Experience on 3SGE Beams on AE111

tHrottle power

Known Member
Aug 29, 2008
Dear All,

I would like ask some of you who r driving corolla with 3SGE(Ae101 or AE111 will better) on your experience with this mod.

Recently, i ve bump with a 3SGE beams VVTi half cut from older caldina model(auto). I ve seems numerous mod on this engine on the web, yet never had much idea or meet up with experience owner who had this mode in their corolla. So i would like to check this matter with you all and with some question in mind.

1. How difficult is this mode?
2. How is the torque band?(with 2.0cc I m expecting good torque from low rev)
3. How much is the FC??compare to 4AGE 20v(which i m using)
4. Can it run on RON95??
5. Any cons on this project or mod that u think??(aside from 3SGE is more heavier that 4AGE)

cheers

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Hi throttle power, looks like the halfcut is Caldina GT with "grey top" Beams single VVTi engine. This is rather a rare choice as most would have opt for "redtop" Beams from Celica ST202. I've seen a couple of redtop Beams on AE101, as it is the most powerful single VVTi Beams available for FWD platform.

With proper tuning, a redtop Beams will make 190whp easily with stock internals and like the 20v, you need to rev it to 6000rpm to get the max torque... although low-end torque is much higher than 20v though. FC wise, its a little bit higher compared to 20v (2.0 vs 1.6). Installation can be quite complicated as the engine mounting has to be modified. Also take note that sourcing a proper MT gearbox is kinda tough too as mostly are fitted with AT boxes. Ron95 shouldn't be a problem since it has knock sensor but expect some powerloss as the engine was designed to run Ron100 like the 20v.

Btw, I hope you are aware that both single VVTi Beams are different than the Dual VVTi Beams engine found on RWD Altezza. On a side note, why not consider getting a 3SGTE instead?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
YEah... Hope more people especially those who experienced this mod can share. This was one of my options before. In kk, I've only seen an AE111 using 3S-GTE 4WD (TRD Edition). Haven't seen any BEAMS around.

How much work is there to do to mod a FWD vehicle to RWD? A lot of work??? Possible? It was on sale on mudah last time.

How is the FC and maintenance and parts availability?

tHrottle power

Known Member
Aug 29, 2008
pcmoddingmy, thanks for the info...greatly appreciate the reply. As this is my daily driven ride, i m hesitate to do extreme modding. So 3SGTE is definitely out, plus my aim just to have a smooth torque ride in auto(mayb old n lazy, so couldn't resist temptation of auto). At the moment, i m just collecting n gathering info...as this mode is not gonna be cheap n will be labour intensive. This is a project in limbo...........thanks

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
Hi tHrottle power,

Sorry, can't tell you much about engine being inside a Corolla but maybe you can get some info here :biggrin::

Beams Owners Group

banzai

1,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL \ Ipoh
Visit site
pcmoddingmy, thanks for the info...greatly appreciate the reply. As this is my daily driven ride, i m hesitate to do extreme modding. So 3SGTE is definitely out, plus my aim just to have a smooth torque ride in auto(mayb old n lazy, so couldn't resist temptation of auto). At the moment, i m just collecting n gathering info...as this mode is not gonna be cheap n will be labour intensive. This is a project in limbo...........thanks
if you are serious about this,take a drive to Powerspeed Auto in Kajang. Look for Ah Nga 0192174320. he did transplant ST202 redtop beams into AE101 before.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
YEah... Hope more people especially those who experienced this mod can share. This was one of my options before. In kk, I've only seen an AE111 using 3S-GTE 4WD (TRD Edition). Haven't seen any BEAMS around.

How much work is there to do to mod a FWD vehicle to RWD? A lot of work??? Possible? It was on sale on mudah last time.

How is the FC and maintenance and parts availability?
to convert a FWD vehicle to RWD is almost impossible.. unless u have a factory like Proton , Toyota, etc..

the best way to do this is to convert the FWD vehicle into cash 1st.. then convert the cash into a RWD car.. it's easier..

Gudluck :burnout:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
I'm sorry I can't tell you have the red top behave in the AE101 body (if at all, any difference) because mine is sitting in a ST150 body.

I don't think it'll be a good idea to red top in auto trans coz it shares similiar characteristics to the black top 4A, a high revving engine, which is rather sluggish at low revs. I know coz my wife has an auto trans black top.

So if you're still keen on the 3S auto, I'd suggest you either get the 165 (ST182/3) or 180 ps (ST 202/3) model which has better torque at the low revs.

3SGE 165 ps

180 ps

Good luck with your project & keep us updated, ya.:biggrin:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
throttle power, u can consider 3SGTE from Caldina ST215 which is an auto fyi. Refer here where one of the members here even transplanted it onto his Wish: http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/toyota/327254-3sgte-st215-into-ane11.html

Basically the engine mount of a 3SGE and 3SGTE are the same, prolly need to work on the gearbox (most 3SGTE are 4WD) and the intercooler additionally during the transplant. Plus, the Caldina ST215 halfcut are sold cheaper than 20v BT (http://www.mudah.my/3SGTE+ST215+dan+ST205+celica-8887535.htm)

Last edited:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
power......
Well, not exactly power... it was making bout 170whp, claimed by the owner. Thats like bone stock Beams redtop whp. Maybe something wrong with the dyno when he dynoed it... :hmmmm:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
u know the owner? 170whp i consider power already lo

tHrottle power

Known Member
Aug 29, 2008
A big thank you for all the reply, plus the recommendation and mudah add. I m really overwhelm. This is propose project that I ve may pursue in the future. At the moment, i will still driving my 4AGE 20v.

A big thanks again, greatly appreciate it.......

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
Well, not exactly power... it was making bout 170whp, claimed by the owner. Thats like bone stock Beams redtop whp. Maybe something wrong with the dyno when he dynoed it...
I don't think it's the problem of the dyno. I think prolly it's a floor unit, may not be even using the original BEAMS gear box coz he told me that he rojak the gearbox with MR2's.

2nd thing is with the list of upgraded parts & the Haltech brain to match, it should produce much more Hp than that. Either the tuner sucks or I suspect there's some complications with the engine.

u know the owner? 170whp i consider power already lo
Mine has much less mods than that & has more ponies, bro. :biggrin:

pcmoddingmy knows my car, that's why he said what he said la...:laugh:

Last edited: