How to fix rusty car roof with cheapest price!Maybe DIY?

ary4145

May 31, 2006
teearts said:
I was really upset when I see my father's Nissan Sentra roofing started got rust,it form a small pimpers shape like before got rust water come out from it....Does anybody know how to get it fix?..Thanks!
i can help u get it fix for 200 (not including repaint..)- using fibre.. somewhere in banting klang can come and see 1st.. if satisfy then ok.. good workshp specialized in convert sunroof.. pm me if u want

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I sense Entrepreneurship here oredi.........anyway, happy repairing and happy doing business

waikiki

500 RPM
Mar 16, 2004
Damansara, PJ
Visit site
hi..

tee ,

so are u gonna DIY this project. perhaps people like me would like to see and get some ideas on how u actually do it ..i mean the practical part instead of the theory and facts that is stated above.

perhaps a get together session... ?

teearts said:
Thanks Ken!You are very kind and helpful!These are all very good information and ideas...I would do it by my self as if the roof getting more worst!Thanks a lot!

Best regards!

tee

waikiki

500 RPM
Mar 16, 2004
Damansara, PJ
Visit site
bumpin in for the day.. any1 tried out the method already ?

hey ary ? its rm200 (depends on condition) or standard pricing ?

teearts

Jun 30, 2006
Good morning!Guys.I will sure let you know when I have ready to fix my Nissan rusting car roof.One of my friend's Wira having the same problem too,he recommended me using WD40,or any lubricant oil which is rust cure and protect.He use the lubricant to spray onto the painted roof surface,then using cloth to polish until it spread even the whole surface.He said this perhaps could be help to stop the rust process,and we both trying it now.In fact the owner before me had sent my Sentra to the workshop before,they grind it and repaint,unfortunately after half a year I brought it over,the pimples shape emboss again clearly on the paint surface.Kenneth Fong,This rusting incident could be happened is because of the manufacturing failure!They using those glu which contain salty ingrediant,to stick the cushion and ceiling stuffs where underneath the roof metal,these glu got too strong chemical reaction until it cause the metal become rust from inside the metal,mean the rust is started from inside but not from outside the roof metal!My neighbour's Wira got such same rusty problem too,one of his friend who once worked for Proton told him about the glu.He said Proton had wrongly brought in a huge volumn of those glu,and the rust will only started make effect after few years time,so they just ignore and finished using these glus.Perhaps new generation of Proton car won't have these problem.However,this is just what he claim,maybe just a rumour,I am not sure and nobody know.This is why I want to try WD40 first,see weather the rusty metal can absorb the oil and stop the rust process,if it is getting worst again...I would do something.Thanks Ary4145!I will keep you in mind.One More Thing,are you guys also driving Nissan Sentra and having these rusty problem?I had email Nissan Japan before,they did reply me and ask Tan Chong Motor in KL to contact me.But Tan Chong called and asking me for the service record and want to take a look for the car,unfortunately these are all not F.O.C.and I think they will just send over to their contract mechanic shop and get it fix,perhaps not cheap too!So I just put it aside first for temporary.What I think is,if all of you having such same problem to your Nissan car,can we form a Nissan Club and complain to Nissan Japan,asking them to make a campaign to fix for all of us with F.O.C.?This is sound humiliate but if the club is strong enough?Anything can be happened in this world,as Nissan have to maintain their good reputation as well!Anyway,just an idea of mine...Here below is an email reply from Nissan Japan Co.(email :[email protected]).......Talk to you guys soon!

Tokyo Log No. SV06A25

June 12, 2006

Dear Mr./Ms. Tee Eng Lim:

Thank you for your email dated June 6, 2006, concerning your Nissan
Sentra. First of all, thank you for your patronage of our products.

We regret to hear that you have experienced a problem with the your
Sentra. In regard to your concern we have contacted Edaran Tan Chong
Motor Sdn. Bhd, which represents Nissan in Malaysia. Edaran Tan Chong
Motor Sdn. Bhd is in the best position to address your concern and
handle this matter. A representative from Edaran Tan Chong Motor Sdn.
Bhd should be contacting you to review your case.

Edaran Tan Chong Motor Sdn. Bhd.
21, Kalan Ipoh Kecil
50350 Kuala Lumpur
P. O. Box 10132
50704 Kuala Lumpur
MALAYSIA
TEL: (603) 4047-8788

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Katsumasa INOUE
Assistant Manager
Customer Affairs Group

cc: Edaran Tan Chong Motor Sdn. Bhd

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
This sounded interesting, knowing that Nissan put in effort to keep their customers happy. Somehow rather, i sense that in reality, things are never ideal. I'm afraid the suggested "campaign" would take a long time before Nissan would consider and to take action abt the rust prob. (BTW, what year is the nissan with rust problem? Has the waranty long expired?)

By the time Nissan really consider a FOC job or partial compensation, this would have probably taken years. Can u bear with such condition on the car?? If the rusty roof left as it is and given the 1 year (assume) waiting time from Nissan, the roof has already bocor and (probably turn into a "convertible"). Not to mention water entry, flooding, spoiling of interior uphostery, incovienience of car use etc......

i don't mean to be discouraging, and I support such action done by Teearts, but I want to remind u that u should prepare for the worst case, or eventualities....

teearts

Jun 30, 2006
Thanks for your prompt reply and concern,Ken!I got think of this 'Times Of Waiting' issue ofcos,and agreed with you too.Just wonder is there any Nissan Sentra or Nissan Club around in KL or PJ??I think my car has no more waranty,it is 1996 Nissan Sentra 1.6(M),sigh!Haha!And the piston rings are already run out of function,when I go up hill with lower gear,the blue white smoke blow out all over from the back exhaust pipe!Here is another problem have to be solve!Already asked to those mechanic shop,most of them suggest I change the whole engine but not just changing the rings,they told me it is not last longer if I just changing the piston rings!However,this is another topic I going to post in this forum...Thanks again Ken!

Best regards

Tee

Last edited:

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
well, my father B14 year 1997 also facing the same problem. rust on the roof. 1st time send to the shop, remove rust and gum then respray...after 2 months...the rusty start again, starting with small small dot. then send back to the shop, and then repeat the process again...now waiting to see will it come back again...quite headache problem actually...

ary4145

May 31, 2006
waikiki said:
bumpin in for the day.. any1 tried out the method already ?

hey ary ? its rm200 (depends on condition) or standard pricing ?

sorry didnt noticed .. standard price for normal sedan cars.. ill pm u the phone number later.. already misplaced it ..

waikiki

500 RPM
Mar 16, 2004
Damansara, PJ
Visit site
aight !!

shall wait.
thanks for ur reply ary4145 :)

ary4145 said:
sorry didnt noticed .. standard price for normal sedan cars.. ill pm u the phone number later.. already misplaced it ..

cloud

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Hi there everyone..
Read all of your comments...
I have this little rust problem on my bonnet as well..
A tiny spot. I afraid it'll start to spread if I don't take care of it soon..
So, how much is the average cost to repair the rust spot in KL area?
And I saw teearts's comments on using WD40 on the rust. Does it works? I mean preventing the rust spot from spreading further.

Thanks for the replies.

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
teearts said:
Thanks Ken!You are very kind and helpful!These are all very good information and ideas...I would do it by my self as if the roof getting more worst!Thanks a lot!

Best regards!

tee

hmm.. since its roof.. i would suggest you to do it asap, when u have free time and materials, cause.. if it goes worst.. its gonna be hard to patch, and roof cancer leaks water = no good for ur interior comfort,

let79

Nov 27, 2006
I dunno whether this method works as im still waiting for the result. Just had it fixed mself. I have some rusts appearing on the back door hinges. As i know WD 40 doesnt really works as to avoid rusts you need to cover the metal from air and water. With WD40 spray on the metal its impossible to paint the bare metal and with WD40, its just temporary solution. Correct me if im wrong.

Here is my method. No harm trying.
Ingredients.
1) Water colour paint brush. (small size)
2) Anti rust. Hammerite Kurust Rust Convertor
3) Nail Polish (as near to your car colour)

Preparation

Clean surface by removing all loose paint and rust, dirt, grease and salt. Remove grease. Rinse with clean water and allow time to dry. Possible if thinner + water.

Application

Shake container well and pour required amount into a plastic container.
By brush: apply direct to rusty area, working well into heavily pitted areas, corners and edges. Avoid coating onto painted areas.
Hammerite Kurust will turn blue/black when reacting with rust. If it does not change colour in 1 hour re-apply. Apply topcoat after 3 hours.
Do not replace unused Kurust back into the original container.

Last edited:

teearts

Jun 30, 2006
Hello!My friends,I am back!This time I really had started to treat the rust onto my Nissan car roof!Thanks to Mr. Let79!I'd follow your steps on how to use Kurust(Hammerite).Hope this method is going to work!We will wait for the result and see.Stay tune!

(p/s:I would insert some images to show to you guys.Hope this will help you up!)...PLEASE CLICK the link below : Saving Nissan Sentra

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my satria meters is totally out man.... my rpm, temp. , oil and the whole thing is not working rite now.... anyone knows how much is the cheapest that i can get and where?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience