imitation rims - are they really not reliable at all?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Speaking of Enkei, there are tonnes of replica out there these days.

On the bright side, replica's make more affordable for those who wants the only the looks. Who wouldnt want his car to look nice (and better still performs as well as its looks?)

I knew a (rich) girl who ordered a set of hello kitty rims (ori ones) becoz solely for the looks, not for performance. The rims ordered aint cheap to start off with...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Also agree! That's why I bought used forged rims for my car and still very happy with it. Would never consider changing unless can find another set of used one at least as cheap and light too!
My F1-D5 cost a few hundred more than my rims when I bought them together.
That is why I always tell them if really on budget get reasonable 2nd hand rims and good tyres, but many go for expensive bling bling and cheap cheap tyres....:banghead:

My VR and Hyundai rims are both 2nd hand ones....:driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
That is why I always tell them if really on budget get reasonable 2nd hand rims and good tyres, but many go for expensive bling bling and cheap cheap tyres....:banghead:

Because the rims are so visually obvious while the tires are just that round black thing to them! :banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

my satria replica/imitation new wheels..

my other ride original used wheels..

both diff size..but close in price...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-------------------------------

both i put reasonable-ly cheap tyre...but not the worse or the best in performance...i simply call it balanced between price-performance factor...

call me cheapskates...using imitation wheel...but i also use original wheel...so call me cheap-perfectionist?

call me dangering myself using cheap tyre...but that very cheap tyre performed so well that other friend used it in gymkhana competition and scored fastest time of the day...(with not the fastest car among the competitor)... :biggrin: :driver: so?? cheap-yet cheerfully fast?

not all cheap things are bad....

and not all bad things comes cheap...

just be sensible when selecting things....use common sense..fully understand of what we pay for, what we are going to do with it before putting the decision of parting away from our money....

if talking about risk....i might be better drive a tank instead of riding motorcycle most of the time....simply because i like the idea of saving travelling time instead of safety and comfort when driving....

on the other note...i didnt use ridiculously low profile tyre or extreme camber hell-flush or even race car flush-low ride height.....for the sake of keeping my rims in good shape (both replica/imitation and original)....

just use a little bit of sensible thinking and good working brain to take all factor in consideration....but maybe my level of safety factor a bit different than other people....

so thats why some people says it isnt safe...but i'm telling it maybe safe....or some other time i'm telling it was perfectly safe....or i do agree that it truly wasnt safe....

confused already?? :confused:

:rofl: :rofl:

but i do respect other people opinion...note for others...dont use me as role model..plsss :adore:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Speaking of Enkei, there are tonnes of replica out there these days.

On the bright side, replica's make more affordable for those who wants the only the looks. Who wouldnt want his car to look nice (and better still performs as well as its looks?)

I knew a (rich) girl who ordered a set of hello kitty rims (ori ones) becoz solely for the looks, not for performance. The rims ordered aint cheap to start off with...
I cant find the bear bear rims :rofl:

Ya, Thursday will go have a look. I just go and look and let god decide the rest :rofl:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
For me, imitation rims are ok, so long they are used normally on public road, within the speed limit. Imitation gives the looks, and I would say the rims are sufficient doing their job. I don't think imitation rims would crumble or suddenly cracked by itself.

For those who pushes the car beyond normal driving, like tracking, gymkhana, seriously aggressive driving, etc then it is best to use new ori rims....or used ori rims, at least.

Sometimes, using 2nd hand ori rims might be risky too......as the rims could have been repaired before, or starting to develop metal fatigue after cyclic uses of the rims.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
my satria replica/imitation new wheels..

my other ride original used wheels..

both diff size..but close in price...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-------------------------------

both i put reasonable-ly cheap tyre...but not the worse or the best in performance...i simply call it balanced between price-performance factor...

call me cheapskates...using imitation wheel...but i also use original wheel...so call me cheap-perfectionist?

call me dangering myself using cheap tyre...but that very cheap tyre performed so well that other friend used it in gymkhana competition and scored fastest time of the day...(with not the fastest car among the competitor)... :biggrin: :driver: so?? cheap-yet cheerfully fast?

not all cheap things are bad....

and not all bad things comes cheap...

just be sensible when selecting things....use common sense..fully understand of what we pay for, what we are going to do with it before putting the decision of parting away from our money....

if talking about risk....i might be better drive a tank instead of riding motorcycle most of the time....simply because i like the idea of saving travelling time instead of safety and comfort when driving....

on the other note...i didnt use ridiculously low profile tyre or extreme camber hell-flush or even race car flush-low ride height.....for the sake of keeping my rims in good shape (both replica/imitation and original)....

just use a little bit of sensible thinking and good working brain to take all factor in consideration....but maybe my level of safety factor a bit different than other people....

so thats why some people says it isnt safe...but i'm telling it maybe safe....or some other time i'm telling it was perfectly safe....or i do agree that it truly wasnt safe....

confused already?? :confused:

:rofl: :rofl:

but i do respect other people opinion...note for others...dont use me as role model..plsss :adore:
Right, not all cheap are bad, as long as used within it's limits. However you are rally and racing champ and know how to use them to it's limits and advantage.

I am just referring to everyday normal drivers so they need better tyres....:driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Right, not all cheap are bad, as long as used within it's limits. However you are rally and racing champ and know how to use them to it's limits and advantage.

I am just referring to everyday normal drivers so they need better tyres....:driver:
Yes agree, there's nothing to loose with choosing a good set of tires so buy the best you can afford. Especially those with more limited budget like me (and also just another ordinary, non racing driver), better focus the expenditure more on the tires than the rims BUT I'd rather avoid imitation/copy rims and just buy either high end original but used, or cheaper original but decent quality ones.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yep....for most normal people which prefer added security/safety level should opt the best safest tyre within the budget....

heck even if i was given better budget i will opt the best tyre available...but thats not gonna happen soon unless i strike jackpot :rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yep....for most normal people which prefer added security/safety level should opt the best safest tyre within the budget....

heck even if i was given better budget i will opt the best tyre available...but thats not gonna happen soon unless i strike jackpot :rofl:
Tyres only, no need jackpot. Some high enough prize also enough, unlike bro. Izso want to buy neighbor's house then need jackpot.....hhahahahhahahha:rofl:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Tyres only, no need jackpot. Some high enough prize also enough, unlike bro. Izso want to buy neighbor's house then need jackpot.....hhahahahhahahha:rofl:
use best tyre..then need more fuel to drive out more...

then found out not enough power...rebuild engine...after that brake not enough..upgrade brembo... :rofl:

sure need jackpot wooo...especially when got too many car to play with... :biggrin:

*but lucky atleast the suspension department already bump-ed up to almost highest upgrade available... :driver:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
use best tyre..then need more fuel to drive out more...

then found out not enough power...rebuild engine...after that brake not enough..upgrade brembo... :rofl:

sure need jackpot wooo...especially when got too many car to play with... :biggrin:

*but lucky atleast the suspension department already bump-ed up to almost highest upgrade available... :driver:
hahaha...you have many add on......:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yesterday, UMW Toyota Motor showcased their line-up of hybrid vehicles in Malaysia. The Prius, now in its 3rd generation, continues to lead Toyota’s hybrid revolution. Packaged together in a luxurious and sophisticated interior and exterior, the Prius continues to impress with class leading fuel efficiency and low emissions.

Star of the show was of course...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience