Fluctuating Car Temperature (Towards the H side)

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

My 10 years old Lancer CY4A is giving me flucttouating temperature issue, the temperature gauge shows towards the high side and will return to normal at random timing. The engine still takes normal time to reach operating temperature, and fluctuations can start without any given symptoms. Here's what i have gathered so far:

1.) Head gasket - unlikely because my coolant in radiator is always full even early in the morning, no white exhausts smoke nor weird engine performance issue
2.) Water pump - mild chances that its faulty, because it was replaced 2 years ago with other pulleys as well. It does not leak any coolant and it's extremely rare that a water pump is damaged without leaking coolant
3.) Thermostat - Very high chances, the thermostat has never been replaced for the past 10 years, 230k KMs mileage. From my experience, thermostat can be either stuck open or stuck closed, intermittent issue is also possible but not very frequent.

Any other possible issues that i may missed out?

P/S: Last week has been very awesome, 2 of my main cars having same temperature issue, the other one has blown fan motor which is under repair. In this very hot weather, all of our cars' cooling systems are working overdrive, so please get your cooling systems checked and top up coolant, you don't want to end up like me. 2 cars in a row.

Thanks,
Ken

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Happened to me on my waja (Renault F4P engine). Turns out just bad grounding. Temperature is normal all the time. Was scared at first thinking the worst...expensive repair bill.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
One of the things also worth checking is the radiator cap. If it's not opening/closing properly it'll cause problems too. Cheap replacement

Reactions: sanekit

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Why not change the thermostat first and check from there.......
You are right, the 230k mileage thermostat has reached its limit, we tested my old one vs new one, the old is significant opens slower and lesser in gap, water pump has no physical symptoms (thank god !) and should not need replacement . We are replacing the thermostat first and monitor from there.

Happened to me on my waja (Renault F4P engine). Turns out just bad grounding. Temperature is normal all the time. Was scared at first thinking the worst...expensive repair bill.
Grounding is reworked for months and did not see any weird symptoms, so it should pass.

One of the things also worth checking is the radiator cap. If it's not opening/closing properly it'll cause problems too. Cheap replacement
Well said, however no physical damages or spilt from the radiator cap side so it should be safe, does it worth upgrading to hold more PSI ?

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Could be a bad water temp sensor. Just replace it , isnt very expensive.
No fault code detected, i heard from LGT club folks that it will should CEL if one of any sensors went wrong on the engine side.

Thanks,
Ken

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
No fault code detected, i heard from LGT club folks that it will should CEL if one of any sensors went wrong on the engine side.

Thanks,
Ken
In general, For water temperature display purpose ecu will take whatever reading from the sensor as good. Error code will come out if the sensor is totally kaput or not detected.
Anyway, in cars with ecu any rise in temperature above the set limit will trigger the radiator fan ON. Does this happened when your temp rises?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
In general, For water temperature display purpose ecu will take whatever reading from the sensor as good. Error code will come out if the sensor is totally kaput or not detected.
Anyway, in cars with ecu any rise in temperature above the set limit will trigger the radiator fan ON. Does this happened when your temp rises?
Yes the fan is working very hard when the temp raises above normal temperature, which in long term is very unhealthy as it will shorten the lifespan of the fan motor, although the symptoms only show very short period of time, but i am still worried the fan motor might be affected.

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well said, however no physical damages or spilt from the radiator cap side so it should be safe, does it worth upgrading to hold more PSI ?
Nah, no point uprating the PSI. It just means it's holding in more heat - which is what you don't really want.

Yes the fan is working very hard when the temp raises above normal temperature, which in long term is very unhealthy as it will shorten the lifespan of the fan motor, although the symptoms only show very short period of time, but i am still worried the fan motor might be affected.

Thanks,
Ken
time for an upgrade of fans! SPAL!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You are right, the 230k mileage thermostat has reached its limit, we tested my old one vs new one, the old is significant opens slower and lesser in gap, water pump has no physical symptoms (thank god !) and should not need replacement . We are replacing the thermostat first and monitor from there.
Thanks,
Ken
Hope is thermostat issue, the slower and lesser gap could be the problem. Hope all is well......:driver:

Reactions: Mitevo7

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hope is thermostat issue, the slower and lesser gap could be the problem. Hope all is well......:driver:
Just got it changed, the temp seems stablized like before but i haven't have time to take it for a hardcore run. For now i will be hooning my 1J until i have time to retrieve the car

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hi All,

I am replacing the radiator with a racing aluminium one due to the stock radiator finally clocked out itself. As we open up the inside, this is how it looks like in the images.

Is it consider very clogged ? My mechanic said its pointless to clean it anyway and there's broken pieces inside the radiator as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi All,

I am replacing the radiator with a racing aluminium one due to the stock radiator finally clocked out itself. As we open up the inside, this is how it looks like in the images.

Is it consider very clogged ? My mechanic said its pointless to clean it anyway and there's broken pieces inside the radiator as well.

Thanks,
Ken
Can still be use, just require servicing.
What broken pieces is there? i can see only oxidation.

Radiator servicing shop will run through a long small piece of steel or coppler into the water line to clear the line, assemble, then test for leak.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im thinking of buying a car and renting it out when im not using it. Is there a rental need for suzuki swift sport? Are hatchback easy to rent out?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience