How to properly setup a quiet & bassy exhaust?

zx12

Known Member
May 31, 2007
Hi guys, I need some advice and clarification for exhaust setup for my kancil.

How do I ensure that the exhaust setup will be quite without sacrificing too much on performance? My current exhaust setup is a straight flow 2" from the front (turbo-back) following the original bends under the body. Only 1 muffler at the back. It had a nice and deep bassy sound when idle and cruising plus it wasn't too loud during acceleration.

I recently changed my engine (from 660 4-cylinders to 1.0 3-cylinders) and now the exhaust sound is really loud. Quite frankly it sounds like a lorry and screams like a motorboat during acceleration which really sucks sad.gif

- So how do I get back that deep bassy sound?
- Will a bullet pipe help?
- What's the difference between a normal/swirl bullet?
- Do I need to increase the piping size to maybe 2.3"?
- How does the inlet and outlet size affect the sound? Ex. 2" inlet and 3" outlet makes it louder or softer?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
I take it your changing from 4cyl 660 turbo to a 1liter 3cyl NA correct?

Turbo engine tends to be quieter since the turbo itself is muffling the exhaust note... not so wif NA... furthermore, I noticed that the more cylinder you have, the sweeter the xhaust note will be.... try to differentiate between 3/4/6 and you know what I meant... but then 3cyl offbeat exhaust notes is nicer to my ears...

Maybe you could add a biggest/longest center box but still retains 2"in/out?

..and if you dun mind if I'm asking... why change to NA from a turbo (660cc vs 1000cc notwithstanding) when acceleration is your priority?

How do I ensure that the exhaust setup will be quite without sacrificing too much on performance? My current exhaust setup is a straight flow 2" from the front (turbo-back) following the original bends under the body. Only 1 muffler at the back. It had a nice and deep bassy sound when idle and cruising plus it wasn't too loud during acceleration.

I recently changed my engine (from 660 4-cylinders to 1.0 3-cylinders) and now the exhaust sound is really loud. Quite frankly it sounds like a lorry and screams like a motorboat during acceleration which really sucks sad.gif

- How does the inlet and outlet size affect the sound? Ex. 2" inlet and 3" outlet makes it louder or softer?

zx12

Known Member
May 31, 2007
I take it your changing from 4cyl 660 turbo to a 1liter 3cyl NA correct?

Turbo engine tends to be quieter since the turbo itself is muffling the exhaust note... not so wif NA... furthermore, I noticed that the more cylinder you have, the sweeter the xhaust note will be.... try to differentiate between 3/4/6 and you know what I meant... but then 3cyl offbeat exhaust notes is nicer to my ears...

Maybe you could add a biggest/longest center box but still retains 2"in/out?

..and if you dun mind if I'm asking... why change to NA from a turbo (660cc vs 1000cc notwithstanding) when acceleration is your priority?
Its turbo also bro. Hybrid. Yea I've been told that 3cylinder engines are noisier by nature. But the sound is so loud now. BTW, I'm using Auto Juwell exhaust from halfcut. Seems it was made for the L5 4 piston engine which is why its sounded so nice when I used it with my previous engine.

So the solution is to add a center bullet? Should I increase the piping size? What if I use a different muffler altogether?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Oops! sorry for my bad assumption!...

Maybe you should get a 2.3" muffler but still retains 2" overall diameter piping...

or.. wait for big block sifus to reply though hehe

Its turbo also bro. Hybrid. Yea I've been told that 3cylinder engines are noisier by nature. But the sound is so loud now. BTW, I'm using Auto Juwell exhaust from halfcut. Seems it was made for the L5 4 piston engine which is why its sounded so nice when I used it with my previous engine.

So the solution is to add a center bullet? Should I increase the piping size? What if I use a different muffler altogether?

zx12

Known Member
May 31, 2007
Hmm..I'm thinking of getting a JASMA approved halfcut muffler. What do you think? I heard that these muffler are relatively quieter, therefore its approved by JASMA

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
usually, what's make the said exhaust certified by JASMA is by the whole set, not just a single muffler... I've seen a starlet using a JASMA-certified HKS Dragger it sounded nice and bassy... but when a kancil L2S used the same back muffler, the sound is still damn loud....

come to think of it, JASMA certified exhaust system sometimes have this hollow resonator at the middle (see pic below, the one on the left for ref)... me think that make the sound sweet

p/s: you could try something like this though RSR magic concept 2.3 original muffler with piping - Car Accessories & Parts for sale Kuala Lumpur - Mudah.my heard in a L5 EF kancil... it sound still loud but not unbearable

Hmm..I'm thinking of getting a JASMA approved halfcut muffler. What do you think? I heard that these muffler are relatively quieter, therefore its approved by JASMA

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
fit the biggest body muffler that can fit under the chassis, u can custom a muffler to ur spec and it is a good quality one at reasonable price at supercircuit sunway

i customed mine there and my straight flow sounds like sflow. they use more steel wool than fibreglass so its lasts longer coz it doesnt melt like fibreglass

---------- Post added 09-25-2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 09-24-2011 at 11:38 PM ----------

- the bigger the muffler body, the better it is at muffling high pitch noise so if u get big enough, it will eliminate most high pitch noise and leaves u with deep bass sound
- bullet pipe helps, midbox helps even more
- normal is straight through hollow bullet, swirl has spiral shape inside the bullet. dont use swirl at any cost cause it induces backpressure a lot
- bigger pipe amplify the noise of ur exhaust, smaller pipe is easier to muffle
- 2" to 3" will amplify and widen the noise, think of it like the hailer which has small mic inlet and large flare at the end to widen and amplify the sound wave

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, I guess this has already been discussed in the forum ages ago.
Couldnt seem to find the thread, so I decided to start a new one.

Anyway, here is my question.

I am looking for a reliable bodykit shop which has the following qualities:-
a) Charge reasonable price
b) Excellent workmanship
c) Nice & Friendly staff/workers
d) Located around KL
e) Various material available (ABS, PU, fiber etc)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience