Extractor heat..

soulfly

500 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
Miri
fakhrain.blogdrive.com
Originally posted by bigboystoys@Jan 24 2005, 11:04
thermal wrapping your exhaust is not for the sake of shielding heat away from your open pods, radiators.. whatnots..
it's to keep the exhaust gas temperature as constant as possible throughout your exhaust system. this is to ensure there's no drop in exhaust gas velocity when it's exiting the system; you don't want to induce unnecessary backpressure, neither do you want to screw up the functions of the properly calculated extractor lengths that was designed to help 'suck' out exhaust gas from another cylinder.

the normal mild steel extractors would crack if thermal wrapped, just switch to stainless steel extractors and you'll be safe.

don't get confused between thermal wrapping and heat shielding guys
:)
he is correct guys

thermal wrapping the extractor does help prevent heat from released to the engine bay, but not that much. heatshield is still the best way to reduce the heat.

blur_civic

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
KL/PJ
ooo... nice pointer there... get us back on track on the main purpose of thermal wrapping.. the difference of thermal wrapping and heat shielding differs greatly based on your explanation.. thermal wrapping for maintaining consistency IN exhaust system.. heat shielding to "separate" hot air from the extractor from filter.. so i guess probably should just do both.. :P

I am not DIY'ing on my extractor.. :) hate to say this but too plain lazy too... i feel bad but it is the truth..

alas.. this "should" be the end of my extractor story.. drove by a few shops today and everyone who looked at it says it is better not to thermal wrap my extractor (which looks a little "stainless steel" by the way) as it would most probably crack..

However.. ended up talking with one shop about changing the whole exhaust system (another el cheapo system for me) from extractor (one which can be wrapped) to the muffler and everything in between.. muHAhahAHAHhahahahaHAHah... NO! I must refrain!...

Pardon the final uncalled for laughter... its the 1-day Holiday kicking in.. :blink:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Morning to all Sifus & Seniors,
I'm trying to upgrading my Honda Accord 2007 to 30-50% more Horsepower and Torque,is there any simple and minor modifications to get done that's??I am trying to install its with gadgets like Turbosmart Fuel Pressure Regulators or maybe with high performance spark plugs..
Is there any others simple and effective ways on doing thats,really dont have any ideas..So,would like to have some advised from ZTH seniors and sifus comments..

Please Advised ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience