how to determine time to change absorber?

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Hi all zth member,

need your advice here, is there any method to determine when shall we change the absorber?

Some told me that bring the car to experience absorber "Si Fu", he will know whether the absorber need to change by just press down your car and "feel" the absorber reaction. is that true? :huh:

do we have a more scientific or more accurate method to check on it? some kind of machine to do checking?

And is that any different to do absorber checking from Sport car like supra, normal saloon like WAJA, MPV like Toyota WISH to K-car like kancil?

my mechanic once told me that factory recommendation for my absorber (or it apply to all absorber?) is to change it every 25,000KM ride. is that true also?

anyone can help?
Ninja_iga do you have any advice?

limch1

Known Member
Oct 27, 2004
PJ
www.geocities.com
Hi

Last time when I check my absorber. The mechanic just press down the car and said it's normal... but it's actually not.

What I did is take out the whole set. Take out the spring from the absorber, and press the absorber down. Since mine is the gas fill type, it'll automatically come up again, if it do not, meaning it's not in optimum condition...

Thanks

et5828

1,500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
no need to feel it la...if u are ok with the comfort just leave it :D

kapitan

Known Member
Dec 29, 2003
Visit site
25000KM? Must be damn rich then...
Just kidding... anyway, my friend showed me a Kayaba booklist b4, and it says there "recommended change at 40000KMs"...

anyway, i dont expect my absorber to handle like the way it was fresh out from factory/box... i think the way to test it is to drive through a bumpy road... lastime i drove sunny with almost done absorber, feel like road got waves... hahaha if u know what i means... now after 36000KM and 1 1/2 years and my car still not yet feel like ship, I think can last for another few months...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
I see, so Kayaba have different recogmendation...

guys, do you have any idea where to check "che keok" (kaki motor? really don't know the english word). I feel something is not right for my car.

when my car go over some road (like the roundabout at Jln Kuching), my car feel very shaky ... but if i drive a kancil, it feel much more better.

the other problem is that when my car go through those parking entrance that the surface that have longkong (thatform the ^ or "V" shape), one good example will be 1U parking, my steering is vibrating, same thing it doesn't happen to kancil.

can someone give some advice here? what can possible goes wrong?

L2TurboFool

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
it will kong without leaking oso...its a wear and tear product..
one method
u can push down the side where u want to check if the absorber is working or not..push it down hard...then let it go.
see if the absorber comes back up straight without stopping or sangkut-ing..ehhe

kapitan

Known Member
Dec 29, 2003
Visit site
Steering vibrate ah..
Hmm.. check your steering bush...
U try turning left n right while having someone to check whether the steering bush move or not... if move, then change it lor... cheap only... less than RM100 including labour...

Booze

Known Member
Jan 6, 2004
My bed room "on da BED"
www.defcon.org
when ur ride become a boat... then its time to change

L2TurboFool

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Booze@Dec 31 2004, 09:38
when ur ride become a boat... then its time to change
ahhahaha :lol:

can also hear a certain kinda sound coming from the absorber which is giving prob..

deftons

Known Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
hmm..as ppl said if ya absorber is leaking..means it is KO adi..most of the time leakage happens on oil type of absorber right..how about gas type..?how to determine whether it is KO adi..?

ntahapahapantah

Known Member
Jun 30, 2004
For oil type.. yeap that's 1 way to know.

For gas type last time i've experienced the nyek nyek sounds and also u can c sumthing burning at the batang (err wht they call it ar) kinda looklike when u burn an iron rod.

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
S1997 said:
take out the whole thing then have a look?
only use the Manufacturer "KM" claims as a rough guide. products sometimes don't last as long, or even last longer than that.

the proper test is to press down hard on each side, and watch to see if the car bounces more than 3-4 times. if it does, chances are, the absorbers are dead. Dead absorbers don't necesarilly leak.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Continued

Ok so now you've installed your air filter, changed your exhaust and still have bucket loads of cash to spend, what's next?

Personally I would recommend something that requires very little maintenance and doesn't take much time to install, so I'd suggest to work on the chassis or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience