Fitting Stretched tyres - The extreme Japanese way!

Staff

Oct 6, 2008
Kuala Lumpur

Fitting a tyre on a wheel is easy. To stretch a narrower than suitable tyre to a wider wheel require a different set of skills as the regular practice will prove almost impossible. This exploding propane technique is one of the many homemade ways to stretch a tyre onto a wider wheel. Though we'd not recommend anyone trying without proper safety measures.

If you care to understand the culture, when it's all about stance, stretched tyres can really compliment and complete the look of a car especially when you can run really wide wheels in smaller diameters to achieve a really low and flushed to fender stance.

YouTube - 最強?  引ã£å¼µã‚Šã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ¤ã€€è’æ¥* ãã®3 LPGãƒãƒ¼ã‚¸ãƒ§ãƒ³

YouTube - 引ã£å¼µã‚Šã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ¤ã€€è’æ¥* 2本åŒæ™‚www

what is stretch?

"stretch" refers to stretching a narrower tire over a wider wheel, the sidewalls stretch from the lip to the tread

why do stretched tires?
well the whole thing started in germany/belgium, local laws required that the tire tread be within the fender line. well that doesnt allow one to run wider or lower offset wheels, so they put narrower tires on the wheel to maintain legality

when you would like to run really wide or low offset wheels and keep the tire tread at the fender
when you would like to go really low and not rub

isnt this unsafe?
there hasnt been any soild evidence that running a stretched tire is any more dangerous than a regular tire.

where can i get tires stretched?
any reputable wheel/tire shop should be able to do it. i know when i did a 215-45 kumho on a 8.5" wheel, it took one shop 90lbs to pop the bead. getting a 225-45 on a 9 and a 245-40 on a 10.5 took another shop 50 lbs

can't you afford the right tire size?
the tire that stretch the most tend to be at the top of the price list, so it isnt an issue

what tires stretch best?
from what i have seen, the best tires with regards to stretch are:
toyo t1-s
dunlop sp9000
dunlop sp8080e
falken fk451
im sure there are more, but look for a tire with a rounded shoulder and a lip protector, they tend to give the "desirable" look

but staggered wheels are stupid on fwd cars, arent you worried about handling?
its all about looks, you wont see anyone with low offset deep dish wheels flopping around the autox course.

what size/offset wheels are the best for a staggered look
its all about personal preference. me, i have 17x9et26 and 17x10.5et26 and i couldnt ask for a better setup. some may not like the look but thats why people build their cars for themselves

arent you worried about curbing a wheel?
take a look in the classifieds and count the number of wheels on regular tires compared to those on stretched tires with damage.

As quoted from: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2234638

Attachments

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
Malaysian roads = rim bengkok = expensive bodykit repair

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
Wow .. I've seen many cars with tyres like this .. but didnt know they actually did this .. amazing ..

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
They used propane or butane liquid gas to spray around the rims and then they made a "guide" line for safety precaution by spraying the gas out from the rims, just like a dynamite with that burning thread. Then they ignite the gas, its highly flammable so in that short period of time, a vacuum will be created around the burned gas. The tyres will be sucked outwards due to the strong suction from the vacuum area.. just like the black hole, suck everything in :D

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yep...

off-roader use this style to install their off-road tyre....much faster than waiting air going through the valve.... :adore:

but if not mistaken tyre shop in malaysia use something similiar to "compressed-air BOMB" where it got tank to store high pressure compressed air and a quick release valve.... correct me if wrong... .:adore:

p/s:watching fire on tyre was exciting :biggrin:

2,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2005
where to get the propane? i know where to get the butane (it's the cooking gas right?)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i guess mosquito aerosl spray can be used since it was flamable oso???? :adore:

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
any aerosol spray can that is combustible... concept of air expand when heated...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi.. Guys..
Need your help here.. T_T
My lovely swift being stolen today(9-9-2010) at prima setapak's car park (genting klang area)at 8.30pm..

blue colour swift..
sport bodykits..
ori rims..
carbon sticker on the hood..
WSS9247..

any have saw this ride pls alert me.. thx..
EDISON-0102125026

appreciate your help to spread the news

thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience