High fuel consumption + White plugs?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
easy, its leaning out, power drops, u try to extract more when there isnt anymore, tekan more, higher fuel consumption..

OR, it is a bad engine to begine with.. i hope dats not the case ler

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
First, learn or rich has ntg todo with increased fuel consumption. For example, suppose previously ur engine need 80 units of fuel per sec, now need 120 but your ecu and injectors only support max 110. End up, your afr is lean because not enough 120 but fuel consumption increase because 110 more than 80.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Second, if all this problem happens because of distributor change or service, try borrow someone and test it though I highly doubt that is the problem.

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
xtremeleo,
I drive really slow and tekan the accelerator minimal (20% at most).

GEFORCEXTREME,
Let's say we follow your example, I don't think the injector would max out. This is only a 1.8L SOHC. Not some big cc engine like 4G94 2.0L or more. Almost 40L of fuel for less than 350km mostly on highway driving (never exceed 3krpm). Even a 2L turbo can do more than that :(

If say I were to get an E-Manage or a simple SAFC, do you think it will reduce the petrol consumption or increase? Since your theory is that the car is running lean, meaning the management will only serve the purpose of adding more fuel and that will make the car's fuel consumption to increase, am I right?

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
m a v [3] r i c k;1064535264 said:
xtremeleo,
I drive really slow and tekan the accelerator minimal (20% at most).

GEFORCEXTREME,
Let's say we follow your example, I don't think the injector would max out. This is only a 1.8L SOHC. Not some big cc engine like 4G94 2.0L or more. Almost 40L of fuel for less than 350km mostly on highway driving (never exceed 3krpm). Even a 2L turbo can do more than that :(

If say I were to get an E-Manage or a simple SAFC, do you think it will reduce the petrol consumption or increase? Since your theory is that the car is running lean, meaning the management will only serve the purpose of adding more fuel and that will make the car's fuel consumption to increase, am I right?
You keep saying about 4G94 2.0l... in fact its not that much more higher in displacement that a 4G93 1.8l which in turn is not much higher in displacement than a 4G92 1.6l. I was just trying to answer why you experience lean afr while on the same time high fuel consumption. Btw, running lean is also a very narrow concept. Your car could run lean on high RPM and rich on low RPM... who knows? But I say a E-Manage and dyno tuning would be a good investment.

dking91

Known Member
Mar 26, 2013
pekan
just sharing my experience... i also change from 4g92p to 4g93 sohc....just take enjin kosong.... all run normal(got adjustable fuel regulator). fuel also save....full tank rm85(rm2.1/liter) can go to 460-520km....now after rechip the ecu only manage to get 400-450km...

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
dking91,
Did you face similar problem after conversion? Did you change the injectors too?
Btw is yours manual or auto? As long as can get around 450km/full tank and the supposed power from a 1.8 SOHC, I'm happy already.
Now no power and consume ridiculous amount of petrol.

dking91

Known Member
Mar 26, 2013
pekan
m a v [3] r i c k;1064536393 said:
dking91,
Did you face similar problem after conversion? Did you change the injectors too?
Btw is yours manual or auto? As long as can get around 450km/full tank and the supposed power from a 1.8 SOHC, I'm happy already.
Now no power and consume ridiculous amount of petrol.
no problem at all....now im using 210 injector.....im manual...hv u check ur tps/airflow sensor???

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
dking91,
Just changed my injectors to 210cc and added a fuel regulator. No more jerking at low rpm with load.
Will drive for a few days and see if consumption improves.
Seems to have some knocking noise when turn on a/c (less obvious if without a/c).

Thought changing from 92p to 93sohc is just plug and play without the need to change other things. Looks like I was wrong.
How do I check the air flow? There's no check engine light and doesn't misfire at high rpm.
Did you change your air flow/ecu too?

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
White plug and high FC? Do this car also produce black smoke when revving the engine. If yes, u should check if there any leakage between throttle body to cylinder head intake port.

dking91

Known Member
Mar 26, 2013
pekan
m a v [3] r i c k;1064539080 said:
dking91,
Just changed my injectors to 210cc and added a fuel regulator. No more jerking at low rpm with load.
Will drive for a few days and see if consumption improves.
Seems to have some knocking noise when turn on a/c (less obvious if without a/c).

Thought changing from 92p to 93sohc is just plug and play without the need to change other things. Looks like I was wrong.
How do I check the air flow? There's no check engine light and doesn't misfire at high rpm.
Did you change your air flow/ecu too?
it should be PnP but in some condition problems occur... hv u check ur timing using timing light?? u can try retard abit the timing... if u hv timing light, set at +10 degree...
about air flow the code same 449 for 4g92,4g93,4g93t.... u can check by swap with ur friends just to check the engine respon.but i think urs is just fine...make sure the TPS sensor at the right position or reading..this will affect FC also...

does the check engine appear when u on the switch??

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is the mapping the same for 4G92 and 93? Perhaps Maverick needs to transplant the ECU over as well?

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
C99D-MMC5537,
I tested that today but can't see any black smoke from the rear/side mirrors.

dking91,
I'll try to get an airflow to troubleshoot.

Izso,
I went to Mitch and got him to replace the injectors, added a fuel regulator and set the timing using timing light. Right now on low rpm there is no more jerking but I feel the consumption is still as bad. From completely full tank to now about 60% (Wira's meter) I only travelled about 130km. Slight knocking when quick tap on full throttle with a/c on.
He is suggesting to change to 240cc injectors to eliminate the slight knocking (stock 93 SOHC runs on 210cc, which I am using now).

I'm thinking of the last solution which is to change the ecu to a 93SOHC one to overcome this issue once and for all.
Any other ideas?

dking91

Known Member
Mar 26, 2013
pekan
Is the mapping the same for 4G92 and 93? Perhaps Maverick needs to transplant the ECU over as well?
not same..a little bit different in injectors pulse....

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

m a v [3] r i c k;1064540060 said:
C99D-MMC5537,
I tested that today but can't see any black smoke from the rear/side mirrors.

dking91,
I'll try to get an airflow to troubleshoot.

Izso,
I went to Mitch and got him to replace the injectors, added a fuel regulator and set the timing using timing light. Right now on low rpm there is no more jerking but I feel the consumption is still as bad. From completely full tank to now about 60% (Wira's meter) I only travelled about 130km. Slight knocking when quick tap on full throttle with a/c on.
He is suggesting to change to 240cc injectors to eliminate the slight knocking (stock 93 SOHC runs on 210cc, which I am using now).

I'm thinking of the last solution which is to change the ecu to a 93SOHC one to overcome this issue once and for all.
Any other ideas?
actually i did not believe the knocking bcoz of ecu.... what code of ur ecu now??5806?? there are two type of ecu for sohc...one that require knock sensor only(e.g ecu code 5806,7472...), and another one that only required o2 sensor(e.g ecu code 7789,1019)...make sure which type of urs...

just to share my experience...b'4 i change to 4g93 sohc, my engine also got knocking... a lot of things hv been done.. a lot of PTPTN money wasted...changes fuel pump,distributor, cable plug, changing ecu... then last year i send to my friends workshop and hv it topoverhauled... 2-3 of the valves was bent. change the valves, skim the head, remove sharp edge around the combustion chamber... then the knocking gone, the power also there...(untill 1 of my piston gone then change to 4g93sohc)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here is a Little DIY to fix your Faded Headlamps.

While driving around I have Noticed alot of Cars in Malaysia , that have this Problem , So rather than replace the Lights , it could be Fixed using this Tested Method , Have Done this on Many Civics , Mercs , Audis , and it works Beautifully Everytime

Civic HeadLamps Before Renewal Process

[FONT="Arial...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience