Honda City CVT gearbox

AutoBlackie

Known Member
Jul 16, 2004
Recently, there have been lots of ppl claiming that the CVT gearbox is unreliable and I wonder if this claim is true? I have a CITY Vtec March 2005. It has done 6k km. I've changed the ATF to the new CVTF. I'm enjoying the CITY very much with no problems so far.
I've a friend who is using a 95 Civic ferio with the first generation CVT gearbox is still having no problems with it.
If you really did have your gearbox changed before can you post it here.

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
Feb 2005 City VTEC here.. only did 4100km mileage and did my CVTF oil change at 38xxkm.. no problems so far..

just wondering, when ur gear is engaged to D and during standstill traffic.. do you feel any vibration? soft vibrations on your seats.. just wondering :)

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
The only problem i find is the power pickup up slower than RPM increment. But not a problem also, since the whole process is so smooth without any jerk, thanks to CVT.

AutoBlackie

Known Member
Jul 16, 2004
Ya, lots of talk in Autoworld's honda forum. It seems like the same few ppl are complaining. I don't doubt that they are genuine. However, I think that they represent the minority.

From my experience, yeap a soft vibration. But even when pushed to neutral. Well for the money paid no complains.

So far the CVT is really a different experience altogether...It is like you're driving a different kind of a vehicle...smooth

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
I agree.. never felt the same driving other cars :)

gear change is so smooth, no jerk at all.. at least i can slowly drive and not awake my passengers on long distance driving, etc.. my mum falls asleep easily in my car :p

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
From what I was told... if you use cheap / unknown brands of ATF (not meant for CVT)... there will be problems.

Other than that... CVTs are very reliable. Just don't skimp on maintainance cost.

kokster99

Known Member
Oct 25, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Visit site
CVTs should be good lerr...coming from Honda...I'm sure they would have run the bugger to the ground before releasing it to mass market. So, the problems faced by a minority of owners could be isolated cases.

Well, no vehicle is perfect. Sometimes buy car also must see ones luck.. I have a friend who has changed cars don how many times. Each time he changed car(whether new or 2nd hand) sure got problem one. And the problem is unique to him! Mechanics always tell him that his problem is always one in a million....never seen it happenned before!

By the way, does the 2.0iVtec civic CVT-ed??

SnooPDoGGY

1,500 RPM
Mar 23, 2005
TwoForties
Visit site
sadly...

the 2.0 i-Vtec Civic is not...
probably honda wants us to change to manual tranny kottt...
thats why they didnt put CVT... if it is CVT wow must be syiok whoaaa...
smooth tranny... for sure if CVT i'll not change the tranny...
but now since its an non CVT auto tranny, the devil inside me is scorchingly asking me to change to manual tranny lah... but my left knee said... no... no.... no....

SnooPDoGGY

1,500 RPM
Mar 23, 2005
TwoForties
Visit site
koks,

no lah....
just wanna see onli...
or probably wanna share something for mods...
or can ask2 opinion...

BTW Im in Gombak...

where are u n ur fren staying???

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi to all sifu....

i hv a mod car but now got bit problem here hope all sifu can gv me a idea here thank you very much.......

when my car rav till 5k rpm (sometime start fr 4k+) it always not smoth n some times sounds like "PopPopPop ...." can any1 help me out ???
tried out used to control the fuel but still the same - or + fuel also same ...... change the plug n cable also the same.....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience