Help ! My dashboard is too glaringly shiny!

LesleyAprotto

Banned

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
In desperate attempt to protect my black dashboard from cracks, I coated it with dashboard shine

with COSWAY dashboard shine gell.

It was RM6.50 distributor price per 375ml bottle

It was stated on the bottle as being able to protect against dulling, cracking and against UV, UB or whatever U rays..

Its already many months I coated my dashboard with the product and I find that the shine quite irritating, especially when it reflects the sun, glare into my eyes while driving...

Even at night the beams of incoming cars also glares...

Probably I overdo it too much with the coatings as I was more concerned of preserving my dashboard
from cracks which I see on other similar car, moreover mine is a UK spec, and the dashboard is not meant for tropical countries.

Can anyone advise on how to make it less shiny and at the same time protected from all tthe harmful UV UUV UC rays ?

Detailers advice also welcomed with thanks! :wavey::adore::biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Just use a damp MF cloth with some shampoo and wipe. Then wipe again with damp MF without shampoo. That will thin the coating.

LesleyAprotto

Banned

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
u should have used ottercolor.
You mean I can repaint it?

Do you think I can change from black to cream colour?:confused:

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

u should have used ottercolor.
Just use a damp MF cloth with some shampoo and wipe. Then wipe again with damp MF without shampoo. That will thin the coating.
Yeah I agree with you...

But what about the protection from U rays?

Can you think of any other product which can protect and at the same time not too shiny and sticky?:confused:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well it is best not to apply too much but just a thin coat would do. Of course, frequent maintenance is important. If ur car is exposed under the sun everyday, make sure you use sun shades and tinted film. Dat would be your best UV protector. For non shading protection, apply every 2-3months would do. I usually wash my car interior thoroughly once a month. Thus I reapply once a month.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
More does not mean better. Thicker does not mean better.

There is a saying that goes, less is more. You might have overdone it with the dashboard shine/protector.

Here is what you can and should do:
- Use a mild detergent to wipe away the dashboard shine.
- Get a proper dashboard protector (there is plenty in the market, but I use Mequire's and Optimum)

Application method:
- Just a bit of product is required, spread it evenly.
- If you apply too much, well.......you get shiny/sticky dashboard.

Again, main rule is "More does not mean better, thicker does not mean better."

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
UV? Doesn't your car have tint? If your tint doesn't protect against UV you got a lousy tint.

Also, what I do is keep a cup of water (Takumi style) in the car. It keeps the interior extremely humid so everything plastic/leather/pvc just lasts longer. Keep topping up the water though

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah I agree with you...

But what about the protection from U rays?

Can you think of any other product which can protect and at the same time not too shiny and sticky?:confused:
Clean off as per bro. cvkit mention, then apply Duragloss DG203 Vinyl and leather dressing. This product protects but does not shine like tyre shine and not that oily too.
Best is it keeps dust away for a while like more then a week to two....:biggrin:

LesleyAprotto

Banned

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well it is best not to apply too much but just a thin coat would do. Of course, frequent maintenance is important. If ur car is exposed under the sun everyday, make sure you use sun shades and tinted film. Dat would be your best UV protector. For non shading protection, apply every 2-3months would do. I usually wash my car interior thoroughly once a month. Thus I reapply once a month.
Wow! Your car interior must be nice & clean....

I would love to wash my car interior, but hardly got the time to do it...

I only let the car wash boys to wipe the surface area only...

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

UV? Doesn't your car have tint? If your tint doesn't protect against UV you got a lousy tint.

Also, what I do is keep a cup of water (Takumi style) in the car. It keeps the interior extremely humid so everything plastic/leather/pvc just lasts longer. Keep topping up the water though
Bro Izso, my car got no tint except factory tint.

Somehow I feel uneasy to tint my front windscreen, though some of of the tints are of good quality
and dont fade or smear...

Also what do you meant by "takumi" ?

How on earth can you keep a cup of water in a moving car?

It wont spill ?

Sometimes when I put a cup of coffee in the cup holder, the coffee also spill on the carpet...:confused:

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Clean off as per bro. cvkit mention, then apply Duragloss DG203 Vinyl and leather dressing. This product protects but does not shine like tyre shine and not that oily too.
Best is it keeps dust away for a while like more then a week to two....:biggrin:
Yes I heard of it VR,

But where can I get it?

Dont see this type of products on supermarket shelves....:confused:

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

More does not mean better. Thicker does not mean better.

There is a saying that goes, less is more. You might have overdone it with the dashboard shine/protector.

Here is what you can and should do:
- Use a mild detergent to wipe away the dashboard shine.
- Get a proper dashboard protector (there is plenty in the market, but I use Mequire's and Optimum)

Application method:
- Just a bit of product is required, spread it evenly.
- If you apply too much, well.......you get shiny/sticky dashboard.

Again, main rule is "More does not mean better, thicker does not mean better."
Thanks DA for the professional advice!:wavey:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I am quite particular when it comes to my own car interior hygiene /cleanliness. I spend more time awake in my car than in my room. Thus a clean and tidy interior actually makes traffic jams better. At least it is more relaxing to be in.

You don't need to spend a lot of time to do a thorough cleaning lar..take approximately 30-45 mins would do. Just take it as an exercise lor...if you enjoy doing some task you like, you can even release stress haha...like my friend's dad, he is a carpenter but has high blood pressure. He asked his doctor why as he sweats and works out during his job (some sort like exercise). His doctor said because his mind isn't enjoying it so his body would perform differently. (Sorry ya off topic but good to share:biggrin:)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Also what do you meant by "takumi" ?

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Yes I heard of it VR,

But where can I get it?

Dont see this type of products on supermarket shelves....:confused:
Takumi as in initial D driving style.....hahahahhaa:rofl:

You can order online.
Website: www.duragloss.com.my, Email [email protected] , Contact Liew, 012-2077969

Outlets:-
FAH LIAN HERBS & FOOD SDN. BHD
16, Jalan Hujan Rahmat 2,
Taman Overseas Union,
58200, Kuala Lumpur,
Wilayah Persekutuan
Tel:03-77816786/0377831680

PASARAYA MEGAHERBS & FOOD SDN. BHD.
Lot 10991, Jalan SS24/28,
Taman Megah,
Petaling Jaya, 47301,
Selangor D.E.
Tel:03-7806 4992

Surprise that I posted some medical shops. Yup, they have DG products on an allocated shelf...:biggrin:

g88

3,000 RPM

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
In desperate attempt to protect my black dashboard from cracks, I coated it with dashboard shine

with COSWAY dashboard shine gell.

It was RM6.50 distributor price per 375ml bottle

It was stated on the bottle as being able to protect against dulling, cracking and against UV, UB or whatever U rays..

Its already many months I coated my dashboard with the product and I find that the shine quite irritating, especially when it reflects the sun, glare into my eyes while driving...

Even at night the beams of incoming cars also glares...

Probably I overdo it too much with the coatings as I was more concerned of preserving my dashboard
from cracks which I see on other similar car, moreover mine is a UK spec, and the dashboard is not meant for tropical countries.

Can anyone advise on how to make it less shiny and at the same time protected from all tthe harmful UV UUV UC rays ?

Detailers advice also welcomed with thanks! :wavey::adore::biggrin:
just start with the easiest method. Damp cloth and wipe it couple of time. No need to try with any detergent or chemical yet.

tonnes of vinly/rubber/dash protectant are in the market. U may start with anything from Big Aeon

madart

madart

Apr 18, 2013
Queensland Aust
Get a product like McGuires quick interior detailer if you can.
It restores, cleans and protects all plastic (and plastic coated leather- which most is in car upholstery) to its original look- not shiny. Avoid anything that makes it shiny! ... which is usually also sticky and attracts dust. Follow the instructions closely, don't let it dry before wiping and avoid the window glass.
It works and protects from UV. The sun here is as strong as in your country.
This is my nine year old interior.

Last edited:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
pretty good looking interior you have there. Hard to believe that it is 9 years old.

I have seen worst interior and the car is barely 2 years old.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As you can see from the heavily shrouded example of what looks to be the latest Mitsubishi Mirage, currently being sold in the Thailand market, we were lucky to spot this test vehicle at the Saujana area that was about to be towed back to Mitsubishi HQ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience