[how to] replace radiator fan motor bearing lancer evolution iv

cikaro71

Known Member
Aug 13, 2008
INTRODUCTION:
My radiator fan started to give abnormal sound and by visual I saw that my fan seem 'heavy' to turn. To prevent it become worst, I searching for a motor at spare part shop but unfortunately I've been told it is not in the market anymore (really?). So, no other choice I search it at used parts (kedai potong). Luckily found it but not the exactly model and need to modify the electrical wire to suit with the original socket. It cost me RM212.00 (including G.S.T).

THE STORY:
After everything settle down, I looking at the original motor and thinking to open and look inside it. So, the story begin:

1. The Motor:

2. Twist this part little bit.

3. After twist here and there and slowly tap it with hammer, there we go:

4. Looking at the carbon brush still thick and the commutator still in good condition, next step - pull out the armature from the housing (It is felt 'heavy' to pull because of the magnet inside the housing):

5. After components dismantle and please take more precaution to the washer and the carbon brush spring:

6. The bearing seem not turning smooth and felt heavy to turn. I suspect this is the reason of the symptom of abnormal sound and fan heavy to turn.

7. Using the bearing puller, pull the bearing out from the shaft:

8. Clean the component (I just use liquid dish wash and brush it with toothbrush). After that, put it under the sun to make it really dry.
Went to buy the bearing and insert it to shaft. Since there is no proper tools, I just use a spanner (8 mm) and slowly tap it with hammer) and add more spanner
until the bearing at original position. (Note: to make it more easier, lube the shaft with WD40).

9. After bearing already at the original position and seem good, put back the armature in the housing (Note: don't forget the washer mentioned in paragraph 5):

10. To couple back the carbon brush parts are tricky because with the spring inserted in the slot, it will stuck with the commutator. So, I use the thread to hold back
the carbon brush and this will make easier to insert the commutator part (Note: don't forget the washer mentioned in paragraph 5):

11. After everything coupled, pull the thread slowly and this will release the carbon brush and make it contact with the commutator.

12. Reverse the step in paragraph 2 to make it really tight:

13. Test the motor by:

Blue - positive battery
Black - negative battery
Result: motor will turn

Blue+Yellow - positive battery
Black - negative battery
Result: motor will turn (normal speed)

Blue+Green - positive battery
Black - negative battery
Result: motor will turn (high speed)

CONCLUSION:
If the result at paragraph 13 as stated, no sound of abnormal and it turn smoothly then this means the repair successfully. For this project, i spending RM50.88 for the bearing puller (I've been told it will cheaper if you send it to engineering shop) and RM9.50 for the bearing. The total are RM60.38. It is lot cheaper compare to buy a second hand corroded motor and need to modify for RM212.00.

So, I hope this write up can give some guide if you are facing the same problem but I won't take responsible if anything goes wrong.

Sorry for terrible English but hope you can understand. Any comment are most welcome.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
you my friend are responsible into forcing me to buy the bearing puller.
your diy post just add one strong reason for me to buy the bearing puller.
i have been avoiding to buy the tool as i dont really need it.now it seems like i can do more thing in the weekend with the puller available.
wanna sell yours?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
This is knowledge and information that money can't buy. Thank you for sharing my good sir!

cikaro71

Known Member
Aug 13, 2008
you my friend are responsible into forcing me to buy the bearing puller.
your diy post just add one strong reason for me to buy the bearing puller.
i have been avoiding to buy the tool as i dont really need it.now it seems like i can do more thing in the weekend with the puller available.
wanna sell yours?
If you just want to use it once a while, I suggest just send to engineering workshop. Some of my friend said it not more than rm20. Some said, sometime they will give the tool and ask you to pull it yourself and it is free. Frankly, I really have no idea. But, if you want to buy it, make sure choose the correct size. And, mine not for sale lah bro. hahaha...

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

now that's what I call a DIY!
Thank you sir.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

This is knowledge and information that money can't buy. Thank you for sharing my good sir!
You are welcome and thank you for reading my thread, sir.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Awesome, and thanks for detailed step by step explanation with pictures some more......:adore:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
good diy...

btw if one wondering where to get such small bearings....

worry not...just go to local house aircond sparepart shop (or electrical shop) they usually have those small bearing in stock...

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

good diy...

worry not...just go to local house aircond sparepart shop (or electrical shop) they usually have those small bearing in stock...

cikaro71

Known Member
Aug 13, 2008
good diy...

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

good diy...

I bought it at SKF Bearing. They have almost all of the bearing type and size: Find a distributor by list

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i driving a wira now and i have finally save enuff money to do some mod all the sifu out there please give me some advise and help....thank q guy
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience