How do we know if we modify our car LEGALLY?

stanleycmw

Known Member

stanleycmw

Known Member
Jan 24, 2007
Hi Hi all zerotohundred members...

Well...I sincerely hope this topic will not be boring...nor any trouble...

The question is, how do we know if we modified our car legally?

The reason I have raised this question was that I ran into a road block (huge one...with more than 10 policemen and women) on the night before Christmas after I've returned from friend's party with my wife in my beloved car. The police stopped me and asked for my driving lisence and IC. I showed them and they asked me to park aside. Soon, a police woman came to me and told me that she wanted to "samban" me...so I guess sure..."On what charges?" I asked. She told me that I am using white color bulb (which is illegal) and I have a huge exhaust (which is also illegal). And there she "samban" me...giving me until February of 2008 to settle them.

OK...here are the issues.

White color bulb is illegal. What happen for those Mercedes Benz or BMW which are installed with HID?! :mad: If those white color bulb is illegal, then why are those European car manufacturers still assembled their cars as standard equipment?

If someone said that is Europe...we import them...it's like that one lar... Then, I ask again, how about our local assembled Honda Accord with 3.0-liter?! How about the Toyota Camry with 2.4-liter?! They also have white color bulb as standard, right? Our authorities should not have all this double standard lar!!! :mad: Come on...if someone drive a Mercedes Benz with HID then OK...if Kancil installed one set HID then cannot...have to "samban"? :mad: What the hell is all that about?! :mad:

In addition, I also read from newspaper that the HID is now legalized in Peninsula Malaysia...how come we still get "samban" for installing these white color bulb? :mad:

Furthermore, I'm living in a village where there are less lamp post with minimal visuality at night...I need such bright white color bulb to see clearly while I'm travelling home. IF anything happened on the dark and poor-visual condition road, who am I going to blame? What if I have accidentally hit someone because I "cannot" see him / her due to the fact that I was FORCED to removed the bright white color bulb from my car????!!! :mad:

Huge Exhaust. First, I don't know if I'm correct, but please correct me if I was wrong...that HUGE exhaust is NOT equal to LOUD noise. The LOUD noise is actually effected by the SIZE of muffler. The larger the muffler is, more silent the exhaust will sound. The smaller it is (even without muffler), your vehicle will sound like tank.

OK...now...I have a large muffler...tanabe G-Medalion with the exhaust tip of 3-inch installed for my EVO 3...because I am driving a 2.0-liter turbo charged engine. My car is a hell lot more quiet than those Proton Saga Special Edition or Proton Wira Special Edition with sport muffler...(believe me...I've done the comparison not only myself...but a whole lot of people and mechanics)...and I got "samban" because I have BIG tips and muffler.:mad:

I'm NOT the one who making all the noise! Look at some Kancil or Kelisa or other ordinary car with poor engine displacement which have NO muffler at all...running with "straight pipe" ( as they usually called)...vrooming around like it is a F1 city-circuit...and they all are LEGAL...and mine...driving 60 km/h with huge muffler and tip, barelly heard if the car is approaching, is ILLEGAL??!! :mad: What is that all about?! :mad: Do our authorities have any basic knowledge of OEM (Original Equipment Manufactorer) parts? Do our authorities know what EVO or WRX's original standard muffler's size? Do our authorities have any idea what SKYLINE is using for their standard tip size? If they don't even know...how could they "samban" me just like that?! How big is legal?! How big is not?! :mad:

The money is not an issue at this point of discussion. I think the DOUBLE STANDARD and LACK OF PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE are the huge issues here. I don't know about you all but me, myself...as a driver...demand to know how standards are set. So that next time when I ran into some road blocks again...I know what my car is legal and what is not...they just can't said " itu besar...tak boleh...ini salah...tak boleh..."

Hope this won't cause any trouble... I apologized if my statements above should they have violated any person or group in any manners. And I welcome all the inputs and suggestions... Thanks and Merry Christmas!

katopunk

Known Member

katopunk

Known Member
May 18, 2006
Re: How do we know if we modified our car LEGALLY?

fILE A SUIT THEN.. =B mERRY cHRISTMAS.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert

u just came back from oveseas? :biggrin:

Maxx

2,000 RPM

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com

its "saman" not "samban".
or izzit "saman" + "jamban".. hhaha.. kidding..

truestar59

Known Member

truestar59

Known Member
Nov 12, 2007

sorry to hear that bro
i got the some thing happen to me too, anyway those FU**ER(POLI**) not pro at all they said what ever they like, maybe the gov poor thats why just give saman.
by the way what car u driving?? WIRA with EVO 3 engine??? if yes save yr $$$ get a better car, no more supporting made in malaysia

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

stanley, white colour halogen bulb is legal as stated in JPJ website. Go take a look. I can 100% bet that they don't know even not how to differentiate between a white colour halogen bulb and HID.

maxwatt

maxwatt

Aug 20, 2007

stanley, white colour halogen bulb is legal as stated in JPJ website. Go take a look. I can 100% bet that they don't know even not how to differentiate between a white colour halogen bulb and HID.
Bro mind to share the link to JPJ's website stating that the white halogen light is legal to install, coz I can't find it at Portal Rasmi Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia thanks

csl

1,000 RPM

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia

Sorry bro, no offense, but the police woman did a right thing to saman you. For your own good and also other's peaceful life.

1. White bulb.
It was proven that yellowish light has the best visibility's at night. After market white/blueish bulb is just ok for night but will become worst when raining. Even my car which came with original HID, I also try to find 3800k bulb to replace current white bulb. Because the white light made my 250hp car with 235/40/18 T1R need to be driven at 15-20km/h with double signal on, during heavy rain (what a joke when slowly overtook by a original kancil). If I cannot control my emotion at that time, my car may end up with in the workshop and wait for the insurance adjuster to take picture.

2. Big diameter exhaust.
Till date, I never heard about there is any quiet 'big' exhaust. You may think it looks cool and not noisy. But when you pass by those housing area, especially at night, do you know how many people is cursing you without your notice? But if you just change the original exhaust tip only, then I think you are not deserved to be 'saman'ed .

csl

1,000 RPM

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia

I suggest you to install a CAT (difficult to get ori Evo 3 muffler) or if you have CAT, add extra mid muffler, change the buld to Philips Silver Vision (remember to adjust the level), put a Pivot Raizin (with grounding cable) then go to Puspakom and do a check up. Then keep the slips in your car next time (if passed without 'adjusting' the puspakom people).

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007

csl, about HIDs, yeah u may be right, despite its benefits sometimes it does blind the oncoming traffic...this more often than not applies to cars which are not originally fitted with them...

one thing though, a bigger tong ekzos with more sound dampening materials will be able to dampen sound better than smaller ones with lesser sound dampening capabilities, is it not?...most of those cars that make lotsa noise, look closely at them when u see them on the road and tell me whether they are using huge fart cannons or small diameter straight through exhausts or using none at all....

FVel

500 RPM

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007

Stanley,

Since they made you pay, why not make them justify their actions ?

You don't have to be rude but you can politely ask them to quote you the exact section of the regulations that they used to support the summons. Ask them nicely for a photocopy of the relevant sections. Tell them you want to know because you intend to change your car's equipment back to legal requirements. If possible, pin down that woman cop who wrote your summons and ask her to cough up the relevant sections.

The cops have to give you an answer when requested because of accountability. Legally, they are not obliged to simply turn you away with no explanations.

nitrus

2,000 RPM

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005

I also try to find 3800k bulb to replace current white bulb. Because the white light made my 250hp car with 235/40/18 T1R need to be driven at 15-20km/h with double signal on, during heavy rain (what a joke when slowly overtook by a original kancil). If I cannot control my emotion at that time, my car may end up with in the workshop and wait for the insurance adjuster to take picture.
Let the ego go dude..

So what if you get overtook by a kancil? Just tak layan lah. You have a 250hp car but you feel intimidated by a Kancil ? Hahaha.. Don't layan only. As long as you know once u pedal to the metal in "better circumstances" (not rainy day) you can smoke the fella easily.

That day I was "overtook" (while I wasn't even revving past 2k RPM, just slow pickup) by this blue Perdana, BIG BIG rims with "pish pish pish" turbo SOUND? .. Or real turbo. I don't know.. But it was SLOW AS HELL! I wasn't even revving up and the guy was like trying so hard to rev past me with his pish-ing and loud muffler but his pick-up was damn slow, even my friend also had a "Huh??" face when I turned and look at her after the car "overtook" me and left while I was still cruising slowly... HAHAHAHA!! If my eyes did not deceive me, it's an indian driver. He was actually already revving his engine while he was behind me at a junction, I had to wait for the road to clear before I could move out obviously.. Right after I moved out slowly only he started pish-ing past me from the right side. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So, if you get overtook by a kancil when you memang TRYING to outrun the guy with your 250hp car, then you can start getting emotional la.. Maybe you can even kill yourself too if that happens. Haha!! Kidding :biggrin: The world is bigger than wasting our lives on the road trying to race everybody else that you can't "let go off" from our ego. Peace.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

Sorry bro, no offense, but the police woman did a right thing to saman you. For your own good and also other's peaceful life.

1. White bulb.
It was proven that yellowish light has the best visibility's at night. After market white/blueish bulb is just ok for night but will become worst when raining. Even my car which came with original HID, I also try to find 3800k bulb to replace current white bulb. Because the white light made my 250hp car with 235/40/18 T1R need to be driven at 15-20km/h with double signal on, during heavy rain (what a joke when slowly overtook by a original kancil). If I cannot control my emotion at that time, my car may end up with in the workshop and wait for the insurance adjuster to take picture.

2. Big diameter exhaust.
Till date, I never heard about there is any quiet 'big' exhaust. You may think it looks cool and not noisy. But when you pass by those housing area, especially at night, do you know how many people is cursing you without your notice? But if you just change the original exhaust tip only, then I think you are not deserved to be 'saman'ed .
Bro, don't need to replace your HID with halogen bulbs...It's a bit over doing it. Maintain the stock HID just add a pair of fog lights enough already. You said your car came with stock HID, if you change to halogen; you might have to redo the lighting wiring and quite a messy job and waste also. HID sockets are different from Halogen.

About the exhaust part, really not all exhaust which is big are loud. Like those HKS silent Hipower or FGKs, Tanabe Hyper G-medallion just to name af ew, they are quite silent. I have ride before in some of the cars with good exhaust systems. They sounded quiet and better than those LMST exhaust note....

good day

stanleycmw

Known Member

stanleycmw

Known Member
Jan 24, 2007

fILE A SUIT THEN.. =B mERRY cHRISTMAS.
Hi bro katopunk... Thanks for the suggestion bro...unfortunately we are in Malaysia lar...not as FREE as some western countries that we could demand some explanations and some actions or even suggestions to our authorities... It took them FOREVER to LOOK INTO IT... SIGH...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year of 2008 to you!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I love to experiment over the engine, gearbox, suspension systems, intake and exhaust systems (many of these are in the past)
I was at auto shop today (from home went across the whole town at 7th March to buy gifts and presents), went there, especially at the same time was looking for slush, found)) bought today, and, so for not waiting for too long I filled it directly near the shop!

Everything is on the photo and video...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience