How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

May 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi

Been contemplating getting a VW jetta due to the promotion is running 699 currently.. but quite concerned over the previous owner fight over show unhappiness over the 7 speed DSG problem is.
I would say its the only thing stopping me now. VW sales guy said its had solve over DSG and those ppl just mod bad about VW brands only...
But what i heard from others VWs owner having problem, they bring their car visit SC every 1 or 2 month have to visit workshop. And their after sales is not fantastic either.

Anyone here can share?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The VW mechatronic thing has been resolved la. The issue was the fully synthetic oil being used reacted with the electronic bits in the gearbox (specifically the mechatronics) and then caused the failure. They've since changed to mineral oils and that solves the problem. The other issues are just a matter of luck. You can buy a problematic Ferrari if you're unlucky.

Like all cars the VWs need TLC. Remember to check oil levels, coolant levels and never swap to fully synthetic gearbox oil. You'll be fine after that.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The VW mechatronic thing has been resolved la. The issue was the fully synthetic oil being used reacted with the electronic bits in the gearbox (specifically the mechatronics) and then caused the failure. They've since changed to mineral oils and that solves the problem. The other issues are just a matter of luck. You can buy a problematic Ferrari if you're unlucky.

Like all cars the VWs need TLC. Remember to check oil levels, coolant levels and never swap to fully synthetic gearbox oil. You'll be fine after that.
Ask you a question, would you buy?:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ask you a question, would you buy?:biggrin:
If I had the money and didn't have requirements, it would be in my consideration list. I test drove KCNgs Jetta with the intention to consider it. I quite liked his car, only thing was the price was high even after discounts.

swift2510

Known Member
Aug 13, 2008
I would ask the Salesman about how the 2+3 warranty works. Then ask a VW owner who had owned a VW pass the manufacturer's warranty period and is now covered by Allianz. How is Allianz handling claims? What are the terms and conditions of claims? Is there such a thing as minimum claim amount? i.e. below certain value it's not covered.

phatboyz71

Jul 3, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Yeah,i totally agree with you. My car have been fixed on December 2013 due to the DSG problem. They had changed my gearbox oil,they replaced the synthetic oil to mineral oil. So far,my car doesn't have any gearbox failure problem. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I would ask the Salesman about how the 2+3 warranty works. Then ask a VW owner who had owned a VW pass the manufacturer's warranty period and is now covered by Allianz. How is Allianz handling claims? What are the terms and conditions of claims? Is there such a thing as minimum claim amount? i.e. below certain value it's not covered.
Read the fine print. Heard some where you cannot go over your mileage on your oil change if not will void warranty, means 10k km next oil change, don't pass that mileage when you do your next service.:smokin:

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

If I had the money and didn't have requirements, it would be in my consideration list. I test drove KCNgs Jetta with the intention to consider it. I quite liked his car, only thing was the price was high even after discounts.
He bought because of the discount.....:driver:

cacing

Apr 16, 2004
Depends on which sc u go to....my friend that works in FAW told me that the sc in glenmarie is bad but the sc in jln 222 pj is much better. I normally send my car to the sc in okr and had no problem with the service. They even managed to replace my mechatronic in one day...Just ask around and you will know more about which place to send to service...

rosalinda9988

Jul 2, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Depends on which sc u go to....my friend that works in FAW told me that the sc in glenmarie is bad but the sc in jln 222 pj is much better. I normally send my car to the sc in okr and had no problem with the service. They even managed to replace my mechatronic in one day...Just ask around and you will know more about which place to send to service...
Yea.. it's really depends on which SC you go. I drives VW polo and i've sent my car to the cheras SC on this January. So far,i don't think their after sales service is bad perhaps i'm the lucky one.

option1978

Known Member
May 25, 2009
Problematic car - expected, coz no car is perfect. Problems tend to pop up here & there.

Major issues with VW 1.4TSI + 7 Speed DSG
1. Clutch problem
- Premature wear of clutch pack, starting as early as 15k km. A hassle in getting it replaced whether under manufacturer warranty / extended warranty as you need to go through the long process of making appointment for 1st reading, 2nd reading (takes about a month or so) & even longer wait for replacement (as of now, it's minimum 3 months wait)
- Cost of clutch pack = RM 6k++

2. Mechatronic problem
- A silent killer that goes off without warning. Claimed to have solved with using mineral oil but still not proven as a permanent solution. Lesser hassle, shorter waiting time for parts since this problem not as common as the clutch
- Cost of replacing mechatronic = RM 9k++

3. Engine problem
- A few owners encountered misfiring coil that lead to piston crack & subsequent claim for engine replacement
- Tell tale signs are there during the earlier stage of misfiring but sadly VGM diagnostic tools can't read the fault as there is no fault code, as such can't do much to further diagnose the problem.
- You will be facing a nightmare in this instance as your expected to drive until it fails, get it towed back & then only the fault code will appear as it piston already cracked & damaged the engine

4. After Sales Service
- Non existent with VW SC
- You will be kept waiting for parts replacement, expect a lot of shouting, screaming etc. in order to get things done
- Even appointment for routine service requires 3 weeks to 1 month booking in advance. Go beyond the duration (1 year) / mileage (15k km) & you are screwed as they will void your warranty. However, back in March VGM allowed a tolerance of 1 month / 1.5k km.

If you can bear with the 4 mentioned problems, then you should get one as the driving pleasure is there.

milobing80

Apr 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Problematic car - expected, coz no car is perfect. Problems tend to pop up here & there.

Major issues with VW 1.4TSI + 7 Speed DSG
1. Clutch problem
- Premature wear of clutch pack, starting as early as 15k km. A hassle in getting it replaced whether under manufacturer warranty / extended warranty as you need to go through the long process of making appointment for 1st reading, 2nd reading (takes about a month or so) & even longer wait for replacement (as of now, it's minimum 3 months wait)
- Cost of clutch pack = RM 6k++

2. Mechatronic problem
- A silent killer that goes off without warning. Claimed to have solved with using mineral oil but still not proven as a permanent solution. Lesser hassle, shorter waiting time for parts since this problem not as common as the clutch
- Cost of replacing mechatronic = RM 9k++

3. Engine problem
- A few owners encountered misfiring coil that lead to piston crack & subsequent claim for engine replacement
- Tell tale signs are there during the earlier stage of misfiring but sadly VGM diagnostic tools can't read the fault as there is no fault code, as such can't do much to further diagnose the problem.
- You will be facing a nightmare in this instance as your expected to drive until it fails, get it towed back & then only the fault code will appear as it piston already cracked & damaged the engine

4. After Sales Service
- Non existent with VW SC
- You will be kept waiting for parts replacement, expect a lot of shouting, screaming etc. in order to get things done
- Even appointment for routine service requires 3 weeks to 1 month booking in advance. Go beyond the duration (1 year) / mileage (15k km) & you are screwed as they will void your warranty. However, back in March VGM allowed a tolerance of 1 month / 1.5k km.

If you can bear with the 4 mentioned problems, then you should get one as the driving pleasure is there.
Yea,Ur right! There is no perfect car,it depends on the way you drive your car. Anyway,those problems you've mentioned above is quite common but not everyone got the same issue. Just remember to service your car in order to have the best condition.

option1978

Known Member
May 25, 2009
Yea,Ur right! There is no perfect car,it depends on the way you drive your car. Anyway,those problems you've mentioned above is quite common but not everyone got the same issue. Just remember to service your car in order to have the best condition.
Sadly the mentioned problem are quite common for VW 1.4TSI with DSG7.

On the scale
Engine problem - Quite rare (say 1 in 1000)
Mechatronic - Medium (say 1 in 100)
Clutch problem - Very common (say 1 in 2)

Fixed my clutch problem in early May (even numbers) now have to make appointment again (odd numbers)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

According to reports online, Porsche's new chairman has said that the German supercar builder is evaluating a return to Formula 1, a sport the company left in 1962 due to high costs.

Though Porsche has returned as an engine supplier a couple times (remember TAG Mclaren?), the marque has generally stayed away from Formula One, preferring instead to compete in endurance races and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience