How to fix rusty car roof with cheapest price!Maybe DIY?

Tctf

Known Member
Jul 17, 2008
i have a 'soft 99 rust convert' is new. good for repair rust area.
anyone interest D.I.Y for rust area, and interest with this rust convert can pm me.
thk.

Bump: i have a 'soft 99 rust convert' is new. good for repair rust area.
anyone interest D.I.Y for rust area, and interest with this rust convert can pm me.
thk.

mivec_mivec

Known Member
Oct 21, 2007
sifus..

right now im doing this so called DIY roof paint job.

ive done;
1.sand paper the roof.
2.remove the rust.(outside,until hole was found)
3.remove rust(inside,scrap the glue and spray WD40,will look for hammerite when i come down to ACE in PJ)
4.fill the holes with fibre+hardener.
5.sand paper the fibre to smoothen the surface.

my Q now is,
1.what should i do next?iz it pour the nexa (N/C hard putty)?how to put it?i oredi buy the putty.

please advise.

muskasim

Known Member
Jun 8, 2004
Pee Neng
klsim.tripod.com
I did mine a year ago,

1. Remove rust until see the hole
2. Remove all damn glue.
3. Apply "Hammerite Kurust" on rusty area, wait until it dry then apply again.
4. Send my car to weld the hole area, apply some Kurust on weld area.
5. Paint Kurust area with 'Hammerite Direct To Rust Metal Paint'

Both of this items and be found at ACE Hardware.
Too bad I live in Penang, I got this from EBAY.

Result until now no problem,. :)
normally u will see rust few months later if u let painter shop to repair rust.

blank172

Jun 26, 2011
Penang
I hope this thread is not dead yet.

I have similar problem;

1. Few DEEP blisters rust hole only on front side of the roof
2. Random rust pattern on bonnet (or hood)
3. Hard car paint crack below fuel tank opening (might be paint corrosion because of petrol spill)

After doing some researches, I found out it's common paint problem (blister/rust) for proton car around year 2000 and earlier.

1. Which one is the best option? Replace roof, Replace roof to sunroof, or DIY?
2. I dunno what to do with 2nd problem. Change bonnet(hood)?
3. Should I patch it and paint whole body?

I need sifus recommendation/price estimation for these problems. I'm not sure whether to invest money on this 11-years-old Satria 1.3GLi (M) or save up the money for a new car. hmm maybe some experience people here could share some advice.

risyia

Known Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pandan Indah
Just resprayed the roof of my Putra because of rust, cost me RM450 which also include respraying the rear bumper. I personally 'kopek' all the rust on the roof to bare metal & applied Kurust before giving it to the painter.

But I know the rust will appear again in 1/2 years time, the roof is rusting from the inside out because of the cheap/acidic glue that Proton use to glue the roof panel to the roof frame.

There is a solution - change the roof panel & scrape all the glue when changing the roof panel but this is costly & involve to much work as both front & rear windscreens have to be removed. I know somebody who did it for her Satria - cost - RM2,000/-.

Bro, for the bonnet just buy an el cheapo Taiwan bonnet for less than RM200 & have it repainted for probably another RM250.

blank172

Jun 26, 2011
Penang
Sifu risyia,

Thanks for advice bro. Hmm so bonnet(RM200) + paint(250). I wonder how much is the cost for painting roof alone.

Here are some photos:

I heard paint whole body cost is sometime equal to paint certain part (Eg: bonnet and roof). Is it true? and how long would it take to complete painting? Just want to double confirm.

I found there're few paint shops in Penang:
-LGHC (LHCG Auto Services Sdn Bhd)
-Nanyang
-Kim Sia
-Telinga Hitam -Chong spray?
-Eng Car Spray

Any suggestion for hassle free paint shop?

Attachments

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
Wow,that looks bad.Better have the bonnet and boot replace. Same problem on my roof before,had it sent to a recommended bodyshop.. What he did was to remove all those glue/gam from the underneath side of the roof...Till now,seems ok..been a year already. Some i have seen dont even last 6 months...I cant recommend you the shop coz i am way across the sea.. In Sarawak... Best you can do is ask around for a good boodyshop shop. i believe in you get what you pay for...

Last edited:

thomadyeoh

Jul 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi
approx how much for now in order to clean up those acidic glue and do anti-rust treatment to avoid more rusting happens.
Don't think wanna change the entire roof since it's just some minor bubbling occurs.

Do I need to remove the roof skin to perform the above works ?

Thanks

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
I suggest you change to sunroof. The whole of ur rooftop will be cut out and replaced. No more worries about rust :) Its legal now and don't need JPJ approval. For below RM2.5k, you can get a 2 step sunroof. 2 days the most needed for installation including paint and fabric.

thomadyeoh

Jul 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I suggest you change to sunroof. The whole of ur rooftop will be cut out and replaced. No more worries about rust :) Its legal now and don't need JPJ approval. For below RM2.5k, you can get a 2 step sunroof. 2 days the most needed for installation including paint and fabric.
Provided currently not having that kind of budget plus it's still very minor...
Would like to ask for precaution to avoid it become worse.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion :wavey:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Use Satria GTi complete bodypart on Satria standard.

Bumper + Arch + Spoiler + Back bumper.

Legal wise. can or not?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience