How to know Turbo Exhaust or NA Exhaut??

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Well, just by looking at the exhaust is very hard to tell. Some high power NA like 20V, 4AG, B18C, B16B, they are all using 2 inch + piping size....

You can hear the exhaust note difference between TC or NA but you have to hear a lots of these exhaust sound like taking your english class. You hear the sound everyday then when you gradute that time..you no need to see just by hearing the exhaust sound you will know wether its TC or NA already....hahaha....

Or you can always listen for the infamous BOV sound that couldn't be wrong....wait !!! Ermm.....there are some fake BOV sound also in the market....so also hard to tell....:retarded:

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
does anybody have a diagram/blueprint (internal construction) of a stock muffler and a straight flow and s-flow and semi-flow? maybe can post here...

i think, it would help a lot to all of us...

m@ttz

1,500 RPM
May 7, 2006
klang
if someone expert in wat the ideal size of piping for NA n TC?? let say for 1.6,1.8,2.0,etc la... or maybe some suggestion on exhaust system for both NA n TC.. let we share 2gether...

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
huakenny said:
Straight flow for turbo
S-flow for NA

size of piping for Turbo engine normaly is larger than NA. for turbo, the bigger the better (but not oversized)

to differentiate a car based on ekzos, look at the piping from rear. u will know...n by hearing the sound of ekzos when the car is revving...

my2cent

bro.. if im not mistaken:

straight flow = manual cars .. both turbo & na

S-FLOW = auto cars .. both turbo & na

:shades_smile:

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
The best method to differentiate turbo and NA car (for me la), is to listen to their exhaust sound. I found that Turbo car normally wouldn't have very loud sound and the sound produced is not smooth. May be because of the turbine.

Another method is piping size. Lowered car can't see easily. Non-lowered car can see from rear and the piping vary from 2.5" to 3.5".

Other from exhaust "seeing" method, is to see from their front. there is intercooler there (mostly) hang and hide inside bumper. But for most L2, L5, intercooler is mounted on top of engine. If you see those Kancil or Mira is having a scoop on bornet, mostly (not 100%) they have turbo inside.

The last and the most effective method to check whether they are turbo car, race with them. If they have impressive torque, they are turbo-powered.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
putra4767 said:
I think the thread starter wants to know wether is there a specific exhaust for tuboo & a specific one for NA ....
yeah, truly agree with you. most replies here are misleading...

a turbocharged engine does not necessarily need an intercooler...for example Ford Laser Lynx RS Turbo. or the Volvo 240 GLT Turbo of the 1980s. NO INTERCOOLER!!

and see those stock standard exhaust pipe on OEM turbo cars like

BMW 330d (twin turbo), Vauxhall Astra VXR turbo, VW Golf GTI FSI Turbo, Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo.....they are not using straight piping either.

of course, the extra features and modifications done would have done positive effects for the engine performance. but there are no specific exhaust pattern for either turbo or NA cars.

putra4767

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
piping

zan said:
yeah, truly agree with you. most replies here are misleading...

a turbocharged engine does not necessarily need an intercooler...for example Ford Laser Lynx RS Turbo. or the Volvo 240 GLT Turbo of the 1980s. NO INTERCOOLER!!

and see those stock standard exhaust pipe on OEM turbo cars like

BMW 330d (twin turbo), Vauxhall Astra VXR turbo, VW Golf GTI FSI Turbo, Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo.....they are not using straight piping either.

of course, the extra features and modifications done would have done positive effects for the engine performance. but there are no specific exhaust pattern for either turbo or NA cars.
I think - finally the answer is here...

m@ttz

1,500 RPM
May 7, 2006
klang
mrbear said:
bro.. if im not mistaken:

straight flow = manual cars .. both turbo & na

S-FLOW = auto cars .. both turbo & na

:shades_smile:
i learn dis also from the exhaust tokey...auto can't use straight one, will lose power...

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
first of all, the thread Q already answered by zan.

secondly, just wan to make clear about the s-flow for auto and straight flow for manual...

i dont agree with this. base on friends's experience,
it is not related to auto or manual. it is related to Power of Engine.

if u car is NA low cc (1.8 below for example), then best is s-flow regardless of auto or manual. my fren's car is manual, and he change to straight flow Hotbits, immediately can feel lost in low end torque. i test drive it too, and loss quite significantly in low end torque. so, what he does is compensate in restricting exhaust gas again by installing a bullet with taper piping inside it. then the low end torque resumes.

if your car is high cc and high power (low cc turbo even), then use straight flow.. but if possible maintain the original piping route since we do not want to totally eliminate back pressure. if ur car is 3.0 twin turbo, then by all means, make it as straight piping as possible and straight flow muffler.

my 1.92sen.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

dear members..pls help me..what is the problem for my civic fornt disc brake?the front disc left side have scratch..i already change to another caliper complete with another nice disc..but the problem still same...my mechanic said that was brake masterpump problem..is that true?pls help me....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience