Honda City CVT gearbox

AutoBlackie

Known Member
Jul 16, 2004
Actually there is such a thing as Civic CVT in Japan. They just didn't sell it in Malaysia.

So far it seems like we are the only ones not complaining bout this CVT. Wonder if there are more satisfied users out there.

As for me I've only had my City for less than 10k. Probably the problem haven't developed yet......

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
it seems in AutoWorld there are ppl who are participating in the petition already.. let's see the outcome :D

there was also Civic with CVT in Singapore, but it was recalled and fitted with normal auto-gearbox because of some problems as i've heard.

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
already some ppl hav commented bout this belt-driven technology long b4 city was launched.....was used in civics ek 1.5 sohc vtec - hardly confident bout it then

beats me, but now, its already so many yrs n yet Honda still use it in new cars, i guess the reliability shouldnt b so bad, like u guyz said, get the 'right' oil is important.....

ps: even for dohc vtecs (normal g/b), im sure those guyz notice the diff n not advisable to use mineral based oil when u tarik~8k++rpm

anyway, i've driven the city IDSI b4.....no complaints, for the price u pay; i think its a best u can get for comfort, space, economy

irontech

Known Member
Jun 1, 2005
Cheras (M'sia)
AutoBlackie said:
Ya, lots of talk in Autoworld's honda forum. It seems like the same few ppl are complaining. I don't doubt that they are genuine. However, I think that they represent the minority.

From my experience, yeap a soft vibration. But even when pushed to neutral. Well for the money paid no complains.

So far the CVT is really a different experience altogether...It is like you're driving a different kind of a vehicle...smooth

Hi, I'm new in this web forum. I own City iDSI since Jan 05.

Yes, there only few "Same" ppl are complaining there. Some of them just treat it like "rumor" then become "reality" in their mind and keep asking "izzit? Problem? Mine too...or even petition"

I'm not sure how they define their term "vibrate" or "jerk", but why we scare about what we paid since the car entitled 100,000KM or 3 years warranty.

AutoBlackie, your "soft vibration" can refer to mini forum.

1) CVT Jerk?!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89896&highlight=CVT+jerk

2) CVT reprogrammed
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86804&highlight=CVT+jerk

I'm not so sure City CVT can be reprogrammed but I do have confidence with Honda.

This is what happens in Honda China. (It's chinese simplified character, sorry guys for who can't read. I tried translate but couldn't) If something really happen, sure Honda will replace.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.guangzhouhonda.com.cn/news1.htm

Or you go http://www.guangzhouhonda.com.cn/

read the 04/25 notice.

P/S: If anyone understand what is that, please tell me as I dont understand what is the term for the part they promised to be checked and changed. :D

Last edited:

AutoBlackie

Known Member
Jul 16, 2004
In the First place, was there a problem? WHy reset ECU when there is are no problems?

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
i don't know about you guys but i'm having a good laugh at the thread in AW although I for one am also worried like the rest of the owners out there of that "problem" happening to me.

At the moment there's only 7 real complaints filed for the petition, and I thought it was really a a big crowd of people that is affected by the problem. (although no doubt there may be other city owners out there that aren't on AW and unable to make their official complaints)

Read the petition thread, there are some people complaining that their SC claiming that they do not have stock for the CVTF and other SCs wouldn't have them either. However, did they actually take the effort to drive to another SC and ask? (or perhaps call them directly?) I bet no. While they are claiming other SC don't have it, I've got mine a flushed with CVTF a few weeks back (while the CVT problem thread is still on).

All these vibration issues, whether it's a problem or it's normal.. how can they confirm? how sure are they it's due to the CVT problem before condemning the CVT? Well, maybe the jerking problem may be something extraordinary to a CVT which is supposed to run smooth, but what sort of jerk is this? a gearchange jerk? if so, that's probably a real problem to the CVT as other cars are having their gear changes rather smoothly..

another complainant said that the tapping of the accelerator causes "jerk".. heck, don't they know this is a norm for the CVT? when you release your accelerator.. it'll create the engine braking feel.. thus the problem with "jerk".. i got used to it and i don't face this "jerk" that much at all.. well most of the time during low revs at standstill traffic i'll leave my car roll by itself..

while complaining, they just have to start giving honda city some other names like "honda silly and honda shitty".. now, that's pretty matured of them eh? bleh.. still thanks to them i have a fair share of laugh.

Keano

Known Member
Mar 19, 2005
Penang
Visit site
aiyaa those ppl on AW forum should just go & complainla in one group, noble of them to compile a petition so honda would actually keep QC in check, who knows it might make a diffrence eh!

my xperience is from slight vibration during stop/idle is due to revs dip below 1000 (mayb around 800) do u guys notice the same thing? try shutting off aircon but little help, oi jackie 3.30am still studying aa? sure top student d like this:)
hattech-v check out http://[url="http://www.asia.vtec.net"]asia.vtec.net/[/url] got pics summore!:p

Last edited:

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
Keano said:
my xperience is from slight vibration during stop/idle is due to revs dip below 1000 (mayb around 800) do u guys notice the same thing? try shutting off aircon but little help
I think this can be fixed by adjusting the timing screw at the throttle body. Usually older or modified cars face this problem. Especially when air-conditioning is turned on and car is just about to idle.

Basically, you just want the RPM to stay around 900-1000rpm during idle

Keano

Known Member
Mar 19, 2005
Penang
Visit site
riezal, now dont dare kacau those things la, since under warranty i'd rather go to SC if problem gets worse. my old proton berani la. sum ppl say if add grounding kit would help but yet to test it myself:D

in AW sum of them say got 'tak' sound from dashbrd, happened 2 me once or twice, but tht is due to expansion/contraction during hot/cold day. in the morning if it rains and summore aircon running surely dashbrd plastic contract a bit wan wat. ya la mayb dont xperience in accord or civic but just in case u guyz dont notice, citys r the 'cheapest' honda cars around la...:p

Last edited:

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
Ya grounding helps too. And yes, don't fiddle with it yourself. Get workshop to do it.

I got one question about warranty. Is it true that warranty is void once you change rims? Not service warranty, but warranty on parts. Coz usually Honda gives 3 years/100000kms warranty on parts.

irontech

Known Member
Jun 1, 2005
Cheras (M'sia)
Jackie Leong said:
i don't know about you guys but i'm having a good laugh at the thread in AW although I for one am also worried like the rest of the owners out there of that "problem" happening to me.

At the moment there's only 7 real complaints filed for the petition, and I thought it was really a a big crowd of people that is affected by the problem. (although no doubt there may be other city owners out there that aren't on AW and unable to make their official complaints)

Read the petition thread, there are some people complaining that their SC claiming that they do not have stock for the CVTF and other SCs wouldn't have them either. However, did they actually take the effort to drive to another SC and ask? (or perhaps call them directly?) I bet no. While they are claiming other SC don't have it, I've got mine a flushed with CVTF a few weeks back (while the CVT problem thread is still on).

All these vibration issues, whether it's a problem or it's normal.. how can they confirm? how sure are they it's due to the CVT problem before condemning the CVT? Well, maybe the jerking problem may be something extraordinary to a CVT which is supposed to run smooth, but what sort of jerk is this? a gearchange jerk? if so, that's probably a real problem to the CVT as other cars are having their gear changes rather smoothly..

another complainant said that the tapping of the accelerator causes "jerk".. heck, don't they know this is a norm for the CVT? when you release your accelerator.. it'll create the engine braking feel.. thus the problem with "jerk".. i got used to it and i don't face this "jerk" that much at all.. well most of the time during low revs at standstill traffic i'll leave my car roll by itself..

while complaining, they just have to start giving honda city some other names like "honda silly and honda shitty".. now, that's pretty matured of them eh? bleh.. still thanks to them i have a fair share of laugh.

Jackie,

I 101% agree what you said. Especially from internet, so many fake mails, messages. Some of them from AW just try to fool around, maybe jealous.

My only doubt is which tyres should go for. For 185/60/14, really not much choice. Potenza G III, expensive, Dunlop P9000? Sorry, only 15" above...

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

They have Infiniti as the luxury brand

They have Leaf as electric car

And now reviving Datsun as low cost car

Read about it in the net, Nissan will bring back Datsun after 30 years...targeting India as their first market in 2014/2015, producing cars with budget of $3000 to $6000..and still make profit...

Any idea how its gonna look like...surely many hope its based on Datsun 240Z design aite?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience