Experience with bump stopper, anyone?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
No no.. not for my Airtrek. My Airtrek has enough ground clearance eventho I am using Eibach Pro-Kit. I am referring to my RX8. Okay, I know I sud put under the Rotarian Forum but there aren't much response from them. This question is more of general actually.

Anyone has experience with bump stopper? I mean they are rubber rings installed between coil spring's spiral. This is to avoid the spring compress too much, causing undercarraige bottoming.

My RX8 is Mazdaspeed version, so it comes with lowered suspension. When driving alone or with my wife, it is fine. But with my teen kids on board, I scratch the undercarraige whenever I go over speed bumps around my housing estate. This is really annoying.

Installing bump stopper is the cheapest solution I can think of. My next solution is to sell the Mazdaspeed suspension and get adjustables which I am very reluctant to do so.

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Those rubber spacers you put between springs will eventually deform the shape of your spring since some parts of your spring compresses and the others doesn't.

It's a cheap solution but also a gradual way to kill the spring.

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
thanks for the feedback and comment bro.. yeah. I did not think of that too.. so it's not a wise choice.

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
afraid it will affect the ride comfort.. maybe too harsh and bumpy.. btw haven't use it yet. hehe

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I've got very high tolerence on comfort and harshness level. This is after I started using Airtrek Turbo where stock coils are already very hard. Coupe that I am using Eibach Pro-Kit now, it's worse! So my family got used to it. In fact, we feel that RX8 is 'softer' than my Airtrek, hahaha..

Thanks for your reply bro peeche! :)

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
I've got very high tolerence on comfort and harshness level. This is after I started using Airtrek Turbo where stock coils are already very hard. Coupe that I am using Eibach Pro-Kit now, it's worse! So my family got used to it. In fact, we feel that RX8 is 'softer' than my Airtrek, hahaha..

Thanks for your reply bro peeche! :)
if like that maybe you can try the bump stopper first. if ineffective you can upgrade to adjustable later. by selling back your mazdaspeed coils will raise some funds.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
soft spring not good for cornering..hard spring not good for sitting.got half-half version?stock perhaps?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
My next choice is adjustables. Dun want too much trouble.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
rotary's club should have lotsa info...ask their opinion b4 buying

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You should try use a slightly longer rubber bushing/stopper (the one which is inserted to the shaft of the shocks/dampers).
I agree not to use those rubbers which are inserted in between the coil springs because it will also change your spring rate.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i've use d rubber thingy..

it wont last long.. & i think it doesnt break ur spring.. it's d other way around

rubber vs metal :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Best solution is air suspension but won't be cheap :rofl:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Air suspension will cost around 20K right? My BIL whose into VIP asked for price before. No la.. my car is just a plain ol car. Need to get used to it lo...

thanks for all the reckons.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Air suspension will cost around 20K right? My BIL whose into VIP asked for price before. No la.. my car is just a plain ol car. Need to get used to it lo...

thanks for all the reckons.
Not sure how much, only heard is at least 5 figure. :smile:
Seen a 350Z have it before at Mist Club according to a friend of mine. During Miss Hypertune
event, some 2 years back I think.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm looking for an AT car for my mum with budget around RM15,000, preferable not more than 10 years old.
What's in my mind are:

1. Kancil
2. Kenari
3. Kelisa
4. Hyundai Atos

She is short and small size, just got her licence a few moons ago. My dad Jimmy is too hard for her, she will use the car in a small town. I would be glad with some inputs from you guys about this. Which would be the best considering quality, reliability, FC and maintenance? I just couldn't decide on this yet...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience