Getting the low down on the MP4-12C’s dual-clutch transmission by Graziano

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Leaning towards the JDM side of the automotive spectrum, we’re probably more familiar with the likes of Getrag, Borg-Warner and ZF, independent transmission suppliers that have worked closely with Japanese and other auto manufacturers to supply the gearboxes that we often crave.

Moving on to the stratospheric end of said spectrum, where supercars strike fear into the hearts of others with mere prods of their throttles, it’s the likes of Graziano that provides the cog-swapping solutions for them.

The Italian outfit has built transmissions for Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Maserati, just to name a few. Even the new Independent Shifting Rod (ISR) transmission in the Lamborghini Aventador is from them.

Unsurprisingly then, the gearbox in the McLaren MP4-12C is also from the Italians. How it functions is somewhat different from the normal dual-clutch transmissions that we’re accustomed to. Designated as a ‘pre-cog’ dual-clutch transmission, the gearbox in the MP4-12C allows the driver to pre-select the next gear and load it onto the second clutch before engaging it, drastically slashing shift times to practically nothing.

Furthermore, the transmission is also said to be the lightest, most compact, most refined and also durable of its kind. It’s also suitable for use on track and racing situations as the gearbox is capable of maintaining fluids pumping at high pressure on the inside even in situations of multi-directional loading, basically extreme use, much like you would experience on race tracks.

How would it stack up against the likes of the cog-swappers from Ferrari and Lamborghini? Well only time will tell, or more comprehensive reviews but then again, Steve Sutcliffe from Autocar, who reviewed the Aventador in the previous post, has already mentioned that the Raging Bull’s gearbox isn’t quite up to par with its peers.

Source: Autoblog

Last edited:

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
just a quick question.
normally, the car company design (and patented) then outsource it to Graziano to fabricate OR Graziano designed it then propose to the car company?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there,

Can anyone share some info where i can tune a/f and check my O2?
Someone told me to tune this a/f the workshop need to have some kind of michine?
my 1.6 satria fc very bad, superb bad. full tank max is 300km only..
My location is Kepong, hoping someone will give out helping hands.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience