Hi/race Cams Tested N Compared..stock,hks,jun,web,crower Etc..

flushafteruse

2,000 RPM
Jun 2, 2004
fire down below
Test vehicle:
- VR4 200 with Evo3 parts
-Turbo: 16G with ported exhaust housing
-Exhaust Manifold: 2G ported
-Intake Manifold: Stock
-Throttle Body: Stock
-MAF: vr4 slightly hacked (screw backed out) with K&N filter & stock turbo intake pipe
-Intercooler: custom made i/c with custom mandrel bent 2.25" diameter piping.
-Exhaust: and 3" apexi n1 exhaust with no cat-conv.
-Injectors & Fuel Control: Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, 510cc/min injectors & S-AFC
-Boost controller: Manual boost controller, check ball & spring type.
-Gas: 97 octane unleaded
-Ignition: Stock with NGK BPR7ES plugs, timing set to stock specifications

Cams Tested:
Stock Mitsubishi
Web Cams - Street Grind
HKS 264 intake 264 Exhaust
HKS 264 intake 272 Exhaust
HKS 272 intake 272 Exhaust
Crower - Stage 3 Grind
Jun Stage 3 Grind

Peak Horsepower and Torque Results:

Stock Mitsubishi Camshafts:
Peak HP: 309.5
Peak TRQ: 295.3
Spool up on street: quick, full boost by 3.2K RPM in 3rd gear with good power when off boost and as it's coming onto boost.

Web Cams - Street Grind:
Peak HP: 314.3
Peak TRQ: 295.3
Spool up on street: slower than stock, full boost by 3.4K RPM in 3rd gear with less power off boost than stock cams.

Crower - Stage 3 Grind
Peak HP: 322.6
Peak TRQ: 314.0
Spool up on street: much slower than stock (the worst of all the cams) with full boost hitting by 3.6-3.7K RPM and a definite loss in power off boost compared to stock cams.

Jun Stage 3 Grind
Peak HP: 323.7
Peak TRQ: 323.2
Spool up on street: Car was not driven on the street.

HKS 264 Intake 264 Exhaust
Peak HP: 323.1
Peak TRQ: 333.0
Spool up on street: As good as stock (3.2K RPM), with off boost power the same if not better than stock.

HKS 264 Intake 272 Exhaust
Peak HP: 324.2
Peak TRQ: 333.1
Spool up on street: Slightly slower than stock (3.3K RPM in 3rd gear) and a very slight loss in power in off boost conditions.

HKS 272 Intake 272 Exhaust
Peak HP: 325.2
Peak TRQ: 323.4
Spool up on street: Slower than stock, full boost by 3.4K RPM in 3rd gear with a slight loss in power in off boost conditions.

Conclusion:

We reached the limitations of the 16G turbo during this test. The turbo would not make any more power nor would it hold more than 20psi of boost at higher RPM's. When the boost was turned up to 25psi the torque went to 350ft-lbs (HKS 272's) but the boost again would fall to 20psi and only make 327whp. From the dyno graphs it appears that for the best track times the HKS 272's would be the best choice. With a larger turbo choice (T3/T4) I think the difference in high RPM horsepower would be more apparent and would reflect better on the more aggressive camshafts. Time permitting we might run a test between a few of these camshaft on car with a larger turbocharger. In the meantime we'll be installing an FRH intake manifold and less restrictive intake tract on the 16g powered test car to see if we can squeeze a little more airflow out the little guy.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

i was just wonderin' wer i can get those PU mounting & how much will it cost me & wat will a normal wan cost? i can choose not 2 change all the mounting at once rite?

any1 did diy mounting b4?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience