Extractor heat..

gibod_78

1,500 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
by looking at it.. mivec thermal cover will not 100% shield the heat from extractor.. but i think its a good concept..

some says thermal wrappping extractor can cause it to crack coz heat is not released..
and a known fact is without over.. 100% heat will be release to engine bay which makes hot air will be sucked in air ram..

so.. mivec shield will at least do 50-50 for both lor... reduce risk of extractor cracking and reduce hot air in engine bay..

well.. unless u want to create a racing car off course.. :)

blur_civic

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
KL/PJ
my thoughts exactly... dont really need to get those with high-end brands.. as long as it blocks (to a certain extent) then it should be ok....

i dont think the mivec concept (using the original extractor cover right?) works to block the heat from the extractor... I think it just "deflect" the heat away from the radiotor and air-cond compressor... it will still enter an open pod filter...

not for a race car purpose... Just hand itchy.. hahahaha... :P

taqu

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
I don't think OEM extractor cover will totally shield the engine area from extractor heat, but it's simple & keeps heat away from aircond compressor. Well, I don't feel any amount of heat insulation work can save ur open-pod airfilter from getting hot air, without endangering the engine heat getting trapped. If u really wanna a good & cheap way of dissipating heat from ur engine, the most crude way would be removing ur front grille & bumper, or if really crazy, remove ur front bonnet :lol:

soulfly

500 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
Miri
fakhrain.blogdrive.com
Originally posted by blur_civic@Jan 18 2005, 19:08
went to a acc shop today.. price for thermal wrap is RM80.. forgot to check out how many meters.. anyone know the price for thermal wrap from autobags.. hehehe.. looking for budgeted ones... :P
don't buy at car accesories shop

better buy at hardware stores, much much cheaper i believe

4agze

2,000 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by soulfly+Jan 19 2005, 18:11 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulfly @ Jan 19 2005, 18:11 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blur_civic@Jan 18 2005, 19:08
went to a acc shop today.. price for thermal wrap is RM80.. forgot to check out how many meters.. anyone know the price for thermal wrap from autobags.. hehehe.. looking for budgeted ones... :P
don't buy at car accesories shop

better buy at hardware stores, much much cheaper i believe [/b][/quote]
Like Ace-Hardware?

blur_civic

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
KL/PJ
I went asking around... RM80 for Arospeed thermal wrap... everywhere i go is the same...
RM60+- for installation (dont want to mention shop name) :blink: More expensive than I thought.. Or everyone is trying to potong me.. hahaha.. lazy to DIY ler...

Yeah.. I think Hardware store would be cheaper too.. must go rounding and look for hardware stores.. :)

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
u think that's expensive? I asked an exhaust shop near my office b4...they wanted to charge me over RM200!! :blink:

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
so is wrapping or heatshielding it better?? cause im thinking of changing extractors butthen dunno wether should i use back the original heat shield or just wrap it up?? whats the suggestion?? does it really effect the air cond and radiator is never wrap or heat shield it?

blur_civic

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
KL/PJ
it has always been said that heat from your extractor will kill your compressor fan... but then again.. 50% says yes... 50% says no... so some cars are ok where as other cars suffer problems..

I guess it must depend on cars.. some cars have wider gap between the extractor and compressor fan...

Hahaha... RM200 is just too crazy! Actually i think you can just go to any exhaust shop and ask them to take out the extractor for you... you balut yourself and then ask them to reinstall the extractor... cost should be a minimum then...

I will most propably be thermal wrapping it... but i think heatshield is better... too bad I cant find a heat shield for my car... and my original one doesnt suit the aftermarket extractor...

4agze

2,000 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
KL
Visit site
can DIY the heat shield... also, my mechanic says it is better to thermal wrap it until your exhaust muffler...

blur_civic

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
KL/PJ
wow... then I will need quite a lot.. RM80 was for 7 meters of Arospeed Thermal Wraps.. Saw another brand which was RM40 or 50 for 4 meters of Hurricane Thermal Wraps..

But I cant wrap all the way.. need to do my piping first.. :P so for the time being I will only balut the extractor.. :)

I tried DIY the heatshield before.. failed.. hahaha.. the metal piece i cut was too small..

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
anyone know if powerzone extractors can be wrapped? It looks like regular galvanized steel...or what shops call piping putih...

will it crack or anyting if wrapped? can we DIY this...cuz my extractor is relatively easy to remove...Does the Thermal Wrap come with all the required clips to install it?

blur_civic

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
KL/PJ
i remember reading from somewhere here that piping putih should be able to withstand heat better than those shiny ones.. (cant remember what its called)

and yes.. thermal wrap should come with all the clips required.. 4 or 5 i believe.. unless you are getting them from hardware shop or something.. :)

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
thermal wrapping your exhaust is not for the sake of shielding heat away from your open pods, radiators.. whatnots..
it's to keep the exhaust gas temperature as constant as possible throughout your exhaust system. this is to ensure there's no drop in exhaust gas velocity when it's exiting the system; you don't want to induce unnecessary backpressure, neither do you want to screw up the functions of the properly calculated extractor lengths that was designed to help 'suck' out exhaust gas from another cylinder.

the normal mild steel extractors would crack if thermal wrapped, just switch to stainless steel extractors and you'll be safe.

don't get confused between thermal wrapping and heat shielding guys
:)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I believe some of us had read about this Monster, monster is to challenge the Pikes Peak in a "Suzuki Sport XL7 Hill Climb Special" this year. We will expose the Monster's features.

This giant features a 1000HP V6 VVT 3.6 liter engine...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience