wheels are rubbish, but most are.

Not all japanese shit is good, but most are.

But for me, its just due to wheel design, some wheel designs are just strong even if imitated.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Haha. but it simply means like the imitation rims.

just because the few that are strong, think all is strong.

Not all imitation wheels are rubbish, but most are.

Not all japanese shit is good, but most are.

But for me, its just due to wheel design, some wheel designs are just strong even if imitated.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
Yep.

So when TS asked about imitation wheels for track or autocross use - I say why not.

Track or autocross on super-smooth tarmac surface? Better than pot-hole ridden roads during normal use.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Yep.

So when TS asked about imitation wheels for track or autocross use - I say why not.

Track or autocross on super-smooth tarmac surface? Better than pot-hole ridden roads during normal use.
actually if track or autocross with street tires its pretty much ok...

but once u put on semi slicks or full slicks on them... better keep an eye out on the spokes themselves. these tires will provide huge amounts of grip that in corners will also put huge amounts of stress on the wheels... even ori wheels can break at the spokes due to this... like the Type C video i posted earlier in the thread... 949Racing wheels also had an issue with the spokes breaking when combines with super stick rubbers

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur

but once u put on semi slicks or full slicks on them... better keep an eye out on the spokes themselves. these tires will provide huge amounts of grip that in corners will also put huge amounts of stress on the wheels... even ori wheels can break at the spokes due to this... like the Type C video i posted earlier in the thread... 949Racing wheels also had an issue with the spokes breaking when combines with super stick rubbers
I don't know if I'm imagining things... but when I put Toyo R888 rubber of a similar size with a T1R, the R888 feels markedly heavier.

Can somebody confirm this.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I don't know if I'm imagining things... but when I put Toyo R888 rubber of a similar size with a T1R, the R888 feels markedly heavier.

Steering feel? Maybe R888 better grip so steering feedback is better.
If you mean total weight, can be also as not all tyres made the same size for size.
My GY Asy2 is lighter then my older GY Asy, both same size of 215/45R17....

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Steering feel? Maybe R888 better grip so steering feedback is better.
If you mean total weight, can be also as not all tyres made the same size for size.
My GY Asy2 is lighter then my older GY Asy, both same size of 215/45R17....
Yep, steering feel. Feels heavier when steering.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006

the steering feel already answered,

but its actually supposed to be slightly heavier due to the thicker sidewalls AFAIK.

Was semi slicks ever lighter than regular tires?

I never weigh, but does anyone know for sure?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

yup, what he said. but most of us not running high grip tires

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the steering feel already answered,

but its actually supposed to be slightly heavier due to the thicker sidewalls AFAIK.

Was semi slicks ever lighter than regular tires?

I never weigh, but does anyone know for sure?
Have to weigh them to find out....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Hey DeaconF : I can't comment about the R888 but I'll give the example of the AD07 on my Myvi. Shifting from GY Duraplus to AD07 was the biggest mistake of my Myvi life. Car took more effort to move and FC was badly affected. Almost 100km less than what I normally get. And this isn't even a semi-slick though some competitions say so otherwise.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hey DeaconF : I can't comment about the R888 but I'll give the example of the AD07 on my Myvi. Shifting from GY Duraplus to AD07 was the biggest mistake of my Myvi life. Car took more effort to move and FC was badly affected. Almost 100km less than what I normally get. And this isn't even a semi-slick though some competitions say so otherwise.
Huah! That is many steps jump. GY Duraplus is like below entry level.....and AD-07 is extreme between Max and semi slick....:driver:
But 1 tank loose 100km, that is really high....:banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Huah! That is many steps jump. GY Duraplus is like below entry level.....and AD-07 is extreme between Max and semi slick....:driver:
But 1 tank loose 100km, that is really high....:banghead:
Have you ever seen a completely bone stock Myvi corner as fast as a Wira going all out? Dammmmnn AD07s are incredible. Sommore it was 185/60/14, that kinda high profile and incredibly sticky. Lasted for slightly below a year before I could actually see the braiding inside. It was still grippy even at that stage but it is one helluva noisy tyre. Unbearably noisy.

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Logically we would think more traction = more friction = more FC.

I've not measured FC though since a variance of 20-30km is negligible for me. But minus 100km is already abysmal.

I've used AD07 before. Accident during rain - and that's on at least 80% thread. So I can't afford to put my trust on AD07 if the car will be driven by my wife sometimes. T1R so far so good for street and occasional track duty.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Have you ever seen a completely bone stock Myvi corner as fast as a Wira going all out? Dammmmnn AD07s are incredible. Sommore it was 185/60/14, that kinda high profile and incredibly sticky. Lasted for slightly below a year before I could actually see the braiding inside. It was still grippy even at that stage but it is one helluva noisy tyre. Unbearably noisy.
R888s with less than 50% thread also can cause quite a racket.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Logically we would think more traction = more friction = more FC.

I've not measured FC though since a variance of 20-30km is negligible for me. But minus 100km is already abysmal.

I've used AD07 before. Accident during rain - and that's on at least 80% thread. So I can't afford to put my trust on AD07 if the car will be driven by my wife sometimes. T1R so far so good for street and occasional track duty.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

R888s with less than 50% thread also can cause quite a racket.
That is why go for UHP or Max performance only for daily use. Good for both wet and dry. Extreme tyres very good for dry, but could be risky in wet especially those not familiar with them...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys ! it's urgent here.. My uncle wants to convert his perdana to VRG face .
Is this legal or what ? I know we can convert it but he's worrying about JPJ summons .
can anyone help me out :confused: thanks..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience