HWL Absorbers A32 - Review

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Hey guys I was looking for a review on HWL (Red) shock absorbers (standard replacement - non coil over) and could not find any. Went to have a look at a set and stroked the shocked to get a feel of the compression and rebound damping levels and seems to be quite ok. So I decided to order a full set for front and rear. Total set cost RM880 with installation. Which is only slightly more than a Paraut replacement. The shock was also fully serviceable. Called up Top Perfect (maker of the shock) and they said service for the front would be around RM160-180, rear about RM120-135 per piece. Which comes close to a set of new shocks. But for people on a tight budget even saving RM200 is a lot. Warranty as usual 6 months 10,000km.

Car Specs.
Springs: Standard
Tyres: Standard 205/65/R15 Conti CC5
Absorbers: HWL (Red) direct OE replacement

Went to test the car and first impressions was that the car felt firmer and rebound control was good. I find that most aftermarket shocks when they increase the compression damping they fail to increase enough rebound damping which starts to make the car “yo-yo” on the highway in undulating surfaces.

I would recommend this shock if you are looking for a replacement shock for your stock suspension system. I would not use this shock with aftermarket springs and larger wheels as it would feel too firm and harsh as they have increased the compression damping on the shock to help the stock springs. So with aftermarket sport springs I personally think that it will be too hard and harsh not to mention if you have 17” or 18” wheels. I always preferred to use aftermarket springs with stock shocks as it gives better compliance. But some like it very firm. Kind of a personal choice, no right, no wrong.

They whole system with stock wheels and springs gives enough compliance to be comfortable for everyday driving and enough control for slight spirited driving when needed.

All in all pretty good performance shock from a local company at a reasonable price. Only question now is how reliable will the shock be. I think it should do ok since the car will be mainly driven around town by my wife to do errands and pick children.

The shock also comes with its own integrated bump stop and shock cover, so you don’t need to buy it as a separate item as you would normally with standard shocks. It’s a direct replacement so don’t need to buy anything extra, cut or modify like some coil over system, unless you have some worn OE parts which need replacing.

Will take some pics and post later.

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Are the hwl shocks shorter in length or the same size?

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Any coilover sus made by hwl ? Planned to go a little extreme, hehehe..

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Got. I know they have coilovers for A32. I would also suggest you find out the price difference between the normal coilovers and the "body shift version". If can better get the body shift as you can adjust the height of the car without affecting the spring rate or settings. People normally adjust the spring preload to adjust the height of the car which is not right. With the "body shift" you adjust the ride height that you want first, then you get your spring rates and preload right.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Need help sifu sifu, is been quite some time that there is rattle sound at the rear of my car, the rattle sound is on and off, but this few weeks, it didnt go off at all, which pretty irritates me when driving.

Any solutions that can help bro???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience