experience on HWL adjustable suspension?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
hrm.... when u refer to damping adjustment, are u meaning the spring rates or the damping of the abs.
damping boss....thats the meaning of soft-hard adjustment on the absorber... :adore: if normal hi-lo u can't adjust the damping unless overhaul the abs and change the valve inside......if soft-hard surely u just need to twist the damping adjustment knob only....

for spring rate no matter what type or brand of adjustable u still need to buy another set of spring with diff rate to change...

ghostRACER

May 11, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I want to ask here..i heard people say about short stroke absorber, so what about hwl hi/lo/soft/hard+bodyshift? did they come out with short stroke method

are_i

Known Member
May 4, 2006
what is the suitable spring rate for drag perpose if im planing to used hi/lo HWL absober... what i have in mind is like 8k f/6k r .....since i ride eg3 n i plan to shave about 100 - 200kg from my stock body is it gone be gd with the set up or do i need to stiffen it even more plus i plan to lower it to 1 inch at the front n mybe 1 1/2 or 2 inch at the back

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
its not fully short stroke...but u can use the body shift function to mimick the short stroke (making the whole absorber assembly body shorter than normal or longer than normal)

so u can always use full absorber shaft and spring travel distant yet still can lower the car to the lowest setting...(so less bumpy than normal lowering spring base method)

ghostRACER

May 11, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
its not fully short stroke...but u can use the body shift function to mimick the short stroke (making the whole absorber assembly body shorter than normal or longer than normal)

so u can always use full absorber shaft and spring travel distant yet still can lower the car to the lowest setting...(so less bumpy than normal lowering spring base method)

oic..so whats brand actually come out with fully short stroke absorber?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
oic..so whats brand actually come out with fully short stroke absorber?
i think most european brands do have short stroke absorber...but thats for track use... :adore:

and another issue was the price :biggrin:

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
hi bros,

I am not using HWL but GAB SS, but i guess its safe to ask here, since we are oso talking abt suspension :D

I am driving swift sport and just changed to F7 R5 spring rate. I have been using it now for 3 days and the cornering now is good, but not comfortable.... very stiff. Is this because my car kerb weight is light (1100kg) and causes it to be uncomfortable at road bumps and uneven road? I have changed the dampers to the lowest setting, but still feel uncomfortable and the car bouncy. Thinking to change to lower spring rates like F5 R4. Am I going to the right path?

Need sifu advises... many thanks!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
hi bros,

I am not using HWL but GAB SS, but i guess its safe to ask here, since we are oso talking abt suspension :D

I am driving swift sport and just changed to F7 R5 spring rate. I have been using it now for 3 days and the cornering now is good, but not comfortable.... very stiff. Is this because my car kerb weight is light (1100kg) and causes it to be uncomfortable at road bumps and uneven road? I have changed the dampers to the lowest setting, but still feel uncomfortable and the car bouncy. Thinking to change to lower spring rates like F5 R4. Am I going to the right path?

Need sifu advises... many thanks!
what was your spring rate before 7&5? i think 6&4 was good enough....perhaps if 5&4 was on soft side....

but before changing into another spring maybe u can try firm up your damping more than before and see if u like the way it reacts.... :adore:

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Hi bro PomenGTR,

Previously on stock suspension, so i am not sure on the spring rate. The default from GAB is F7 R5 and the damping is 16 clicks front and 16 clicks rear (max 32) which is too stiff, hence i tried soften the dampers. I have survey most of after market japanese coilovers and the rating is from Greddy, Ohlin, HKS is F5 or F6 and R4.... so it got me thinking to get lower spring rates.... I dun attend track sessions, and i am going to lower abit as well, so i guess i just need a little harder than stock.

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i do agree that 7&5 is on the stiff side for your car...

as example my car was a stock standard proton satria 1.6 with kerb weight +-1112kg (from wiki site) and currently using 6&4 spring combination...not too soft nor too stiff..(wifey and father in-law didn't complaint about the ride quality)....(earlier i'm using 8&4 combo that awesome on corners but a bit too stiff for daily usage)

so your decision for 5&4 spring should work fine.....

and if u were looking decent spring replacement u can try call for top perfect sg. buloh (HWL manufacturer) because they were selling springs for adjustable...almost common spring rate available....and priced rm250/pair if i remember correctly.... :adore:

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks bro.... but will HWL springs fit GAB coilovers? haha... anyway going back to RS One to change to lower spring rate since its only 3 days after install...

BTW ur car stock satria? ur siggie show a roll cage wor.. wakakaka :D

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Thanks bro.... but will HWL springs fit GAB coilovers? haha... anyway going back to RS One to change to lower spring rate since its only 3 days after install...

BTW ur car stock satria? ur siggie show a roll cage wor.. wakakaka :D
oh ya..yep u always can go back to the dealer/seller and request to change the springs...

most common adjustable springs are interchangeable..in fact i'm using gab springs for the hwl shocks....(coz stumbled upon them very2 cheap 2ndhand spring while looking for softer option earlier)

errrrrr...thats my other satria...the stock one was opposite of the green one.... :driver:

Lockman

Feb 24, 2006
hello..
i'm driving a vios '06 (first model facelift)..
planning to buy HWL hi lo soft hard..
what is the best spring rates?
tamau keras sgt.. tamau lembut sgt..
tapi mau corner sedap sedap..
in JB where to get? how much?
tq..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sifu,

i planning to send my engine for full balancing but i don have any idea who and where to send it.I heard there is 1 in damansara but im not sure abt it. Any other recommend reputated machinery shop can do this in kl? how much would they charge?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience