FT-86 chief project engineer himself confirms tuner focus of the car

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

One of the forum members of Club4AG, Moto-P, got the chance to attend a dinner meeting with the chief project engineer of the Toyota FT-86, Tetsuya Tada, and got to see the final production version as well as some of the juicy details regarding the car that pretty much confirm that the car was designed with tuning and the aftermarket scene in mind.

The FT-86, was from the onset, designed and intended to be a purist sports car for enthusiasts. The engine, although based on the EJ20 boxer mill from project partner Subaru, has been entirely recast by Toyota. Nonetheless, all the four mounting points of the engine in the bay remain the same as the EJ20 in the Subarus, allowing owners drop in race-ready EJ20 engines into the car.

Toyota also got their old friends at Yamaha to tune the exhaust note of the car to really bring out that boxer burble when you floor it. If you’re planning to enter the FT-86 in some sanctioned race events, you’ll be pleased to know that there are creases and folds on the edge of the sides of the dashboard that allow you to install a rollcage without having to cut up the dashboard.

Tada himself also mentioned that the production version might do without a CD player and navigation unit to keep things simple but considering that most people have iPods or portable music players, iPod and AUX connectivity will be offered.

All this could only spell a bright future for the FT-86 and the return to basics as well as prominent attention on the aftermarket side of things really does align back Toyota with the sporty image it projected back in the day with the AE86, MR2, Celica and Supra. This is definitely one car I would pick over an orgy with Blake Lively and Amber Heard.

Source: Club4AG

Attachments

kimoka

Known Member
Jul 20, 2006
i would pick nothing over an orgy with blake lively and amber heard.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Wonder when it's gonna be launch and would the selling price be below RM250k?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i would only approve this car as lightweight sports car if they manage to get this car weight below 1250kilos... :proud:

vince69

Known Member
Sep 15, 2008
EJ20 ? Wat engine ?
hmm, will it be the new challenger for GTR35 ?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Don't like Toyota but this car really look sexy .. Lol

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
EJ20 ? Wat engine ?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

it's not a Toyota.. it's Subaru.. or is it the other way around??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

i wish i can own one.. :driver:

definitely can tapau S2000.. :biggrin:

Last edited:

DivineWind

May 6, 2006
KL
EJ20 ? Wat engine ?

2000 cc engine, so can't touch the gtr ... yet

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
EJ20 ? Wat engine ?

Bro.. its a different class car... so i don't think it will tapau GTR unless heavily modified one VS a stock GTR35

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Wut people need now from Toyota is a replacement for the almighty Supra and indestructable 2JZ ... not another celica or AE ........

The LFA doesnt cut it ... unaffordable ... make something for the masses to stay true to Toyota with something to challenge the GTR :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

which Nissan model use same absorber with Nissan Sentra year 2002? looking for adj.absorber
for nissan sentra but not local custom make one, pls help me, thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience